Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 04:32:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flutter Copter  (Read 519 times)
RandyW
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2017, 01:23:50 AM »

I found this plan and downloaded it from Outerzone.  The full size drawing will print on 8-1/2 x 11" paper. I built the two seen here in an afternoon.  The construction article stated the helicopter would fly without adjustment of any kind.  In this era of advertising hype and broken promises I was shocked to discover the designer was quite correct in his statement!  Did the test flights in the living room then off to the field.  While the chopper is not a good choice for flying in windy conditions, it consistently tops 2 minutes in the morning calm with only a loop of 1/8" tan II rubber. I will confess to the fact the motor was lubed and winder wound. The only change I made during construction was to add a thread and toothpick king-post to the motor stick, mostly because I didn't have any rock hard stock suitable for the application.

Watching this bird fly takes me back to the days of my miss-spent youth, and the Jim Walker Ceiling Walkers I used to buy for a quarter at the local variety store.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Flutter Copter
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »

Oh, timely.  I have a modeling friend who got run over by a truck and is currently in the hospital.  I was thinking that you might be able to slip something like that by the nurses, particularly if you're a grandmother.  As soon as she gets to the point where her energy is back but she's still tied to the bed she'll need something like that.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »

This copter is an amazing indoor flier.  The last Don Martin Cup rubber powered helicopter contest was won using one of these.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
studster
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »

This looks like a great afternoon project! This project has moved to the top of the list of distractions from the things I should be doing. Thank you for sharing. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

~john
studster
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:31 AM »

After reading the post about the Fluttercopter I went home and got to work. I built the Fluttercopter exactly as the plans prescribed. It flew pretty good in my living room, but seemed as though it needed more power. I took it outside and stretch wound the rubber. When I was attaching the rubber to the copter things went south and I broke the stick and a propeller (see photo).

Figuring it needed more oomph, I rebuilt the propellers out of birch coffee stirrers I had on hand - I used 1/16" balsa on the tips of the props. I switched out the 1/8" rubber for 3/16" rubber as well. I put it in the car and drove to the park. When I got to the park I found one of the balsa tips on the propeller was completely missing. Not sure how that happened. I still decided to take it for a spin. The Fluttercopter flew wonderfully (see photo). I was getting fifteen second flights without stretch winding - and I probably could have wound it more but I didn't wish to press my luck.

Thanks for the inspiration on the fun afternoon project!
~john
Re: Flutter Copter
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »

Bill Carney designed a good one, a little more work than this, though.

Here's the original....

http://aerostories.free.fr/precurseurs/penaud/page2.html

art

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »

Living room Copter.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.