Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 21, 2017, 04:52:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: maker lab project for teens  (Read 140 times)
hairystrawberry
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »

our local science museum has a classic CL model plane.  looking for suggestions of whether covert to electric or keep with the current torp19 & scrounge for parts (if the engine will even run with minimal effort).  i can provide pictures if it helps...new to model planes & open to suggestions.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

www.brodak.com   is a one stop shop for most things control line-whether IC or electric  (other than pure C/L speed items!)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »

Nothing attracts attention like the roar (and the smell) of an alcohol-fueled engine. Those silent electrics have to be seen to be heard.
ian
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »

What do you wish to DO with this airplane?

If it's old enough to have a Torp on it, then it's probably best hung up in, well, a museum.  If you want something to teach kids how to fly planes then you need something that can be crashed multiple times.
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 180

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

Hairy Strawberry.
I think you probably want to give a litle more explanation of what you are talking about because the young men in Hippocket are at least 60 and we all speak a different language to youngsters.  I thought I knew what a museum was but I still Googled it (honestly) and it was what I thought it was, a place to store old objects so that people can see what life was like at that period.  So the answer is obvious the control liner must be left as it is as a record of history.
I then spotted more in the heading, 'maker lab project for teens'.  This meant nothing to me.  I had heard of the ''Ovalteenies' of course but I could not see a connexion, so it was back to Google. If I understand correctly this is a worthy attempt, by people whose business is education, to encourage young people to look at how things were done in the past and see if they can make improvements.  Over to you at this point, Hairy Strawberry if I am not on the right lines.
If I am then I think the idea of changing the Dirty, Smelly, Noisy internal combustion engine for a Clean,Odourless,Quiet,Controllable electric motor is an excellent example of the Maker Lab suggestion.
John

USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »

Just my 2 pence worth....
If it is a classic CL it means it was build to withstand the heavy vibrations of the Torpedo 19 engine. That means hefty motor bearers to transmit the vibration to the whole airframe. Surely the airframe is not on the light side and let alone that most probably the fuselage is soaked with oil. So any maggior surgery is more work than building a new one to the idea of Tim Wescott, the young guys will learn more and have more fun building new models from scratch.

Hang it on the ceiling.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: