Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2017, 10:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spektrum DX9, user replaceable parts (NONE)  (Read 246 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »

I was shocked to learn that Horizon Hobbies does not support the Spektrum line of transmitters with parts.
This isn’t an FCC Part 15 issue as there are a lot of parts on the transmitter that do not effect the transmission of radio frequencies.

Since the beginning of time we the end user of the transmitter have been able to replace broken switches, worn out pots and a host of other transmitter parts. I’m thinking way back to brands Like E.K. Lodgicontrol, Pro Line, Kraft, Ace, Futaba of America, and Multiplex. Even today you can get Tx parts for the Fr-Sky TX direct from the importer Aloft Hobbies.

I recently broke the “E” switch on my Spektrum DX9. Not wanting to spend time sorting through the Digikey catalog I ask Horizon for the switch part number so I could put it on an order I was about to place at Horizon Hobbies. I was stunned when Horizon Hobbies said they don’t sell Tx parts and that I should pack up the TX and send it in for service.

I’m stunned that Horizon Hobbies would want me to suffer the cost of shipping the TX out for service. But more to the point loose the use of the TX for a few weeks at the peak of the flying season! This is not customer service focused on the needs of the customer! It is great that they (Horizon Hobbies) offer a service to repair the TX for those that don’t have an inclining to repair it themselves. But to limit those of us that have the skills or are willing to replace components is an opportunity lost for a parts sale.

I was then motivated to pull off the back of the Tx to see what was what back there. This wasn’t as easy as it should have been. The top antenna cover would not release. Once the back cover was removed I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was nothing unusual with the pots and switches used by Spektrum.

Now I hate to admit this but breaking switch levers is “normal” for me. As such I tend to order replacement parts at the time I purchase the radio. So it wasn’t a surprise that I had the exact switch in stock in a Multiplex package. Ok, it wasn’t the same switch, the housing was red verses the gray one in the Spektrum TX.

So for the effort to remove the 8 screws on the back panel and 5 minutes to heat up the soldering iron I replaced the $1.75 switch. I didn’t have to suffer the effort of boxing up the TX or the cost of shipping. Nor did I have to wait weeks for the return of the TX. I’m able to go flying today.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Horizon would NOT want to sell non-RF components to us the end user? I have a full set of replacement switches for my Fr-Sky Taranis Plus from Aloft Hobbies. This is a modern native 2.4gHz TX that is arguably 5 times more powerful and half the cost of the DX9.

Horizon is normally very focused on the end user. I don’t understand why they would want to drive away customers by lack of parts support. It isn’t the money, it is the time without the use of the TX that is the real concern for the customer.

All the best,

Konrad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Spektrum DX9, user replaceable parts (NONE)

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »

I have a slightly different experience of Horizon customer service. I bought a second hand DX8, within a month the left hand gimbal had fallen to pieces. A quick inspection showed that it had been broken previously and stuck back together, the glue had not held for long!
Horizon said 'send it in' so I did. It came back by return of post with a new gimbal FREE OF CHARGE. They knew I had not bought it new, so owed me nothing, they also knew it was not a component failure (the way it had broken indicated that the TX had been dropped or had something dropped onto the gimbal). But they still fixed it free and fast, I did not even get charged for the return postage.
The problem with selling parts to Joe Public is that while  Konrad is careful, skilled worker who knows what he is doing, you are outnumbered ten to one with less careful bodgers who really don't!

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »

I agree! Horizon Hobbies has had, still has, great customer service. And they warrant issues that are well beyond the scope of any written warranty.

Horizon Hobbies also has a tech staff that is well versed and skilled, can't say that of some other "wanna be" big box distributors.

But why hamper those of us that still know how to use a soldering iron. After all we are not "Joe Public" in that we are hobbyists. If Horizon Hobbies had offered a gimbal assembly the original owner might not have attempted that ill advised repair.

I know tracking and managing inventory is a business expense.  But as a flier the time lost at the hight of the flying season is far more costly by my value system.

I'm holding up Fr-Sky and my local hobby shop and importer Aloft Hobbies as examples of how it is done right. They offer great technical service in support of the product. And at the same time offer replacement part for "Joe Public" should Joe want or need to fix the product himself.
http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-replacement-gimbal.html

I disagree that selling repair parts to Joe Public is a problem. This mind set by corporations might explain why we have so many throw away ARF today

Like I said it is about time not cost to most of us, the end user.

Konrad

lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »

It would be nice if the switches radio manufacturers use were a bit more robust. Seems to me that the lever is usually too long, meaning it takes less force to snap off. That reminds me I have a switch to replace on one of my transmitters. I kinda wish they plugged in from the outside so I could have ONLY the switches I use instead of a virtual porcupine.
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »

It would be nice if the switches radio manufacturers use were a bit more robust. Seems to me that the lever is usually too long, meaning it takes less force to snap off. That reminds me I have a switch to replace on one of my transmitters. I kinda wish they plugged in from the outside so I could have ONLY the switches I use instead of a virtual porcupine.
That is much like the philosophy of the Mutiplex Profi 3300, 4000. Even the current Multiplex Roval Evo is set up this way. Tell Hitec that is what you would like to see in the radios they offer in the USA.

I for one like the various length switches from an ergonomic stand point. It actually makes moving around the chrome porcupine manageable without taking your eyes of your model. Breaking switch levers is much preferable to breaking the TX housing.

With a Dremel cut off wheel  and polishing disks you can custom size the levers to your needs.

Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »

My current radio is an Airtronics SD-10G. Since hobby people (the distributor) is no longer with us and the new distributor, serpentusa is not interested in any thing but surface radios, I bought a used SD-10G as a backup/parts radio. In my case this was practical since I only paid $75.00 for the used one even though it's in perfect working order with less than 300 hours "on" time. I haven't broken a switch yet but at least I'll have spares when I do. Unfortunately I don't think too many used DX-9's are out there and probably not for less than $100 if you were to find one. Sadly even with the airtronics, replacing a lever isn't all that easy since they are soldered to a board. It's doable but it would have been nice if the switches were plug and play instead. Horizon does indeed have great customer service but sending in a radio to replace a lever is ridiculous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: