Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 15, 2017, 09:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sinbad Jr. 30 inch glider micro RC project  (Read 1278 times)
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about weight.  I couldn't see why this wouldn't be an enjoyable model at 100 grams.  Maybe not a pure thermal glider, but still light at 30" span.  I still wonder how some builders manage to finish at the light weights that they publish.  I just finished a 26" Lear jet 23 at 6.5oz (182 grams), which is the lightest I've ever built, given all the overall considerations.  Almost like landing a glider, at a hair over 6.5oz/sq-ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQk1QhpGCsA
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

Brad,

I've got 24" span R/C sport models weighing in excess of 80 grams and they can still hook thermals. OK, they're not sailplanes but they are "floaters". I've also got a scale model of 18" span weighing 90 grams and that flies OK - definitely not a floater though. I reckon that your model will be great fun to fly.

Dave
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not doing that bad on weight.  I really don't have a good frame of reference, especially for electric powered/RC planes.

Progress has been slow lately - we had guests visiting for the last 5 days - but I did sneak a bit of progress.

First, I figured out my detachable wing mount set up.  Dual clips mounted to the bottom of the wing slide through the top wing mount and will then have two small screws at the back of the wing to lock it in place.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sinbad Jr. 30 inch glider micro RC project
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »

I also worked out my front canopy hold down.  A simple pin configuration. 

I installed my hinges on the tail surfaces and have a rough control horn in place.  I still need to trim them down a bit, but they are close.  I used 1/64th ply for the control horns.
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »

Looking good - I like the wing hold-down.

Mike
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »

I have the access hatch underway.  It's still not all worked out, but getting close.

My son, Max, is helping we with this build and he is selecting the colors/design to finish.  He's 28 and an artist, so it's hopefully going to look great.  He stained the fuselage front and wing center/power pod.  We need to touch up  the brown where glue was, but it will look good.  We are also using checkered tissue for the first time.  Fun stuff.

I have my servos mounted in a wood/ply tray which is held in place by the removable fuselage front.  That worked out well and  no need for additional screws, etc.

I can't put off dealing with my radio gear much longer - time to open it up, read up and break out the soldering iron  Smiley
daveh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »

Brad,
I guess you know already but just in case, a word of warning about using chequered tissue - you have to apply it with the painted side on the inside or it won't shrink evenly. Guess how I found this out?

Dave
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:30 PM »

Dave:

Thank you for the information about the checkered tissue.  I did NOT know that  Sad   Now both sides are covered.  I'm going to go ahead and try shrinking it and see how it looks.  I'm hoping that since the rudder and elevator are relatively small I will get away with it.  We are planning on doing section between ribs on one side of the wing and I'll flip it over for that application.

I'll let you know how it turns out  Smiley

Brad
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:44 PM »

Do the bottom side of the wings in a darker color red, dark blue or even black.  Helps with visibility/orientation at altitude.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »

I opened the Radio and Charger units.  Wow. 

I'm thinking this can't be as difficult as the instructions seem.  I'm doing a simple, standard setup, so I should just be able to do the transmitter/receiver pairing and I'm good to go with presets.  I'm not in the mood to buy a cable to access their app and doing a custom set up.

The charger is worse.  I think it will do a great job, but this seems way over complicated and difficult to set up for what I'm after.  I got my larger 300 mah battery charged so I can at least get things working.  My smaller 150mah battery only has one set of wires (power), so all the fancy normalize/capacity functions of the charger won't work.  I'm pretty sure I have to solder up a couple of adaptors as well as solder on the end connectors to the motor and ESC.

Pit:  Thanks for the ideas about colors for the wings.  I shared them with my son and you were over ruled based on artist intent  Smiley.  My son is covering the wing and doing a great job.  First time doing this.  I also think the checkered tissue is OK shiny side out on the small pieces.  He applied it shiny side in on the wings which will work better.  I had to go over the shiny yellow squares on the small parts with a wet Q-Tip to work water through them to get any shrinkage.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »

Well, the user interface is usually one of the first victims when things are designed for the rush to the bottom on price.

The Spektrum DXe is so bad that I actually had to call Horizon Hobbies to ask for help. And this is from a guy that has been in the hobby programing radios since the late 80's. I will say the tech at Horizon Hobbies was very well versed in the radio's architecture and had me on my way in less than 2 minutes.

I don't know about the software in your charger, but most will allow for non-balanced charging. (This is needed for single cell charging). But for safety reasons it is not the default setting.

P.S.
I see you are using a 2 cell set up. This charge cable maybe what you need.
http://www.progressiverc.com/jst-ph-charge-balance-cable-for-beast-umx.html

With multi cell batteries you do want the balance charge.

The 3rd wire in your E-flite 150 battery is live. With the charge cable (above) you can charge and balance from the same plug and at the same time.

Please give what Pit said a deep second look, form follows function!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:41:51 AM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »

I got the radio and motor all hooked up and working Smiley  My biggest hurdle was when I had everything finally all soldered together and the servos worked but not the motor.  I checked and rechecked - stumped.  The next morning I was looking again and right before my eyes I discovered the "Arm/Disarm" switch!!!  That was the issue.  Flipped it and the motor worked great. 
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about weight.  I couldn't see why this wouldn't be an enjoyable model at 100 grams.  Maybe not a pure thermal glider, but still light at 30" span.  I still wonder how some builders manage to finish at the light weights that they publish.  I just finished a 26" Lear jet 23 at 6.5oz (182 grams), which is the lightest I've ever built, given all the overall considerations.  Almost like landing a glider, at a hair over 6.5oz/sq-ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQk1QhpGCsA
Build a few EZB's and you will have a different view on weight. The really good guys can build an 18" rubber indoor model with 3" of chord and a 50 percent tail, at 0.4 grams without the rubber. 0.4 is not a typo. I managed to get one down to 0.6g once. You have to weigh everything. Then again, this model wouldn't need to be all THAT light. EXB's are relatively heavy, because they don't use bracing. If I recall, at one point the highest time rubber indoor model was over 60 minutes, weighed about 1.2 grams, and had a 42 inch span. Don't sneeze!

More seriously, I think this project here has larger than necessary equipment in it. It could probably get by even with actuators or with REALLY small servos, and a very small motor. At least if the motor was geared or something so it could drive a reasonably sized prop. I had an 11 ounce glider, about 60 inch span, that had a relatively strong climb with only 40 or 45 watts into the motor. For just putting around, it might have got by with half as much power.

If the prop is heavy, it's not hard to carve a wood prop, which, if done carefully, could be quite a bit lighter than the plastic one.
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tips/propcarve.html
It's kind of fun. I've carved a few props for rubber models and a fairly small one for a 26 indoor model I built.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »

Lincoln:  What is a EZB and EXB?   I do have actuators, but for this first effort I went with micro servos of standard design.  It's all over kill, but it's fun getting back into RC a bit.

I got the push rods worked out - with a bit of old school technique.  The nylon ends are way over kill, but adjustable and the smallest thing I have on hand.  Lighter than the small metal ones I have although the nylon is more bulky.

I got the fin attached to the stabilizer.  I needed to do this to finalize my pushrod placement existing the fuselage.  Now that that is done, we'll start to cover the fuselage with tissue.

Getting close to finishing this project up!!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »

I'm back from a wonderful week in Mexico where I got to swim with Whale Sharks!! and just have some good relaxing times with my family.  Now I'm ready to get this build completed  Smiley 

I covered the top of the fuselage and attached the windshield.  The bottom sides will require covering in smaller sections to keep it smooth.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »

Here are some finishing shots of my build.  It's ready to fly with just some small items left i.e. setting final balance, timing the motor run, etc.

I did run the battery down at about 1/2 power and it ran for 5 min.  Lots of pull!!  I did take out my adjustment for down thrust.  With my little test hand tosses w power, it was really being pulled nose down.  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:39:49 PM by bgrove » Logged
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »

Just a few more shots showing the canopy in place and the pushrods - which I had to redo because I made them 1 inch too long   Angry
Total weight is approx. 95 grams.
daveh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »

Looking good Brad, I look forward to reports of flight tests. Like the colour scheme by the way.

Dave
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »

I'm putting flying the Sinbad Jr. on hold........

Driving home from work last night, I realized that I will most likely destroy the plane my first attempt to fly it.  I have not flown a radio controlled plane for 25+ years and the Sinbad Jr. is a pretty fragile stick and tissue plane.  I just keep visualizing landing hard and the wing tearing off along with the top of the fuselage.

Then I remembered seeing a small, 1/2 finished fuselage in one of my scrape wood boxes!!  So when I got home I dug it out and even found the plans  Smiley  It's a 32 inch span Das Splat Jr.  I'm going to build two wings:  one without ailerons and a lot of dihedral and the second with limited dihedral and ailerons.  Both with be attached with rubber bands to the fuselage.

This well be a tough, hard to break, easy to fix plane that I can re-learn flying with.  Then I'll fly the Sinbad Jr.

I'll post my build of the Das Splat Jr. in Radio Control electric section.

Hopefully I will post flight tests for the Sinbad in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:03:43 PM by bgrove » Logged
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:58 PM »

It is a wise man that can pull back from a toy model. Roll Eyes

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 05:08:32 PM »

I came across some old photos from the early 1970's and had to share them.

Here I am with a Sinbad at my workbench.  And a shot of my Dad and I flying the Sinbad in the California Bay Area foothills in back of the HP Labs (Palo Alto).  Great memories!!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2017, 05:18:04 AM »

Great memories Brian. It looks like you had a lot of fun back then.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: