Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 27, 2017, 04:51:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bleriot XI-2 for indoor rubber  (Read 387 times)
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »

Well I think I may well have found my next indoor rubber project. Keeping to the 'Fearless Pre-WW1 Aviators' theme, following on nicely from Latham (nearly first over The Channel) and Chanteloup (first to loop a biplane) I fancy doing the Bleriot XI-2 of Oskar Bider, who in 1913 was the first to fly over the Alps in both directions. There are LOTS of often very good photographs of this aircraft in his pleasing Swiss markings, and there are excellent four view drawings of the exact type in the 'Bleriots at War' Windsock file. I might actually have good documentation before I start this time!

It's got a bit going for it for a rubber model I hope (more than my Caudron anyway!) and the nose, thought still short, is significantly longer than on a single seat Bleriot.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Bleriot XI-2 for indoor rubber
Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »

I shall be following this with much interest Peter. What scale/wingspan are you planning for the model ?

Nice to see the bones of your "G3" pictured in this month's Aeromodeller mag !!!  Shocked  Grin  Cheesy
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »

Pete, on this one you have at least a lot of room for a nice big and long rubber motor, no bunching  Grin no performance anxiety  Wink

And before you ask, LANGENBRUCK on the fin in the third photo is a nice village at 30km from Basel, near Olten, Biders birth place.
Will follow your topic!

Urs
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:05:49 PM by USch » Logged

Fast up-Slow down
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »

I've not decided on the span yet- 1/16 scale would be 25 inches, but I might go up to about 27 inches (1/14 scale). It needs to be floaty to look right.
Thanks for the Langenbruck info, Urs. Half the photos of Bider's machine (or possibly machines) have the village name and the shield logo on the rudder, the others have a Swiss cross in a circle, as under the wings. You're right- it should be a lot easier to fit in the motor. I'm thinking that the peg could still go quite far forward though; maybe where the fuslage covering stops. The lifting tailplane is an odd undercambered affair which might cause problems, but hopefully won't.
Won't be starting quite yet as I'm going to do a quick outdoor model next (Hollandair Libel) and then maybe the VMC SE5 kit, but meantime I'll keep collecting Bider Bleriot photos and looking for potential problems. The undercarriage will be fun!
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »

As if preparing for the Nats is not enough!
Respect ....  as they say.
Considered a Bleriot many times now .... when I was flying with 'Mr. Bleriot' himself (Paul Briggs) more often, I think it put me off a little!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »

Nice choice!!

Good luck,

Dan.
GrahamKennedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 02:32:31 AM »

I am following with interest too as I've considered a Bleriot as well. Although, I'm swaying more towards Indoor RC (boo, hiss)
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:16 AM »

Graham

For indoor RC you need to make it about 5 foot WS and weigh no more than 130g so it floats around at sub walking pace like Graham Smith's Scion this year.

John M
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:24 AM »

You're right- Graham Smith's earlier Voisin model looked fantastic flying at that pace, and if his Scion had been a Bleriot it would have looked perfect too. It still looked amazing but I'm guessing he was marked down for flying too slowly for a Scion?
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 165

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »

Peter,
I am not at all sure that a Bleriot is the model for you.  You are renowned in the aeromodelling world for your dedication to difficulty, your perseverance in adversity and your ingenuity in problem solving and I wonder if a dalliance with something that looks remarkable like a modern model aeroplane is a step in the wrong direction.
You don’t want to be like a fallen woman, losing your virginity (sorry) integrity for the dark delights of long rectangular fuselages and monoplane wings with even chord and normal trailing edges. Give it some thought else you might find yourself on the slippery slope to modelling a ‘Fike’.
Your number one fan.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »

Yes, you don't want to descend to a Fike, or you'll wind up like me. Starting mine after the Nats.

Graham
(Member of the "dihedral?! Pah!" Club)
 Grin Grin
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »

Well I'm sticking with Lacey for peanut.
I might even get the Boeing Vertol heli finished for kit scale at Nijmegen in November.
Assuming I recover at all from this weekend's Nats.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »

Peter,
I am not at all sure that a Bleriot is the model for you.  You are renowned in the aeromodelling world for your dedication to difficulty, your perseverance in adversity and your ingenuity in problem solving and I wonder if a dalliance with something that looks remarkable like a modern model aeroplane is a step in the wrong direction.
You don’t want to be like a fallen woman, losing your virginity (sorry) integrity for the dark delights of long rectangular fuselages and monoplane wings with even chord and normal trailing edges. Give it some thought else you might find yourself on the slippery slope to modelling a ‘Fike’.
Your number one fan.

Thank you for those kind words, John. I often think that I ought to take a lot more more notice of the expert advice you give on aerodynamics and trimming so I'm glad you haven't despaired of me yet!
I take your slippery slope warning, but reckon I can handle a bit of mild Bleriot without ever shooting up with pure Fike or Lacey. Just got to stay away from the dealers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: