Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2017, 03:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kiel Kraft Dolphin: Banana Twist  (Read 1029 times)
RJ and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Jasco
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter
Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »

All the pictures didn't upload. Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Kiel Kraft Dolphin: Banana Twist

Cutting open my thumbs since 1964.
Ouch
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »

Looking very reminiscent!

How do you train your cat(s) not to touch?  Shocked
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »

Nice work Jasco.

John
Jasco
Bronze Member

Topic starter
Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »

Jack Plane, I went through all my photos trying to figure out how you knew I had cats!
Projects sit out in the family room on my tv tray all the time.  I don't know why the (2) cats don't bother them, although I did catch them in the garage a couple days ago taking an unwanted interest in the Dolphin fuselage.  More dangerous are the 4 dogs...specifically their tails. 
They also have shown a tendency to chase down airplanes at the field.  No damage yet, but I'll leave the dogs at home for test flying!

Ouch
Jasco
Bronze Member

Topic starter
Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:07:13 AM »

Summer vacation is over and time to return to the Dolphin. I hoped to have this plane done for summer evening flying and I may still accomplish that!
     As I mentioned several times I used Deluxe Products "Super 'Phatic" glue for the majority of construction and I'm a convert. Not as fast drying as cyanoacrylate, but if you are familiar with the use of Titebond, etc you will not be surprised. The advantage is in the amount of glue required is very small especially for tight fitting joints. Both my joinery  and glue application need serious work, but I was very pleased with the stuff.
     Also mentioned was the use of "Eze Dope" water based dope for covering. That has been an experience worth documenting.
     Before I go any further, I encourage anyone trying this product to watch the instructional video on YouTube. Do it the way they say, and it works...for the most part.
     I haven't done a lot of wet covering, but that's what DP recommends, so a coat of 70% water, 30% dope was applied to the framework, Japanese tissue was sprayed with a 5% solution, applied to the framework, and more thin dope flowed through to the structure. A very familiar process. I found I tended to UNDER wet the tissue, but when I  got it wet enough, the dope tended to pool on the surface. As it turned out, the pooling didnt cause a problem. Getting the tissue to stick WAS a problem, requiring that I constantly rub the tissue down around the edges. My paranoia payed off, and enough water finally evaporated that it started getting sticky and I was confident to leave it alone to dry.
     The results were encouraging, so the same process was used for the top side of the stab. The tissue I'm using is some old Japanese tissue I had laying around since the pre-internet days; it was probably ordered from Peck-polymers.
     You can see in the photos how frighteningly wet the tissue needed to be to give me enough time to position it, but it went around the compound curves beautifully!  I applied 2 coats of 70/30 dope with some little foam brushes found at Michael's and the stab was complete.  I think it looks pretty good!

Ouch
mick66
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:33:20 AM »

Nice job

I always wanted the KK Conquest as a kid but the model shop owner (Chippies in Sunderland) would never get it in.  Too many other kits to sell in stock already I guess. 

Look forward to seeing it finished.

Mike
Jasco
Bronze Member

Topic starter
Aero ergo Sum

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Today at 11:23:28 AM »

The only FF kits my local hobby shop stocked was Guillow's scale models and sleek-streeks. If i wanted to see the models I had no hope of ever paying for, I rode my bike about 5 miles to a neighboring shop. Still, I never heard of Keil Kraft or Frog designs until just recently. Now I'm hooked. Grin

Ouch
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: