Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2017, 01:21:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AL William's Gulfhawk, The Peerless Model Airplane Company Build  (Read 1339 times)
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »

Ive had this plan printed for a few weeks now and have cut most of the formers already. Very windy conditions in Hertforshire, England means no flying so I have to occupy my time otherwise now and might as well start this. This will be my first biplane Ive built...

Wingspan will be 11" and 9/16

I will do my best.......to be patient
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
AL William's Gulfhawk, The Peerless Model Airplane Company Build
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:35:41 PM »

3 hours into the build and all good so far. Using my Edward Preston to keep things square has come in usefull. Seen some other builds where magnets, dead square metal blocks are being used to keeps things in place and have to say that I'm coming round to the idea.

All 1/16 strip medium strip with the former from 1/16 sheet light

Re: AL William's Gulfhawk, The Peerless Model Airplane Company Build
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »

I've looked at that plan many times!  I'll be watching with interest. Smiley

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:15:06 AM »

Years ago Crabby made printed tissue for that kit. He may still have the file.

Accurate Miniatures made a plastic kit in 1/48 scale.

Monogram made a plastic kit in 1/32 scale but I believe it was their F3F kit with a different cowl. I think the Gulfhawk was an F3F fuselage with F2F wings and a larger engine.

I have scans of the decals from both plastic kits.

From what I have read that must have been a superb aerobatic airplane.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »

So heres an update so far -
wings and stabs build and sanded
Still pondering the cowl section and decided to build the lower wing as one section to give some strenth and make it easier for myself 
 she's definitely taking shape now
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »

I guess most are aware Gulfhawk is in DC at the Smithsonian.
I saw it some years ago, and very pretty in orange.
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:16:59 AM »

and very pretty in orange.

Im definitely covering in orange, unfortunately not as vibrant as the one in DC
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:39:11 PM »

Hi Dieter,

If you use orange Esaki to cover, a little orange or maybe red chalk on the under side may brighten the orange color.  It will add some weight however.
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »

If you use orange Esaki to cover, a little orange or maybe red chalk on the under side may brighten the orange color.  It will add some weight however.

I will be using Esaki Don. And just found a "how to" on internet.

Definitely gonna try this. Thanks
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »

Ok, so Im not realy a stickler for detail but thought I should make some efford to tart my Gulfhawk up a bit.

Im going to attemt make the front, more prominent engine cover/cowl and incorperate a sturdy prop mount. I have had some 2mm ply and brass tube delivered and looked at a few designs. Its going to add a bit of weight, about 2grams but then ive always had to add clay to most other models (tail ends to heavy??) the ply will be used for the mount only with cowl made from 0.8mm and 3/16 sheet.

As per gossie's post about the real thing at the Smithsonian- I looked at some online images and saw it kitted with a tri-blade prop which I will attempt to make.

dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »

Pinned the cowl in place to see what it would look like. I think this will work. But realised that I should covered the nose first before starting this. Will have to add little section now behind the cowl to take the covering.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 60

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

HA HA I seem to perform that little feat every time I do a radial. I have had long talks to the mirror over this repetition!

The Threadkiller!
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »

Decided tonight that I will remove the narrow section radial that was to support the cowl and build the cowl seperatly and hope it fits. The 0.8mm sheet if quite flexible so should be able to manipulate it somewhat when pushing the cowl on. This bit is taking up a lot of time. But will hopefully be worth it.

Every part is now nicely sanded down and I daren't sand the fuselage any more for fear of disintigration Undecided

I will have to study some covering methods for the wings. They are a little flimsy and I have had a couple of bad experiences with warping wings when covering. I almost alway wet cover as it gives a realy nice smooth finish, but suppose this also tightens the tissue so much that its likely to misshape parts.   
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »

Hi all
So, the cowl photo in the previous post turned out to be a practice one. It came out the wrong shape yet nicely round and not a bad effort. On the Peerless plan show the cowl tapered at the top and bottom and square on the sides. I thought that I could manipulate it a bit but found the 0.8 sheet surprisingly sturdy when glued into that cylidrical shape. And had another idea in my head by this time already. I also wanted to correct the shape of the front after studying some Gulfhawk photos.

So my other other idea was to make some kind of mould to wrap the thin sheet on and get a better shape. I found some celotex (Kingspan) polistyrene type insulation, which has a very fine make up, yet solid to handle. It sands very easily (and messy) so brought it home this evening and got to work. Glued a cube onto a smaller square piece of ply with dowel in it, mounted it onto my cordless drill and got sanding. This worked really well and had it sanded to a tapered shape in no time.

I cut it of the ply mount with a hacksaw blade and flattened off the sides to the shape i wanted. I the planted the first flat/round front cowl section onto the mould and proceeded to glue the thin sheet on keeping it tight to mould.

Removing the mould from inside was a delicate process not to break the thin sheet and had to do some repairs never the less. Added the second (front of cowl) section and did some sanding.

Im am very pleased with the outcome and think this celotex stuff has lots of potential for future use (even thought of making a whole fusage with no formers could possibly be done)

I will have to do some adjusting to cowl when finally gluing it to the fuselage, but doing things this way around will be way easier.
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »

Update: 
Ive started covering as all parts are built now. And now comes the head scratcher of how the mount the top wing to the fuse first and then the lower wing. Or visa versa?  As mentioned earlier, I built the lower wing in one piece and it slides in nicely though the fuse after some small alerations. Im thinking of building some elaborate jig that will hold the fuse and upper wing solidly into possition and take my time fitting those brackety things. Sanding and fitting until they fit. Gluing the them to the top wing first and and leaving the bits connected to the fuse loose until ive covered it.

abl
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

I normally attach biplane wings as described on here:

http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page4b.htm

(very useful site...)

Andy

(nice build, BTW)
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

I used cheap Styrofoam board to make wing jigs for my last biplane - see pics here:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=21454.msg204715#msg204715.

Mike
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 05:13:27 AM »

Thanks Mike and Andy.

I will have to put my patient hat on and build a jig.

Mike your SRE looks awesome!

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:28 PM »

Thanks - it was a fun build and is a satisfying flyer.  Look forward to seeing your Gulfhawk in the air!

Cheers,

Mike
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 04:34:31 AM »

Hi all
The Gulfhawk is coming along nicely now. All but one bit is now tissued. I started covering the cowl after reading up a bit about how to cover these curved pieces of balsa.
I covered the cylinder section but cutting the tissue in a curved shape to finish nearly to the front in a straight line all the way around, wraped it around and held it place with piece of masking tape where the two ends meet at the bottom.
I used ezedope and worked some in under the tissue at least he front edge and proceeded to brush the surface with more dope working out all but the smallest creases which i couldnt get rid of. It looked i bit wrinkley but smoothed out nicely when dry and folded over the back working more dope in under the tissue there.
I think it look ok.
I did a trail on the first cowl i made and after it was dry sprayed it with acrylik gloss. I got a realy nice gloss finish. Much better than spraying directly onto shrunk esaki. I Wet cover all my sections.
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 12:57:42 AM »

These are scans of the painting and decaling instructions from the 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures kit. Hope they are of some help.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1317/13760548/24782024/413515632.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1317/13760548/24782024/413515631.jpg

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
dieterperiperi
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »

Thanks John. Much appriciated
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 60

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »

What is your plan of action concerning the application of white upon the orange? May I suggest a thin pressure sensitive?
That top wing is gonna be really busy! I recall designing the skins for this very model in printed tissue, in fact I still have the file. I did it for John Webster, I don't recall if he ever did anything with it, but it has to be the easiest, lightest way to go. Well that's water under the bridge by now but, we gotta do that wing (after you know it flies) some smart way!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: