Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2017, 01:59:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suitable for indoor flying?  (Read 376 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 19

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

Yesterday I was being shown around the local agricultural college and this included the indoor tennis courts.  There were four quite well spaced out in what amounted to a plastic "dome" held up by air pressure.  Now these are fairly common but it did strike me as an ideal venue for indoor flying - it is of course very large with a high ceiling - over forty feet  and probably fifty at the highest point in the centre of a rather wide arch an no projections etc.  Plus the walls are fairly soft with a little bit of give that would be quite model friendly.  I have seen these "buildings" elsewhere but never spent much time inside.  I would assume that the fans for maintaining the gentle air pressure would create too mmuch draught but yesterday it was indiscernible and on asking the technical chap said he thought disturbance of the air was very slight.   So has anyone flown in these places? I must admit I would be very tempted to give it a try!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »

I haven't personally flown in this type building. People who have have had a whole range of experiences from great to horrible. I think it's something you just have to try to see how the air is.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »

I think a lot depends upon the difference in temperatures between the inside and outside of the building.
Secondarily would be the amount of sunlight.

ALL buildings have pluses and minuses, and may be better at some times of the year than others.
You won't know until you try it!

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »

I am willing to come and test it out and report back for a modest charge.
I think they use a similar style edifice in Cheltenham or Gloucester, though I have never flown there.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »

Really?? I am within shouting distance of Cheltenham and Gloucester. No one tells me anything...

Cheers,

Dan.
Rossclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »

There was a big event in the US called KEIF people flew micro rc models. Most were built up floaters, it was one of these domes and people had no trouble flying in there. Try it out!

Ross
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »

There use to be a contest in Flint Michigan that we flew in for many years, it was a large indoor inflatable dome for hitting golf balls. The air inside would be great or horrible. Generally the sunny days the air was good, if cold or rainy then really turbulent.

Don
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 19

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:34 AM »

Thank you everyone - it looked so inviting I must say.  But was a nice day outside. I did not think to ask what happened in very windy weather.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »

There use to be a contest in Flint Michigan that we flew in for many years, it was a large indoor inflatable dome for hitting golf balls. The air inside would be great or horrible. Generally the sunny days the air was good, if cold or rainy then really turbulent.

Don

Huh... very interesting...

That's the opposite of what I thought would be the case. i would have thought the heating from the sun would cause problems.

I've wondered the same thing about large covered (American) football stadiums. AMA indoor Nationals at Lucas Oil Stadium?

bur someone said that the ventelation fans create way too much turbulance in a venue like that.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: