Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 10:47:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flying Scale Models of WWII  (Read 6311 times)
malc
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »

Hi Ricky, how lucky you were to have known Doug, can you recall any other stories/anecdotes you are willing to share?
I am building build these models as the designers intended, hence all 56 bits of infill sheeting, took pretty much all day!

Malc.
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:50 AM »

Back to work on Monday so progress will be slower now :-(

Malc.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Flying Scale Models of WWII
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »

That looks superb - especially love the fillets and the infill.  Will the LG be removable?
ironmike
Gold Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »

Beautiful wood work malk
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »

I love bare bones shots like that, especially when the workmanship is as good as that...

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »

Second what Andrew & Mike said. Outstanding!

Skyraider
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »

Yes indeed! That is beautiful work - and so quick.  Can we have the Corsair for Thursday please and the Hurricane early next week some time!!
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:29 AM »

Thanks all for your nice comments, yes the U/C is plug in.

Mike, Yes, I'm wondering what to do next! F6F looks good.

Malc.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 04:55:44 AM »

The sheet work on the nose, wing fillet and rear of the cockpit is eye catching. That is really nice work.

John
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »

Thanks John, I love working with Balsa on the streamlining stuff, prefer it over paper and its just as light, plus you can sand it!

Question to you guys out there, what paint (I cant believe in 30 years I have never done camo spray paint on a model) should I use?

I tried white Tamiya acrylic on my Dash 8 and it came off with the masking tape leaving a neat stripe of unpainted tissue.

Thinned dope has only a very limited range of colours (no matt available?).

Floquil was Doug McHards paint of choice but I believe its no longer available in the UK since 2013ish?

Malc.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

I use Humbrol thinned 50% in an airbrush and find it is very good. Others use Tamiya acrylics. I guess we are spoiled for choice. Do make sure the tissue is sealed properly as the fine coat of enamel is not gap filling.
Ricky   
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »

Malc, see my response to your question in the Tempest thread.  I got best results with the Tamiya acrylics over doped tissue when thinned with lacquer thinner rather than denatured alcohol.

Cheers,

Mike
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »

Grin try coloured tissue then dope over that.  I do a layer of whiote then lay down my coloured tissue and glue it down. that way it won't tear or come off as it has something solid toasdhere to.

jim Grin
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:19 PM »

Guys, thanks for the input, I'm going to go for paint as thats how Doug McHard finished the original.  I will try for a semi matt finish as Doug had on his models I saw at Old Warden years ago, I really like the scale effect.

Here is Doug's 109 converted to a D model and CO2 from his own plan.  Flew well and fast!

Malc.
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »

The man himself
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

Final pics of finished P40 before covering and Zero with pilot and canopy framing.

Malc.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »

Very tidy work indeed Malc. I'd say exquisite.

Stephen.
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2017, 12:58:43 PM »

Some of the plastic modelers use "post-it note" sheets, for low tack spray masking, on delicate surfaces.

Your efforts are inspiring. Someday, I'm going to have to build that Wildcat. IMHO, it's the best scale representation of the collection. I'd probably go for "wheels up" to avoid all the LG struts.... er,.... I mean to aid flight times!
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »

Thanks both.
So while waiting for the P40 to dry, here is the Hellcat. For anyone else who wants to make one, the top half of F5 is about 2mm undersize on each side, this means the dash is also undersize, all the other formers are perfect.
Amazing how big it is compared to the P40
Snaky Stringer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »

I bought this book when it first appeared or soon afterwards and at the time had in mind to build all the planes. In fact, I think I only built the Zero, which flew fairly well although it was not well built and stole various bits for a Keil Kraft  Hurricane and built an own design P51A , borrowing some of the wing design from the P51B. I also built a Comet P40, which is a somewhat easier proposition than the McHard one. I, too met and corresponded with Doug McHard , who was a true gentleman and a superb modeller. The book is really a manual for the aspiring modeller. 
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »

I used to meet and talk with Clarence Mather (P-51B and P-39 plans in the book) every year at Western FF champs at Taft. He told me a couple of stories about both designs and dealing with Mr. McHard's request for the plans and flight reports etc. IIRC, he stated that both flew well but that he was not satisfied with their hurried design and scale attributes. Mather, I know was a master model builder and expert flyer. I oood and awed over several of his spectacular Peanuts he flew both indoors and outdoors. Very high scores in scale dept., too. He was also a hard charging competitor in several duration  FF rubber events. He may have flown some OT Gas, but I never saw it. What I liked best about Clarence was his down to earth manner and willingness to help me. Anyway, he said that Mchard put the preasure on him to get the projects finished to meet an earlier than anticipated publishing date and that he was never paid for the effort, as promised. I don't know if that was a Mchard or a  Bill Northrop issue, as I didn't get the vibe that it was a complaint. I did some business with the latter and never got paid, as promised, either( I know it sounds like bitching, but I always considered my dealings with Model Builder editor as good memories). I think Clarence didn't think it was about the money but fondly remembered the hurried effort, the great flying models, and a well received book that resulted.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2017, 07:42:09 PM »

I think the assessment about the lack of payment was right. I knew Doug well and he was a correct person and I never heard a bad word about him. I was shown the Spitfire and the Hurricane when they were being test flown with Brown CO2 motors. They were a revelation us mere mortals. We also dicussed the difference in UK and US approach to scale realism. He was firmly in the camp of realistic finishes even if duration suffered a little. I have 4 of his peanut models I purchased at auction and they are all very light an nicely built. Two are Brown CO2 powered. Regardless the intent of the book to raise the profile has been achieved and opened up rubber scale to many of us.
Ricky
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »

Interesting behind-the-scenes story Packard.
Quote from: Ricky
Regardless the intent of the book to raise the profile has been achieved and opened up rubber scale to many of us.
Until Garry started this thread I was only dimly aware - if at all - that this really excellent handbook existed. Thanks for the thread Garry.

Unable to fly for some long time, so unable to enthuse about existing, ongoing projects, I've been loitering round this thread for a while, looking shifty. In the end I decided to jump in and try the F6F. It looks a good-flying candidate and I'm interested in the Pacific War (WWII that is, not WWIII Shocked ).

This is a departure for me: it's my first ever former-and-stringer fuselage. I've made three models with stringered top decks in the past but never the full lobster pot. I decided to use laminated formers as I use these in my all-sheet models. They're light and quick to make. I didn't forget Malc's warning about F5 - he's right, y'know Smiley. The thing is, these laminated formers get huge support when bonded inside a monocoque, but here they're doing all the work without that support. I hope they're up to it. There are other deviations from the plan including elevators and rudder, a different tailplane outline, a couple of extra stringers etcetera. . .various things, it's just a free interpretation. It has a 7" prop from a defunct model.

Here is the skeleton. Only a few more bits of work, then comes my chance to bugger it up completely by trying to cover it in tissue papaer.

Stephen.
malc
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »

Hi Steve,

Thats nice.

You the bloke with the carnation, FT and bowler hat? Wink

Interesting to see your interpretation, esp moving the motor peg forward.  May have to copy that!

Malc.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »

Steve, Nice choice. If I build in this campaign its gonna be the Hellcat or the Ta-152. I think the Hellcat is a pretty tame design for stick and tissue. It looks like the usual thoughtful Prosper approach so far.

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: