Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2018, 10:31:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What goes here?  (Read 947 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »

What type of models (or discussion of model) belongs under this Indoor RC assist? How this different from the Stick and Tissue R/C classification under Radio Control Models?
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?board=89.0

I have a few 17" and 24" models there that might be moved to a more approbate form?

On first read I think that this new classification is unnecessary, as it fragments the discussion into too limiting or specific classification. This often results in the loss of cross-pollination of ideas. I know that this has been a problem with some of the other form sites, too cliquey and general non-acceptance of ideas from other disciplines.

So does the moderator have a formal definition of the type of model to be discussed here?

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »

Well for a start many indoor RC models are not made of sticks and tissue. Foam is a very useful building material that would not be appropriate in Stick and Tissue R/C.

But putting indoor R/C under Indoor Free Flight and calling it R/C "Assist" does seem a little strange so I'll be interested in the answer too.

Steve
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »

Konrad, you maybe missed Dave H's original post which led to the new category:
Thinking about scale micro R/C (or radio assist) for indoor (probably calm weather outdoor as well?) it strikes me that there is no real home for such models on the site. There is R/C scale and stick & tissue R/C, then there are peanut, pistachio and other indoor free flight scale, but none of them seems quite to fit the bill and since we now have UK indoor scale R/C comps it seems to me to be a gap worth filling.

Perhaps the word 'assist' in the title is a tad misleading/un-needed though?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:54:12 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that I use this forum incorrectly. I just go through all the posts on the 'recent posts' thing. I find interesting stuff in places I would never look, and find no difficulty in quickly filtering out the lengthy discussions on how to cut a piece of brass tube in half.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:05:33 AM »

That's true Bill. There's certainly no point getting worked up about semantics, thread titles etc. as you can simply bookmark the ones you definitely want to follow. In any case, however the titles are organised there are always going to be overlaps.

(Of course it goes without saying that one man's "how to cut a brass tube in half" is another man's "Albatros C.XII"!)
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »

Guys,

Sorry if as a recent incomer to this great Forum I've started a can of worms situation but all I did was suggest that maybe there was room for another classification and asked for reactions. I received a couple of replies and then Sundance moved my topic to this new section. It wasn't my choice that it go into indoor free flight although that does seem as good a choice as stick and tissue R/C that features large outdoor models as well as the smaller stuff. My original suggestion was a classification that would encompass indoor and calm weather outdoor micro R/C or radio assist as from what I have seen at meetings such as Old Warden and Shawbury, such models are becoming more popular. I also thought that it could encourage class modellers such as Pete Iliffe to join in. As regards fragmenting discussions, as Bill Dennis has pointed out by simply selecting the 'recent posts, heading (which is what I do) you can see the titles of posts and look at what seems of interest and as Pete Fardell says, however things are arranged there will always be some overlaps. All in all I set out to be constructive and to add to the Site's interest; if I have annoyed anyone in the process I apologise but I certainly do not want to start or encourage cliques or to discourage cross-fertilisation. Now it has got underway, though, it would seem pointless to try and sort out the finer points of semantics unless Ratz or Sundance think that what I have started is misleading or harmful to the Site as a whole.

Dave Hunt   
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

I am missing something? 

Small R/C models are very likely going to be indoor?  Sometimes Out?

Dave's new topic is simply micro /R/C, thereby covering a wide range of models and materials and construction methods. So surely it will "collect" together a wide spectrum of models/modellers in one place of a general type.  Seems to me ideally located and will not be specific  to any detrimental degree. And will encourage discussion/revalation of a variety of ideas and methods across the board and not limited to one particular method/type/preference.

I don't think any further change or debate is needed. The site as a whole is pretty user friendly even to me so other folk should have no problems at all.

The views of Bill and Pete are I suspect echoed by many?

Carry on Dave.... I think it will be much appreciated frankly!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »

This category is still in pending status, until it further evolves. Then it will get stuck or sliced up and integrated.

Cheers

Sundance12
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:18:55 AM by Sundance12 » Logged

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »

First off nobody is offended, well not I.

Having been involved in converting many small models to R/C for 40 years, stick and tissue just meant small. It covered models that ranged in size 8" to over 40" but were light in construction. We used all sorts of materials. I'm showing my Jef Raskin design and built "Pickle" from 10 years ago made from card stock. It is an 8"  3 channel model with Falcon servos.

When I think of indoor models my mind con jours up the gossamer FAI F1D type models.  Much of what we are now seeing being flown in large indoor arenas are what we called (in the old days) early morning fliers (no wind).

Sundance12,
Is it my eyes, but has this classification been moved from "indoor free flight" to the "Radio Control Form"?
That addresses many of my concerns.

If the British have a definition that is used at the Old Warden maybe it should be included in the category title?

All the best,
Konrad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What goes here?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »

Not everyone uses just "recent posts" so if things are going to be split up into forums it helps if their names and positions reflect their intended content to a reasonable degree.

And it's true, most micro R/C models can be used indoors or out (on the rare windless days). So now we're under Radio Control and with no assumptions about building material I can't see a problem. Of course the way I fly "R/C Interference" might be more appropriate than "R/C Assist" but I'll assume that's just me Wink.

Steve
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »

How about integrating this with the stick & tissue RC board and changing the title to "building of small RC models" or something similar? With subdivisions for scale-non-scale (maybe?)

To me, the main issues are:
own construction (avoidance of RTF models)
lightweight models (i.e. less than 200-300 grams ?)
slow flight suitable for indoors or calm outdoors.

Personally I see no reason for the term "RC assist", these are fully controllable models.

Also, although this has been corrected, definetely not in the free flight forums...

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »

Hey, it's going to stay here for the time being until we see the nature of models presented. As I said before, this topic is pending further development. I am on the fence as to where it really fits. We are going to give it some time. If it becomes more popular then we will see where it really goes.

Bruce

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: