Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 12:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Miller "Little Gem" build for FAC Goodyear mass launch  (Read 7769 times)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »

I've finally got the Little Gem flying in a fairly repeatable manner - as has been suggested here, it really likes to fly right-right.  I put a small wedge for right turn on the rudder, and ended up with a fairly long wedge under the right wing to keep that side up in the turn. What really turned the corner was adding some 2" x 5/16" extensions on the aft end of each side of the stab - this seems to have pretty much cured the pitch stability issues.

I took the Gem to WESTFAC and entered it in FAC Peanut Scale.  I didn't get around to flying it until the last day of the contest, didn't really have a good feel for the motor I had in the model and didn't have a blast tube that would fit through the nose, so the best time I got was 40 seconds.  It sure looked nice doing lazy floating right circles downwind, and I think with some power optimization it will be a competitive model.

The stab picked up a bit of a warp due to the temperature and humidity changes going from Texas to Arizona and back again.  I flew the model yesterday as-is, but I think I'll make a new stab with increased span/area so I can get rid of the extensions and not have to worry about the warp coming back.

Video of yesterday's flights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUIGMi6-FkY&feature=youtu.be

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Miller "Little Gem" build for FAC Goodyear mass launch
Re: Miller "Little Gem" build for FAC Goodyear mass launch
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »

The climbing right turn suits the model .... nice flights  Smiley

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »

That rudder wedge is powerful Mike. It certainly looks like you are on the right path now.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: