Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 20, 2018, 05:41:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: maker lab project for teens  (Read 1086 times)
hairystrawberry
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »

our local science museum has a classic CL model plane.  looking for suggestions of whether covert to electric or keep with the current torp19 & scrounge for parts (if the engine will even run with minimal effort).  i can provide pictures if it helps...new to model planes & open to suggestions.
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

www.brodak.com   is a one stop shop for most things control line-whether IC or electric  (other than pure C/L speed items!)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »

Nothing attracts attention like the roar (and the smell) of an alcohol-fueled engine. Those silent electrics have to be seen to be heard.
ian
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:47 PM »

What do you wish to DO with this airplane?

If it's old enough to have a Torp on it, then it's probably best hung up in, well, a museum.  If you want something to teach kids how to fly planes then you need something that can be crashed multiple times.
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 229

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

Hairy Strawberry.
I think you probably want to give a litle more explanation of what you are talking about because the young men in Hippocket are at least 60 and we all speak a different language to youngsters.  I thought I knew what a museum was but I still Googled it (honestly) and it was what I thought it was, a place to store old objects so that people can see what life was like at that period.  So the answer is obvious the control liner must be left as it is as a record of history.
I then spotted more in the heading, 'maker lab project for teens'.  This meant nothing to me.  I had heard of the ''Ovalteenies' of course but I could not see a connexion, so it was back to Google. If I understand correctly this is a worthy attempt, by people whose business is education, to encourage young people to look at how things were done in the past and see if they can make improvements.  Over to you at this point, Hairy Strawberry if I am not on the right lines.
If I am then I think the idea of changing the Dirty, Smelly, Noisy internal combustion engine for a Clean,Odourless,Quiet,Controllable electric motor is an excellent example of the Maker Lab suggestion.
John

USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »

Just my 2 pence worth....
If it is a classic CL it means it was build to withstand the heavy vibrations of the Torpedo 19 engine. That means hefty motor bearers to transmit the vibration to the whole airframe. Surely the airframe is not on the light side and let alone that most probably the fuselage is soaked with oil. So any maggior surgery is more work than building a new one to the idea of Tim Wescott, the young guys will learn more and have more fun building new models from scratch.

Hang it on the ceiling.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
F4FGuy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:55:05 AM »

I kind of agree with Urs, but for different reasons. The resurrection of a piece of history is good, but why then put it at risk by trying to fly it with no one having any experience?  The kids (and instructors) will learn far more and will have more sense of accomplishment, if they build and fly their own planes.
  Simple 1/2A profiles can be inexpensive, and most of all, interesting to kids. If the history of aviation is a part of your program, you can make a 1/2A profile look like anything from a WWI to post WWII airplane without changing it's flyability in any major way.(Admittedly some will fly better than others.)

Attached are some of the models built and flown by 9-14 yr old kids in a program I designed for our club several years ago.
over four years, over two hundred kids built and flew these . 

If you want more info on our program or the models PM me.

Ron Burn (F4FGuy)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: maker lab project for teens
qazimoto
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 05:35:56 AM »

Perhaps I could interpret here. A "Makers Lab" is a totally new concept where people get together and make things with their hands using hand and machine tools.  It's totally different to any activity that we septuagenarian and octogenarians may have done in our lives. The nearest we may have come to it is building a model :-)
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »

Hey Qas,
Steady on with the octogenarian reference. Ive just entered Septageneria, a land inhabited by old coots. Are you saying that we would understand a maker lab as a workshop?
Young people and their strange manor of speech!
Hope they are able to come up with a project that will get them flying.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
qazimoto
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 07:18:15 PM »

Hey Qas,
Steady on with the octogenarian reference. Ive just entered Septageneria, a land inhabited by old coots. Are you saying that we would understand a maker lab as a workshop?
Young people and their strange manor of speech!
Hope they are able to come up with a project that will get them flying.

A "maker lab" is also known as a "maker space". Apparently this business of people making stuff was invented just a few years ago. Gen Y apparently did it. Before that who knows what happened.
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »

Think of most Maker spaces as an open workshop.

I belong to one locally and it has machine tools and a laser cutter, as well as an entire wood shop available to use.
You can learn to weld, work wood, work metal, or make stuff with large CNC machines.
All require various levels of certification (training) before use.

Some items are popular and it is first come, first serve.

https://pumpingstationone.org/

If you can get some folks in one to build a plane, I'd say go for it!

Regards.
Mike Kirda

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »

This is a new concept for me.  Do these facilities exist as part of an organization?  Nationwide?
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 130

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »

I'm with Greggles! Strenuously(well as much as possible) object to the octogenarian references as a young also septuagenarian Smiley
We don't seem to have "maker Labs" here but we do have Men's Sheds for ah - septuagenarians  Smiley or slightly younger.

For the younger generation it is possibly best to visit a museum or Wikipedia to discover what mankind did after moving on from stone axes to modelling knives Smiley

However I agree with F4F Guy - simple profile models if CL and why not small rubber FF models as also shown.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: