Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2018, 02:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA INDOOR FREE FLIGHT SCALE NATIONALS 2018  (Read 4617 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »

...And I should imagine that flying a newly finished, highly competitive, well trimmed scale model in open rubber might well be the most fun of all.

Absolutely Pete, indeed any of the Open classes!

I don't think one can discern a trend based on a single event.  Although I was absent then due to illness I understand that last year's numbers were pretty high.  This year by comparison was quieter.  Next year will be fine I'm sure.

I'm chuffed that there were three juniors present and competing (and maybe my own lad will have been inspired by yesterday to complete his Jodel and enter it next year!?).  But the more immediate sustainability for the medium term will come from encouraging people still of working age (young adults to middle age) to participate.  That is where Kit Scale is so valuable, in that it gives modellers of even limited experience an opportunity to participate and learn, and thereby grow in confidence over time so that the perceived barriers to the Open classes naturally lower.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »

Well, I think we probably have pretty much the same conversation every year (and I'm more guilty than most of instigating and continuing it). But hopefully someone's about to shut me up by posting some more photos or vids from yesterday!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »

Well it inspired me. I have already got my strategy sorted for next year. I have my Kitscale plan chosen and printed off and have convinced myself I'll have it built at least a week before next years event. I have two choices for the open rubber class - the Fokker won't feature as it has now been relegated to less formal events (and that's only if I get it flying). The Fury is destined to be in the air race again (Russ - if you're up for it I think we could get at least 2 extra laps if I can stop the motor from jumping off the hook...? And, by the way, thanks again - your last rushed wind-up got that all important extra lap just in the nick of time).
I have also decided to try harder to coax my 14 year old to build his Widgeon - I'm sure he likes the idea of entering, but needs the right level of gentle pressure and positive encouragement. Then there's my eldest who is now 23 - he built an Aerographics Eindecker when he was 14 and might be talked into entering it one day (it is still in one piece). Then there's my brother, who is a possible contender - an excellent modeller. If only I could steer him away from the idea of building a full size boat, which would surely be a waste of his talents and tendency for a ridiculous attention to detail.

Still buzzing...

It wasn't me
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 55

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »

Inspired myself Rich .... especially with a bit of participation in the air race.
Definitely volunteer again next year  Smiley

My lads are both grown up now with little hope of them being interested ... fingers crossed for the 7 month old grand daughter!
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »

Blimey Russ

We'll have to start making infant certificates if your grand daughter starts modelling any time soon, never mind junior ones!

John M
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »

At the end of the day, I learned that up on the balcony my son had filmed a few snippets of the pylon race on his phone, so I've cobbled them together to make this short film. Sorry, but it's pure self indulgence: he wasn't focusing on anyone's model but mine! Auster Agricola- natural born racer!  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDPWcE_r8E&feature=youtu.be

Oh Andrew, it was all going so well!  Grin Grin
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2018, 03:56:46 AM »

...But hopefully someone's about to shut me up by posting some more photos or vids from yesterday!

I'll help you out Pete!   Grin

I was too under the weather to concentrate on anything else except not making a disgrace of Neville's Camel when my turn came (having for the record re-smashed the cabane struts, re-broken the lower wing roots plus stoved-in the engine firewall and removed the undercarriage on Saturday's trimming session catastrophe), but here are a random handful of not too shaky Kit Scale 1st Round videos taken by the Kid on our little camera https://photos.app.goo.gl/S5Dyt4Tlh3k8Q77A3 featuring:

John Bowerman - Chipmunk
Andrew Darby - Bird Dog
Pete Fardell - Fairchild
John Holman - Auster AOP
Dan Mellor - Big Cub (*)
Kevin Wallace - Super Cub

(*) = superb flight Dan!!
Also in this video the keen-eared will hear the Kid express sheer love for the sound of a reciprocating motor... so NOW I know how to get him hooked and back into building!   Cheesy

There wasn't a good video of my own 1st Round flight, but here's the 4th Round flight: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ot2xd4BcISQocwDw1
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »

My goodness Jon - you really are getting things sorted aren't you.  Great stuff.

Russ - I like the idea of encouraging the granddaughter - look what people like Div Masters and Monique do.... but may I suggest you get some time in yourself in the interim - other wise you might be a bit lacking - pot and kettle here of course as well.

Having instilled some discipline in myself and re-alocating some priorities I may also turn up - but don't let the discourage you of course!! Wink Smiley

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:29 AM »

Russ - I like the idea of encouraging the granddaughter ... people like Div Masters
I think you mean Vibes Masters, David (clue: Divs is the one with the beard). Speaking of whom, they were both conspicuously missing on Sunday. Hope they're both okay.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »

Thanks Pete - yes..... and I can’t even blame predictive interference form my computer.  Yes, It dawned on me a little later we had not seen or heard.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »

Pistachio results... (Photo wasn't as bad as I thought. Sorry, really didn't get the Peanut results though)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: BMFA INDOOR FREE FLIGHT SCALE NATIONALS 2018
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2018, 10:23:11 AM »

Great result for Tim .... love his little SRE  Smiley
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »

The scale BMFA site has moved to one of those jittery modern sites ... can't get anywhere on it.
Have the official results been uploaded yet?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »

I had the same problem, Russ. Gordon was always quick to get the results onto the old site but this new one doesn't look as though its ready for them to me. If you or anyone got a pic of the peanut scores, perhaps they could post it on here?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »

Jon, inspired by your Camel, I came home, took an axe to mine and stuck in a Telco. Can't wait for spring
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »

Thanks for those seven videos Jack Plane in Reply # 81 !    Grin   VERY COOL  !!   Tell the kid with the little camera that he did a great job !    Thanks for the names and models with each video.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:37 PM »

Bill the plywood effect on your Camel looks very nice - you've achieved a lighter shade than I seem to get.  Care to share what colour and technique you used?
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »

Pete - Peanut results below.

Bill - Well done on the conversion!  For info - and wouldn't dream of teaching anyone to suck eggs - my left-rudder Camel worked well with (i) almost maximum down-thrust and a reasonable amount of side, (ii) 1/16" gurney strips under both port wings, plus a bit of lead strapped to the aft starboard wing strut (with gratitude to Pete Smart for originally suggesting that dodge!).

Richard - That's a pleasure.  Wherever we are in the world, we all enjoy and learn so much from fellow aeromodellers everywhere.  Smiley
john bowerman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »

John
Thanks for the video of the Chippy, it will help me to see how I can improve the flight pattern.
The Camel flew superbly, you saved the best to the last, well done.
John
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »

Ha! Mike I've told you before that it looks nice from 10000 miles away via a camera with a thumbprint on the lens. I just went on google images and typed in 'plywood'. In truth it's pretty horrible
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

Thanks for the video of the Chippy, it will help me to see how I can improve the flight pattern.

I love the Chippy and thought your Aerographics version was really lovely (and a more accurate kit than the KK one I made a while ago).  That flight reminded me of what Andy Blackburn and I both experienced with our VMC Spits in Nijmegen:  a tendency (of all low wing monoplanes?) towards phugoidal flight after the initial climb, the extent of which diminishes - as your's did - as the power runs down.  Nail that and open up the circuit slightly for the space available and... and I'll re-join the Air Cadets!   Smiley
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »

Gordon emailed the results to myself and others on Monday as usual. 
Ian Pallister used to put them up on the Scale BMFA website pretty much straight away.
That website is now being run down, as a new one linked to the main BMFA site has been started and info is getting migrated over. 
I spoke with Ian today and he will get the results up on the new site asap - please be patient as he is also training up an new person to run the scale website.  These things all take time and volunteers you know.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »

A lot of plywood did and does look gritty Bill and Ihave reason to believe that the quality of plywood used on WWI aircraft was not high. Maybe they anticipated the high wasteage rate?

Mike, not sure what paint you use for wood grain effects but I find the quick drying oils quite good  - you can work the brush strokes quite well to represent grain.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »

These things all take time and volunteers you know.
Absolutely! And thank you.  (Sorry, I shouldn't have chuntered about the new website.  I just get easily confused when things change, but I'm sure there are good reasons and don't think anyone really minds waiting.)
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »

I was spectating and static photographing and generally getting in the way. These were supposed to give me an idea of how the judges rated different standards of finish. I have 4Mb versions if anyone wants copies of their own models - PM me.

Interesting the top two places in KS were CO2 powered...
Nigel
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: