Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 26, 2017, 08:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spartan Arrow by John Watters  (Read 480 times)
Bryanair
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Bryan Lea

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »

I am looking for the plan of the Spartan Arrow by John Watters.  This R/C design was published in the Autumn 1988 issue of Radio Control Scale Aircraft Quarterly and available from the ASP Plans Service as plan number RSQ 1578.  ASP eventually came under the My Hobby Store brand but I am unable to find this plan listed on their current website.  I have also looked on Outerzone. If I can get a copy of the plan the intention is to get it reduced to roughly 45 inches span for a free flight scale model.  I already have the 3 view scale drawing of the Spartan Arrow that was published in the Aeromodeller of April 1980 by the way.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Spartan Arrow by John Watters
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 03:19:33 PM »

Bryan
Have you tried this?
http://www.model-plans.co.uk/rc%20power%20scale.htm
It's a great subject. John Coker did a very nice one in the early 80s but he was stuck with the old (Eddie Riding?) 3 view and there were some basic shape errors I recall.
Bill
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:10:39 PM by billdennis747 » Logged
Bryanair
Silver Member

Topic starter
Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »

Thanks Bill.  That is the one.  It says on the site that the object is to swap plans so I'll see if I have any that are not listed and make contact.  I have found G-ABWPs owner's details on the GINFO website and I believe the aircraft is kept at Redhill aerodrome in Surrey.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »

I think I've bought a plan off him before.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

W'eve got one down here for sale if you're interested.  A seriously neglected subject for rubber - no need to increase fin area!  http://www.globalplanesearch.com/gallery/aircraft-for-sale/Simmonds-Spartan-Aircraft-Spartan/127 
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:28:14 AM »

Morning Bryan

I'm pretty sure that I've got the magazine which it came from somewhere in the thing I laughingly call my 'system'. I'll take a quick look later today if I get the chance and if I've got it you are more than welcome to the plan gratis

Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
Bryanair
Silver Member

Topic starter
Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 04:56:53 AM »

Good morning Paul

I do have the Autumn 1988 issue of Radio Control Scale Aircraft Quarterly.  The model builds into a 66 inch R/C model so the plan is partly shown at reduced size and the wing is obscured hence my search for the full size plan.  As Bill says it is on the www.model-plans.co.uk  website and I'll be in touch.

Bryan
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »

Good morning Paul

I do have the Autumn 1988 issue of Radio Control Scale Aircraft Quarterly.  The model builds into a 66 inch R/C model so the plan is partly shown at reduced size and the wing is obscured hence my search for the full size plan.  As Bill says it is on the www.model-plans.co.uk  website and I'll be in touch.

Bryan

Ahh - Now I understand. (It also explains why I can't remember the plan itself . . . .)

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
IPal
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »

Hi Bryan,

Funnily enough I've been looking for the same plan for the past couple of weeks. I've had a soft spot for the Arrow ever since I came across it as a Close Up feature in Spring 87 SAQ.  I contacted the owner, Ray Blain, and went up to Barton to run off a reel of film (35mm!). I then built a Peanut directly from the Plans Service 3-view which won the Indoor Nats in 92 with flights of around 52 Sec ROG if I recall.  Attached photo was taken years later after conversion to CO2 with a Brown Campus.   I subsequently had the 3 view blown up as a vector graphic to 24" for a proper CO2 model as at 13" it was too fast and the turn tended to open up as the power came off. That model was started but I never got beyond the tail structure due to pressure of work and other projects. I'm now contemplating a 1/4 scale one for F4C and the Watters plan has some useful info on structure and the wing fold mechanism.  However, as you've found, the reduced plan in the Autumn 88 FSQ is partially obscured. I'd be interested to know how you get on with obtaining it from the site Bill suggested.   There is a chap in the States advertising 1/6 scale plans (61") on eBay and I wondered if this might be a copy or rip-off of John's original plan but I haven't pursued it.
Good luck with yours.
Ian P         
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Spartan Arrow by John Watters
Bryanair
Silver Member

Topic starter
Bryan Lea

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 05:50:38 AM »

Hi Ian

Thanks for a very interesting reply and belated congratulations on your success.  I had a break from aeromodelling during those years and only really came back in about the late 90s so I wasn't aware of your model.
I have contacted Model Plans and on Friday I sent a package of plans to swap for the Spartan Arrow plan. My intention is to build it for F/F power scale so I am thinking of 1/8th scale which will give a span of 45.9 inches.
I am thinking of contacting Ray Blain to do a walk round photo shoot. I believe the aircraft is now based at Redhill, Surrey (Wikipedia) so it wont be too far from my home in Milton Keynes.
The US plan looks like a copy/rip off of the Watters plan - the span is the same.   
I will update here when I receive the plan.

Bryan 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: