Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2018, 01:18:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E-36 Pulsar  (Read 4606 times)
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 06:33:37 AM »

Looks like David and Goliath.  Smiley 

Very good result.

Heinz
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: E-36 Pulsar

F1B is o.k.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 143

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

Hmm- he had you on span and area Urs - but it looked like fun anyway.

John
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »

Urs

I remember it well, with Alessandro appearing in the last picture!! Did any Brits go this year as Gavin said he might attend ?

Peter
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »

No Brit's around this year, Peter, only a good number of French guys with F1B, Coup's and F1S.

Yesterday a shock wave hit me  Sad
Measuring out my baby I discovered that the number one Pulsar weigh's as much as 172g! Makes a wing loading of 13,5g/dm2. Now I knew I had used all the heaviest components build to assemble the ship and even mounted the heaviest battery (2 x Nano-Tech 350mAh), but still the result was a shocker. On the other side I now have a good reason to keep going on with the project  Grin  Otherwise I would not have anything to do during upcoming winter  Wink

Now going down in the workshop to finish the master of the front fuselage....

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
airplay
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »

I dont think 2 separate cells is kosher. But please inform me. I like your model and have similar ideas. Have just received some carbon  from R&G, aus Germany. Jens.
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »

I have found this spec for the batteries:
For F1S (E36)
3.S.2 Characteristic
Nickel Cadmium (NiCad), Nickel Metal Hydrate (NiMH) and Lithium (Li) batteries can be used. Only 2 cell Lithium batteries or up to 6 cell Nickel cells can be used. Other battery related specifications in 3.Q.2 apply.

and
3.Q.2. Characteristics
Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Lithium (Li) batteries can be used.
Lithium type battery packs must be in “as manufactured” condition with the covering around the cell surface. If more than one cell is used a balancer connector must be fitted.

Now my batteries are "as manufactured" with covering around the cell surface. I just changed the connectors as everybody does and fitted a balancer lead to it. The 2 cells are kept together with transparent tape, but I could also substitute it with a heat shrink tube.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »

Only sceptical course asking fellow F1S flyer about coupling 2x300mAh's in parallel...  

Jens

USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »

...in parallel  Huh

and why mounting 2 cells in parallel? The rules dont allow it! You could use 1 cell with 600mAh capacity. But you would have the drawback to double the absorption going somewhere to 35-40A needing a big 40Am ESC. And bigger, heavier cables to connect batterie to ESC and ESC to motor. At the last it will be difficult to find a motor which can absorb 40A at 3,5V.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking 2 300mAh 2s in parallel as I do in my rc soarer. I have many of these batteries and their accumulated capacities would come handy for the newer drone motor possibilities for F1S.                                                                                                                                                        Jens   
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »

Whilst looking the tennis semifinal at Basel between Federer and Goffin I had time to take some numbers on PULSAR-1 to keep you informed.

Wing 890x140mm projected (on the paper I had 910mm span  Huh ) = 12,46dm2
Tailplane 400x100mm = 4dm2
Weight in flying order 172,3g
FAI wing loading 10,5g/dm2, real loading 13,8g/dm2
Distance Wing TE-->Tailplane LE = 510mm
CG 120mm from LE = 80%

Wing incidence, measured from center of LE radius to TE = +3,35°
Tailplane incidence, measured from center of LE to TE = +2,3°
Total difference = 1,05°

Motor down 7,4°
Motor right/left 0°

Now next time I have to take some height measurements to have the kettle full.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 07:26:40 AM »

More progress is made as autumn and winter is approaching.

I finally finished successfully the mould for the forward fuselage part. Successfully because the weight of the first moulding was only 11,5g against the first prototype in balsa which weighted near 20g. And there is still place to better that result (I hope).

The composite is different in the motor tube and the pylon. The tube is a 90g/m2 carbon cloth outside and a UD carbon tape of 80g/m2 inside. The pylon instead is a carbon mesh of 49g/m2, rohacell 1mm and carbon mesh inside.

Lots of space to host the electronics inside the pylon, but I have still to find the best placement. The battery will be mounted from the underside of the motor tube with only the connectors outside. Hope to finish the model before the end of 2017 to start something else, a F1Q maybe?

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 72

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »

Urs can you show us the molding process that you used to make this fuselage?
thanks.
Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »

During the week I build another front end trying to avoid the errors of the first one. Lay-up is essentially the same as number one but I switched the layers on the tube portion. This time I put the high module fibre outside and the low module cloth inside. In the first pic the 6 pieces for the first part of work.

During the first step in the pylon I laminate only the outside layer of Carbonweave 39 and nothing else. Second pic is one half mould already inside the vacuum bag. Between the woven-non woven cloth I put a micro-perforated plastic sheet to separate things after polymerisation. Last pic is the bag with the vacuum applied. You can notice the resin penetrating into the woven-non woven cloth to extract the superfluous resin.

After dinner the second part of the story  Cheesy

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »

Urs, thanks for the pictures. It's nice to see your process.

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Buster11
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

Urs,

Do  you find the carbon structure causes any problems with things like RDT (if any), or a tracker, even though the antennae are presumably mainly outside it?

Buster (We probably met at Säve in 1971 or other World FF Champs around then; I well remember your immaculate F1Cs)
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »

No, no.... the dinner didn't last 2 hours  Grin
but Mr. Microsoft decided it was time to do an update and blocked the pc till now.

Now the first part is done, I take the mould out of the bag and free the moulding from the woven-non woven cloth and the perforated plastic sheet. One thing to be very carefully is avoiding to loosen the grip between the mould and the composite, never pull at 90° to the mould but fold back 180° the material to take away and go slowly! The composite should never come detached from the mould.

Before doing the second part of the moulding I also clean the flash on the parting line including fibres reaching over the edge of the mould. It is done with the help of a cutter blade moving it against the mould and never away.

The second part of the moulding is the sandwich in the pylon, the rohacell pieces are prepared with chamfered edges. The inside is the same carbonweave used on the outside. This piece of fibre has to be impregnated on a plastic sheet, never  do it on the rohacell itself. Now you can put back the moulds in a new vacuum bag and place everything in a warm place (remember its winter time).

From now on its downhill, some test to place all electronic bits and pieces, a hold down for the timer. Maybe you wonder what the small window on the right hand side is for. I use the Sidus timer and communication between timer and programmer is by infrared rays. At the last the 2 shells (still in the mould!) are glued together and joined by a small glass tape over the seam.

Some pic's for a better understanding, 1 and 2 are to show  the rohacell inlay, the third is how to fill the inside of the pylon and the last the finished front end.
Weight of this second moulding is 9,4g, lighter than hoped for  Shocked Roll Eyes ::

Buster, what did you fly at that time, or what's your name?
Now I am not sure that with all this carbon everything will work ok. I am convinced that RDT will work well, GPS will be tryied as soon as I get one  Angry . The RDT antenna is sticking out a fair bit from the trailing edge of the pylon as shown in the picture of the balsa prototype.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »

USch, I just wonder how many grammes your complete carbon fuselage would end up in?

Asking, as I has same approach in my shop. I have made male plugs so far to mate with an conical tube. Why? More flexibility for electronics and stuff...
But I fear it might end up a bit heavy compared to my present balsa ones, with some carbon stringers. They end up about 20g with finn and all...

Jens

USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 04:53:51 AM »

Actually the composite front end is the lightest I have build so far. The first carbon tube-balsa pylon was certainly much heavier. I did a lot of data collecting but mostly for the wing. I can only estimate the real fuselage weight of the prototype by subtract the known weights from the total and the result is about 30g for the nude fuselage with a heavy tail boom.

Now I have 9,4g front end and 9,3g for the tail boom, fin and tailplane mount + the unknown 2-3g, so total weight should be around the 22g mark. This let's me think/dream of the 120g E36  Wink

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »

I added a clip to the inside of the pylon to hold the timer in place. To form it I used a piece of copper plate I had laying around and bent to the right shape.
Right shape means I had to mould a few pieces to get the shape right  Sad
In the second pic you can hardly see the strip of cloth I put at about 20% of the pylon to strengthen the point where the wing platform will be glued.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »

Nothing new to report from the south   Cheesy

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU AROUND THE WORLD

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well Urs and thanks for all your interesting info and advice.

John
USch
Gold Member

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 05:21:16 AM »

3 month later......after a very humid and wet winter  Cry Cry Cry
No flying during a long period, but yesterday finally we had a go to the airfield with nice sunshine and no wind till 11 AM.

I did test fly the second baby of the family and now I can confirm that 180m+ are possible, see the graph attached. But as per now not regular, every flight is different. Looks as if stability is marginal and so if the model finishes the motor run with a nose up attitude it will loose half the height in the following stall. Will try next time to induce more turn during the climb. But with trim tab or with thrust line adjustment  Huh

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »

That's good height Urs! About the turn on the climb I guess I would prefer a bit of right tab and balance that with right inboard wash in? I guess it depends on the glide turn as well - assuming it is right/right trim. Perhaps a slight reduction in fin area?
However I must be clear that I'm not an expert in trimming but an avid student with a bit of success with CLG's.

happy trimming

John
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »

Urs,

Glad to see that it flies! From the photos of the pylon & motor tube (post #35) I was afraid that you had given up free flight and gone over to model submarines.

Louis

PS; Maybe I missed it, but do you have a list of component weights? 
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »

Urs,

Do you launch with your left hand?

Southpaw Fred Rash
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: