Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 17, 2018, 05:33:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My new toy  (Read 373 times)
PETERRAKE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:30 PM »

I haven't had a chance to test fly this one yet but test glides onto the bed show promise.
It's deliberately Vintage styled and I got the parts laser cut by VMC. Span is 16", motor is from a Vapor and weight without battery is 15 grams give or take a gnats' whisker. In retrospect I'd lose the lightening holes in the ribs because they're simply more trouble than they're worth.
Radio gear is a DT 2 channel actuator receiver and Plantraco Micro Act operating rudder.
Covering is printed Esaki given some sprayed on coats (rattle can) of acrylic varnish.

Pete
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
My new toy
My new toy
My new toy
My new toy
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 152

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »

Pretty little model Peter.

John
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »

Nice clean build.
Wow, actuators!
Are the ribs built up or are holes just cut?
I see “burn marks”, do you have access to a laser cutter for these small parts?

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
PETERRAKE
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »

Thanks John.

Konrad,
Thanks.
Lightening holes are cut into the ribs, but I won't bother with them again on a model this size. Just not enough rib left to make handling easy - hence the unsanded laser burn.
As I said, I got Vintage Model Company to cut the parts. I struggle convincing myself to spend £30 on a kit, never mind 10 times that for a little laser. Shocked

Pete
PB_guy
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »

Rather than using lightning holes, you could do sliced top ribs and 1/16" square for the bottoms, or even straight 1/16" square top and bottom.
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My new toy
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:17 PM »

Peter, Thank you, I wasn't aware who or what "VMC" was.

I think most folks would agree with you that cutting holes into the rib isn't worth the huge loss of strength for the minuscule loss in weight. This is true of even the larger RC model.

Now at these scales the hollow or built up rib using the sliced rib or cracked rid method can pay large dividends in both strength and in weight savings.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
PETERRAKE
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »

Ian,
Love the semi geodetic sliced rib idea, I may well be pinching that. Should produce some really rigid wings.

Yes, sliced ribs would be better but I was working on the plans in CAD and it seemed like a good idea at the time because they're the same ribs as another model. For the weight gained from solid ribs it just isn't worth worrying about. Originally I was aiming for a 20 gram model RTF, but it's 2.5 grams lighter than that with a 50 mAh cell.
Capping the ribs with 1/32 balsa would work but probably end up heavier than solid ribs.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: