Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2018, 07:52:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Keil Kraft Cadet  (Read 790 times)
JB006+3/16ths
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »

I built one as a child which wasn't successful probably due to my lack of skills and my fathers long lapse of flying models.
I am building this one for Hi-Start bungee launch and am going to try auto rudder as one I was given on starting this build tends to loop in in hard. I can get it to go straight on the line but then it doesn't turn hence the idea of auto rudder on this one.
Progress can be slow but updates will follow.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Keil Kraft Cadet

All we represent to them man is somebody needs haircuts.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »

What's the system behind auto rudder?

I have a second-hand micro brick receiver with integral linear servos, which might just make the Cadet into an interesting rudder & elevator model - probably more for gentle sloping than towline, but would be fun to try.
JB006+3/16ths
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

Hello Jack,

Not being an expert in I will try to explain. A piece of ply on the rudder has one line that holds the rudder for straight launch is released when the model casts off from the towline/bungee. The other side is an rubber band or spring which when the model casts off moves the rudder just enough to introduce some turn. Sorry if you already knew this and were asking something else.
Mine will remain free flight as I don't fly radio.

John

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »

Thanks for that John - I didn't know what auto-rudder was.

I do really like the appearance of the Cadet - the cockpit is reminiscent of the Eaglet/Competitor rubber models, one of Bill Dean's trademarks.  On my walk with the dog this evening I was mulling over what would need doing to make it a reasonable light winds RC slope-soarer on rudder and elevator.  Like a lot of older FF designs, the tailplane has a lifting section; why I don't know, but I'd make it flat and cut a V out the middle to allow for full rudder movement.  I'd also plan a removable hatch in the top of the front decking for battery access, with an allowance for ballast to be popped in under the wing at the CG point on the assumption that the wing-loading will need upping for the slope.

Anyway, never mind my musings about all that - enjoy the build and show some photos when you're ready!

Cheers

Jon
JB006+3/16ths
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »

Hello Jon,

Yes it's a good looking design, my main reason for building it was reminiscence of childhood. Not having any experience of slope soaring I can't offer any advice.
I have a West Wings Slingsby Swallow kit which I bought to build for Hi-Start Bungee launch but am toying with installing radio to use it in small fields with a bungee launch to get it up. Despite this it is not next on the list as I have a Keil Kraft Phantom control liner to build next on the list - more reminiscence of childhood.

John

JB006+3/16ths
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »

Evening All, Finally progress on the Cadet, all covered and doped, the fuselage is a bit of a pigs ear as the domestic tissue I used kept tearing, I didn't have enough Esaki to cover it and leave left over for repairs, also fancied different colours.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Keil Kraft Cadet

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: