Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2018, 08:56:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Patching pinholes in Eze Doped tissue.  (Read 497 times)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »

Well if I will insist on flying in a field that's just been cut for silage. Smiley

Had a quick google but haven't turned anything up about using Eze Dope for patching so here's the next one in an intermittent series of daft questions.

Same technique as with the old dope?  Dab of Eze around the pinhole, drop patch onto the damp dope and then a thin dab of dope on the patch?
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »

In case anyone else out there is interested....

It finally occurred to me to contact the manufacturers. Response below.

"Put a small thin bead of Speedbond glue along the edge of the tear on both sides. Add a small piece of Clingfilm big enough to cover the torn area : this will act to spread the glue across the join and hold the paper tissue 'in place' as it dries. it can be removed after drying overnight. Alternatively use a small piece of tissue glued with our Tissue paste."

On that basis I'll try with some thinned PVA and a tissue patch.

Nothing about shrinking and re-doping after applying the patch.  For the holes I've got to deal with at the moment I might get away without either although I've still got at few ml of ready mixed 30% sol'n hanging around.  Hmmm.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »

Thinned PVA (50/50 by volume) and tissue patch works for holes that are up to about 1/8" dia, but you do get some sag in the tissue until it dries so be careful with thin/flat stabs and fins.  The patched areas seemed taut after everything had dried but as I had some 30% sol'n lying around I gave them a dab for "luck".

How well this'll work, or if it'll work at all, for larger holes or tears is anyone's guess.
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

In the days when I used to fly outdoor free flight I used to carry some thinned dope in a nail polish bottle (with the brush in the cap) and an envelope with a variety of star shapes cut from off cuts of coloured tissue. Whenever I got a small hole I just doped a star patch over it. By the end of summer you end up with a star sprinkled surface. Very easy and decorative!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: