Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 11:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glider Classifications  (Read 875 times)
wing man
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:06:33 PM »

Please tell me where to find a list of the catapult and hand launched glider classes.

thanks
wingman 
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/OutoorFreeFlight2017-2018.pdf
wing man
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »

Thanks.

wing man
xptical
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »

Those rules leave a lot to be desired.  For CLG, the requirements I see are:

1.  must have rigid wing

2.  not over 42 grams

3.  6" dowel 9" rubber

Do the local clubs impose additional limits?  Do 150mm, 6", 8" and larger gliders all compete in he same class?
Skymon
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »

There is no international FAI catapult glider class.
You need to be looking at National classes.

UK rules are BMFA:
3.7 Catapult Glider Class
(a) The glider must be launched by means of a catapult, powered only by rubber
(i) The maximum weight of rubber allowed is 2 grams and can be made up into any number of strands of any width. (Note: a 12 inch length of 0.25 wide strip weighs close to 2 grams)
(ii) The rubber may be attached to a handle. The maximum handle length shall be 6 inches.
(b) The competitor must launch the glider himself with the catapult held in one hand and the glider in the other.
(c) If a Catapult Glider competition is being held at the same time as a Hand Launched Glider competition then both shall be flown from the same ‘box’.
(d) Rules as for Hand Launched Glider Class - 3.6 (b) and (c) shall apply.

Other clubs and national bodies will have other rules.

S
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 12:18:16 AM »

The AMA rules for indoors specify max span, chord, and tail area (relative to the wing) for standard class. For unlimited class, there's an area limit. I suggest going to the AMA's web site and downloading the rules for the events you're interested in. I was surprised to learn that a maximum amount of rubber isn't specified, as I recall. Hence some of the unlimited models have two foot spans!

Outdoors, the 42 gram rule is redundant, at least until model airplane rubber improves tremendously. I should think 1/3 of that would be much better in most cases.

FAC contests often fly a "Baby Glider" event, which is limited to 10 inches. More about this in the Pinkham Field Handbook:
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/PFH12016.pdf
I've had a flight of about 2 minutes with one of these things, even though the wings were 1/16" sheet without any airfoil to speak of, and it was heavier than it should have been. It was a breezy day, but fortunately I had launched from the upwind edge of a large turf farm.

I think there have been various postal contests for other sizes of catapult gliders. There's a section for postal events here on Hip Pocket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: