Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 20, 2018, 03:17:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CallAir A-9 for rubber power  (Read 13065 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »

Looking good, Pete!

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »

Thanks, Dan.
I've had a rethink at the front end. Instead of having the whole piece as a noseblock, I'll fix it on permanently but I've now cut a square hole in it and will detatch just the resulting deep cuboid plug, with a ply disc on the front as shown. This will make it much easier to make a replica block for the scale prop. I just hope the hole is big enough for whatever angry wound rubber this beast eventually requires. Probably about six strands of 1/8.

Meanwhile, covering has commenced...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CallAir A-9 for rubber power
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2018, 05:39:08 AM »

Covered, and initial 10% coat of Ezedope applied, although I used ordinary non-shrinking dope over the (tissue covered) sheeted fus. areas as I'm wary of the sanded-thin balsa warping with any shrinkage.
Weight is now about 60g, so the covering added ten grams. Still more dope and colour to come of course, plus the wing struts, pilot and many smaller details. I'm hoping I can keep it all down to 80-something grams for a finished weight, which is not great but should still be good enough to fly.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 06:16:01 AM »

Looks great Pete!

Whats the wing area ( you know: the real wing area, not the tail or the bit that crosses the fuselage as well) ?

Graham
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 07:17:40 AM »

Cheers, Graham. Wing area is 777 square cms (or about 120 inches if you prefer). What do you reckon that means for my loading prospects?
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »

Pete,

I assume your present weight doesn’t include the prop? That being the case i would estimate your prop (9.5” peck?) and rubber will take you close to if not the high side of 80g all up. Then you have paint, detail and the inevitable noseweight.

However, this is not all negative, as with a larger model like this the efficiency is better and they tend to be more tolerant of higher wing loadings. That said, anything upward of 12g/dm2 for indoor can be a challenge, and even lightly loaded big models flying slowly are more vulnerable to wall impacts due to the inertia of their larger mass.

Thing is that when you’ve reached the build stage you are at with the A-9, there’s little more you can do to influence the final AUW: 93g = 12g/dm2 with the wing area you quoted: i think it’s got a good chance of going very nicely if you can contain the weight to around that figure.

But you’ve plenty of experience and you know all this, so egg sucking lesson over! Cheesy

Graham
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »

Thanks, Graham- that's encouraging. There's no question of an suck-sucking lesson scenario with me- even when I do briefly know things I soon forget them! I shall keep 93g in mind as a max target. Also, I sometimes find that comparing a new model to a previous model gives me more cause for optimism than the cruel crunched numbers might suggest (just so long as the previous model in question actually flew!). In this case, the Callair has fairly similar proportions to my Storch, which flies okay. I've just had a look, and the Storch is loaded at a bit over 12g/dm2.  I will not be able to get a ROGworthy 9.5 inch prop on this one, due to the A-9's shortish undercarriage. 8 inches will be close to the limit, but the Storch only has an 8" prop too, so I might still be okay.

Anyway, as you say, there are not many weight saving measures to be taken at this stage so whatever will be will be. Hopefully, whatever happens it'll be less of a headache than last year's Caudron as this time I can at least get a proper lengthed motor in the thing!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:19:21 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2018, 07:22:33 AM »

Glacial progress. I seem to spend ages on these little jobs. However, I now have a prop with a spinner. This flying spinner sits a little too far forward to ensure clearance, and is also just a little longer than the scale spinner will be, so as to incorporate the Peck prop more easily. I wonder how much this matters? I know I've seen people leave both the flying and static noseblocks out for the for the judges, so they can see that there's no skullduggery.

I've tinted the green windows. After experimenting with various paints and pens, I opted for a green Sharpie, with the colour then smudged into a slightly more even covering with thinners.

Have also made some main wing struts, with carbon and wire hooks which will attach through fish hook eyes in the wing and fus. which I've glued in place.

All this brings it all up to 70g. I don't think I'll need nose weight, but will require a heavy tail wheel as at the moment it balances just forward of the LE. A result, I suppose, of all that sheeting up front, and none at the rear.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »

And another half gram for the pilot, who still needs a bit if work. Not quite sure why he's doing a Tommy Cooper impression...
Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »

He reminds me of Max Bygraves, who IIRC was a Hurricane pilot. The CallAir should be in safe hands whoever it is  Smiley
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »

He reminds me of Max Bygraves, who IIRC was a Hurricane pilot. The CallAir should be in safe hands whoever it is  Smiley
And as Max Bygraves said; 'You need hands'
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »

I can't quite see the Max Bygraves likeness. I think he may actually be Eubie Blake...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »

Nope, wrong again. Now that I've started painting him I think he's more of a Lance Armstrong...
Mefot
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

I can't quite see the Max Bygraves likeness. I think he may actually be Eubie Blake...

He's more like Doctor Phibes !!!  Grin
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

I would have said more of a Douglas Bader
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »

He reminds me of Morph (on the Tony Hart art show).

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »

He reminds me of Morph (on the Tony Hart art show).
Funnily enough, exactly what my wife said!
Indoorflyer
Silver Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »

The CallAir and pilot are coming together very nicely Pete. With the hot sun beating down, the pilot needs to have a cap on, and a headset for noise protection!!

https://www.zazzle.com/lesc_adjustable_ball_cap-148671348700142960

That CallAir is gonna have character!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2018, 03:50:09 AM »

I just realised - it's the bloke in the bed at the end of 2001 A Space Oddissey (and I've no idea how to spell that)
edit - Odyssey!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:14:54 AM by billdennis747 » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »

Well whoever he is, he's now installed. Indoorflyer, I really liked the idea of the baseball cap (and thanks for the link to the correct headgear for his soaring club!) but in the end I decided he'd stay bare headed. Rest assured he's applied plenty of suncream to his pate though, and I have given him a headset. He's looking left because that's the way I expect him to circle.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »

Spraying was today's job. Not one I relish, so very glad to get it out of the way, even if it does show up rather a lot of little blemishes. Annoyingly, my only-used-twice Badger 150 wasn't performing for some reason, but luckily my old cheapo little airbrush was behaving unusually well.

(I was spraying white and yellow in my workroom, with the door open, right next to our landing which has a brand new, very expensive red carpet. Living on the edge here, folks!)
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »

Pete, a gentle buff with fine wet n dry paper improves the finish on tissue amazingly  - especially if you're spraying humbrol which I find can be quite 'dusty'.  I use 1500 grit to avoid going through the tissue on the framed parts.  Another light coat usually brings it up nicely
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 141

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:19 AM »

The red carpet will hide the blood stains Peter Smiley Still on schedule?

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2018, 03:22:28 AM »

Ah yes, the schedule... My original game plan had me finished by March 18th, which won't happen now. However, I'm still fairly confident of being finished enough to enter it in the indoor nats in a month, even if there are details missing. What I'm really lacking are trimming opportunities. There are one or two indoor meets, at Rochdale and Shawbury for instance, before the nats but I'm not sure I can make any of them. It may be a question of hoping the weather gods let me give it at least a field chuck to see how well it plummets.
The paint added 7g by the way, so I'm now at 77g. Nothing very heavy left to go on except for the cg-adjusting ballast.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »

The masked off roof windows didn't turn out too badly, and the pilot is now all glazed in. I stuck the acetate on with uv light actvated "Lazerbond" glue, which I like for jobs like this. I then then used Derek Knight's method for the framing, which utlises painted paper cut after being stuck to double sided tape. Effectively this gives you sticky backed strips in the right colour and dispenses with all the worry of using any more glue near the nice clear acetate.
Have also added a couple of air intakes to the fuselage. It will be hard to know where to stop with these kinds of lump and bump details. I do think they all help to detract from minor bodges and blemishes in the overall finish though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: