Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2017, 03:12:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)  (Read 438 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »

I picked up this kit at the IIFI in Nijmegen last November and started building it shortly after returning home, getting the fuselage and tail surfaces framed out.  Due to personal issues, I was not able to do much anything else from December thru June Sad.  Things have, however, started to pick up but at a much slower pace...

This is where I have gotten within the last few days:

Almost all woodwork done with just the nose-block to shape and drill for the thrust button.  The kit supplies a peck 1/8 button with the 3/64th hole, along with a diamond shaft - way overkill, but probably chosen for weight which the model will likely need.  I prefer a 1/32 shaft on these small, light models, so it'll get swapped out.

Bent the LG wires (front and rear) from the supplied 0.4mm stock - was a real PITA, but got it done without TOO much cussing Roll Eyes and the main wire is glued in.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:46:09 PM »

Very cute.
I built one of those from the Peck kit mid '70s after I won it in a Free Flight competition.
Flew it a lot, in fact flew it to death.  Keep it very light for better flight.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

Pit, looking very good.
I built one of those and was very happy with it.
The nose section is very tight, no much room for hook and rubber.
You already have the bones, I am sure you will make it to Nijmegen.

Roman
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »

Thanks guys!
This pup's been in the works a while, thanks to worsening issues with my mitts.  I started covering the flat bits last night using Tengujo (7 gram m²).  Model will be painted.

I was so impressed with the way that the one that flew at the 2016 IIFI (IIRC, 1st in Peanut Scale) that I snapped up one of the kits that were on sale there.  I just hope that I can do my kit justice.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »

Pit if you're looking for a scheme and a slight variation to the standard design we have quite a cute one here in NZ - Google ZK-JLO (You'll also get plenty of pictures of Jennifer Lopez but you can disregard them if you like!)
_shadow_
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »

I've always had my eyes on the PP Ganagobie, good to see a build thread on it.

Regards
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »

OK - some more on this Ganagobie.  Here is a link to the NZCivair Blogspot which gives you the full history of this aircraft and news of its designers one of whom now resides in NZ - Didn't know that before!  Apparently the Ganagobie Mousebird is an update of the original design,  but still an easy conversion from the Peck kit if anyone wanted.  Certainly appears to have a  lot going for it as a model 

http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2014/01/unique-james-lobet-ganagobie-of-new.html
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »

Pete,
        I have built a number of these and have a couple of comments. It is very easy to end up nose heavy with the short tail moment and the other challenge is the lack of room at the rear motor peg. I had rubber bunchings issues sometimes. It ROG's well and has real character in flight.
Ricky  
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Ricky!  I'm hoping that it comes out light enough to use 1/16th or thereabouts rubber.  The one in Nijmegen had the rear peg in the "stock" position and used a motor smaller than 3/32nd - I think.  I'll carve a prop if it turns out nose heavy.

ZK-AUD:  I'm aware of the NZ Mousebird, but that all glass enclosure is a bit too "exposing" (J-Lo does distract a bit much Grin).

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »

Started covering the other day.  Flat bits done.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)
Re: GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: