Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 17, 2017, 02:39:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Indoor Event in India  (Read 643 times)
Glidiator
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »

The Aeromodellers Association of India (AMAI) will be hosting the first ever Indoor event in India from 12th to 15th May at Sonepat near the national Capital New Delhi.
This event has been due to my persistent interaction with the members of the association to hold such an event. The members are mainly RC flyers and at the recent Nationals for outdoor RC F3P class there were quite a number of participants with huge scale models including jets.
I attended the event mainly to meet the office bearers and impress upon them the need to encourage Indoor category events.
We finally have an event coming up in a couple of days.
This will be more an awareness campaign as I will probably be the only hardcore indoor free flight addict there.
I will be giving them a presentation and demo of free flight rubber.
Thanks to the invaluable advice an tips I have received from this forum members I seem to be the indoor rubber guru around this country.
Still a very long way to go to reach anywhere near international standards. But every journey begins with the first step.
I have suggested a single design contest and posted plans to our group. Have been advocating instituting a SO type event amongst the schools to build a pool of Indoor enthusiasts.
Perhaps next time have a F1Max as single design contest as it will be buildable by someone with moderate skills. F1D is a long way off.
Looking forward to the event and bring indoor aeromodelling into the consciousness of people in this country.
Incidentally many regions of the country have almost 4 months of monsoons (heavy rains) when outdoor flying is not possible as grounds are slushy. Ideal time to go indoors and enjoy the challenge and excitement of indoor flying. And we have several good indoor venues in most cities. And more importantly indoor aeromodelling costs nothing compared to the stuff that the RC flyers use outdoors. So it will be within the reach of a much larger audience and aeromodelling will not be just a rich man's past time.  

mike
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 01:16:26 AM »

Brilliant news - the best of luck to you all.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »

Well done Glid!

How did it go?
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »

The event was more a demo than a competition.
Had posted plans for the double whammy and A 6 and proposed a single design competition for starters. But no one really knew the nuances of constructing and trimming indoor rubber power models.
However there were around 250 school kids who were given a workshop on making a basic HLG and rubber model which they did and flew pretty decently for rank beginners.
The positives has been the sudden interest in indoor free flight amongst regular RC flyers and I have already travelled outstation to give detailed workshops on indoor rubber power.
For me I managed a very modest no touch flight of 1min 49 secs in what I estimate was a 25 ft ceiling. Would have got longer times with longer rubber but would have needed half a day to fine tune performance. Time was at a premium so that was it.
Will soon have more indoor events and will certainly have more serious competitors.
The Association is seriously considering inviting some international indoor flyers to provide us inputs and guidance in conducting and judging serious competition according to FAI norms.
Any volunteers -- Association says it will be an all expense paid trip -- we are not a poor third world nation anymore.
This event has also spawned a small commercial opportunity in providing indoor components.
So all in all its a big step forward for indoor free flight in India.
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »

Will post some pics and upload videos on YouTube soon.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »

That sounds really good.

I'm sure that if you put a call out on here, you'll likely get more than enough suggestions for a shortlist of potential 'top drawer' invitees from round the world - UK, Eurp, Namerica, Antips, etc.  Smiley
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Yes Jack. Will surely do that if the proposal crystallizes into a firm program.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »

Well done!
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »

Thanks Olbill. I am where I am in indoor rubber power solely due to the almost 6 month mentoring by you and several other indoor experts on this forum that resulted in raising my understanding and duration performance. Your Almost Tandem is now my favourite demo model when I give workshops and demos. It never fails to wow the audience with its elegant flight. And this model has taught me the relationship between rubber width, torque, climb, duration etc. In any new venue I now wind up a half motor in a couple of test flights to judge the level to which I can raise the torque to get a no touch flight and then use a longer rubber to increase duration to give a decent demo. I have made an simple torque meter with a guitar wire and put a dial with markings. Seems to be pretty reliable and gives replicable results.
I already have people asking me to make the torque meter for them.
The aim is to keep plugging away for indoor free flight till it gets sufficient momentum to climb on its own
Regards
Anant

Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 05:49:15 AM »

A video of one of my flights at the event.
It is the Almost Tandem which as I posted earlier has become my favourite model as I now can adjust its performance according to the venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-FXkZw-8g

Need to reduce the size of some other pics to post
Anant
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »

Nice one Anant!  Smiley
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »

Thanks for the appreciation Jack.

what i have been doing is giving as much info as I know on indoor free flight especially rubber power to anyone here interested so that it speeds up his learning curve. The aim is to have a good pool of indoor flyers so that the next competition becomes more meaningful and exciting. This I feel will lead to steady improvement in performance as experience is gained.

I will soon be co-ordinating the first indoor E-postal contest -- a concept I introduced to our association members. Plan to start with a simple one design contest.

Miles to go before I sleep.

Anant
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: