Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 21, 2017, 04:51:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adjustable diameter propeller  (Read 421 times)
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:30:52 PM »

I'm making a new propeller that I plan to use at Lakehurst in September.  My original plan was to make it a little smaller than my other props (17.875" instead of 18.25").  Instead I decided to make the diameter adjustable.  I accomplished this by gluing fiberglass tubes to the blades at the 2 normal attachment points.  My carbon spars are the same diameter over their entire length, so I can slide the blades in or out to whatever diameter I want.  This also allows me to adjust the pitch of each blade individually.  Theoretically I can adjust this prop anywhere between 16.75" and 18.5", but realistically I doubt I'll go below 17.5".
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Adjustable diameter propeller
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

I didn't take pictures of the finished prop, but this worked out well at the Kibbie Dome.  I ended up setting the prop at 17.75", and a low pitch of 26".  My hope is this setup will work well for Lakehurst, but I plan to extend this prop out to 18.5" before the world champs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: