Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 07:12:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)  (Read 1433 times)
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:28:09 AM »

I picked up this kit at the IIFI in Nijmegen last November and started building it shortly after returning home, getting the fuselage and tail surfaces framed out.  Due to personal issues, I was not able to do much anything else from December thru June Sad.  Things have, however, started to pick up but at a much slower pace...

This is where I have gotten within the last few days:

Almost all woodwork done with just the nose-block to shape and drill for the thrust button.  The kit supplies a peck 1/8 button with the 3/64th hole, along with a diamond shaft - way overkill, but probably chosen for weight which the model will likely need.  I prefer a 1/32 shaft on these small, light models, so it'll get swapped out.

Bent the LG wires (front and rear) from the supplied 0.4mm stock - was a real PITA, but got it done without TOO much cussing Roll Eyes and the main wire is glued in.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:46:09 PM »

Very cute.
I built one of those from the Peck kit mid '70s after I won it in a Free Flight competition.
Flew it a lot, in fact flew it to death.  Keep it very light for better flight.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

Pit, looking very good.
I built one of those and was very happy with it.
The nose section is very tight, no much room for hook and rubber.
You already have the bones, I am sure you will make it to Nijmegen.

Roman
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »

Thanks guys!
This pup's been in the works a while, thanks to worsening issues with my mitts.  I started covering the flat bits last night using Tengujo (7 gram m²).  Model will be painted.

I was so impressed with the way that the one that flew at the 2016 IIFI (IIRC, 1st in Peanut Scale) that I snapped up one of the kits that were on sale there.  I just hope that I can do my kit justice.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »

Pit if you're looking for a scheme and a slight variation to the standard design we have quite a cute one here in NZ - Google ZK-JLO (You'll also get plenty of pictures of Jennifer Lopez but you can disregard them if you like!)
_shadow_
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »

I've always had my eyes on the PP Ganagobie, good to see a build thread on it.

Regards
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »

OK - some more on this Ganagobie.  Here is a link to the NZCivair Blogspot which gives you the full history of this aircraft and news of its designers one of whom now resides in NZ - Didn't know that before!  Apparently the Ganagobie Mousebird is an update of the original design,  but still an easy conversion from the Peck kit if anyone wanted.  Certainly appears to have a  lot going for it as a model 

http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2014/01/unique-james-lobet-ganagobie-of-new.html
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »

Pete,
        I have built a number of these and have a couple of comments. It is very easy to end up nose heavy with the short tail moment and the other challenge is the lack of room at the rear motor peg. I had rubber bunchings issues sometimes. It ROG's well and has real character in flight.
Ricky  
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Ricky!  I'm hoping that it comes out light enough to use 1/16th or thereabouts rubber.  The one in Nijmegen had the rear peg in the "stock" position and used a motor smaller than 3/32nd - I think.  I'll carve a prop if it turns out nose heavy.

ZK-AUD:  I'm aware of the NZ Mousebird, but that all glass enclosure is a bit too "exposing" (J-Lo does distract a bit much Grin).

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:53 AM »

Started covering the other day.  Flat bits done.
Re: GANAGOBIE (Peck Polymers)

A Dedicated Convert to:

Wind-it-up
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »

Hi everyone- Chuck here from Peck-Polymers.  Excited to see this build- especially since very soon we will be re-releasing the Ganagobie kit!  I've always had a soft spot for this model...and we finally had time to review the production situation this month.  It's time to get more of these flying again!   Grin

We're going to use some old stock labels but inside the box will be very light laser-cut wood as with our other Peanut Scale kits.  We have also laser-cut the windshields as one improvement...the other is that we're including our smaller and lighter 4.75" prop with 1/32 shaft.  This model has a long nose moment especially given the short tail, so light weight up front is pretty critical...and the original plan called for the included prop to be cut down to 4.75" anyway (perhaps the needed prop wasn't available when the model was originally released- another mystery for us!).

Pit - very nice work so far, especially since it looks like you had to cut out printwood...! PM me and I will set you up with the smaller prop, shaft and bearing.

Chuck Imbergamo
Wind-it-up Enterprises (new owners of Peck-Polymers)
www.Peck-Polymers.com

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »

PM sent!

A Dedicated Convert to:

Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 08:07:23 AM »

Chuck, I have had my head in the sand, and just read this post and see you have picked up Peck as a labor of love. I take it personally, because, Peck is my go to when I get in over my head in balsa dust, and need a reset. I just grab an orange box and all the confusion I cause myself goes away. Anyway I am relieved to see Peck in good hands... it has been tossed from one place to another since Sandy gave it up.

The Threadkiller!
Wind-it-up
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »

Thanks Crabby - it's definitely a labor of love with and emphasis on labor but also love! 

I'm glad that building Peck kits makes you and so many others happy!!
Wind-it-up
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »

Hello Ganagobie fans - I'm happy to report that we re-released the Ganagobie kit today!

http://www.peck-polymers.com/scale

We have laser-cut the windshield and also include basswood dowel for the landing gear struts, as a couple of improvements on this fun kit.  Who will be the first...?  Smiley

Chuck (AKA 'Mr. Peck')
Wind-it-up Enterprises (new owners of Peck-Polymers)
www.Peck-Polymers.com
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »

I have a huge soft spot for Peck kits in general and the Ganagobie in particular. It was my first successful peanut build in 1977 or so. I think I've built just about the entire range over the years since then, with the exceptions of the Miles and the Turbulent. Having said that, I have a Turbulent kit in the stash...

Good to see the range is in safe hands!

Dan.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »

Who will bash the kit to make our super cool NZ one?
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »

Who will bash the kit to make our super cool NZ one?

You.
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »

Altho the design didn't really "ring my chimes", I was super impressed with the performance at the IIFI and it kinda "grew" on me.  I AM having problems with the build - not due to the kit itself, but with my lack of tactile feeling - especially with binding the two wires of the landing gear.  I dispensed with binding and am using heat-shrink tubing and CA Shocked.

Once I get this together and flying, I may consider the NZ variant (I might be able to squeeze it somewhere in the 86,000 mile queue Roll Eyes)...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »

Decided to take the advice on building the larger stab.  The kit I had didn't have enough 1/20th strip so I had to go thru my stock.  Didn't bother to weigh the wood that I found, but the "new" part came out only 1 milligram heavier than the small stab (covered) at 0.251mg.  I had a doubled spar in the small stab (I had intended to make it adjustable), so there actually was a slight increase.

Hope to start covering the fuselage after I get back from the flea-market tomorrow.

My building has taken a nosedive since the realization that any travel this year would be impossible, but is slowly being remedied (the building part).  Just too many "life" events have gotten in the way

A Dedicated Convert to:

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 11:00:26 AM »

Covered with 7gr/m² Tengujo.  Fuselage has two coats of nitrate.  Covering is not quite as good as I prefer, as the tissue has only a 1% shrink rate requiring getting it on as tight as possible.

3.7 grams as shown.  Will be painted, so I'm expecting an AUW, sans rubber, of ~7 grams.

A Dedicated Convert to:

atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »

Ricky (DHnut) had the following comments on my. Ganagobie. There are a couple more comments on the thread which may be helpful.

Ates,    
       I dont want to upset the apple cart, but I have had at one stage a print of this model in colour and it showed a yellow, black lining and white colour scheme. I am not sure of the source as it was given to me by a friend but may have been from a EAA publication. Unfortunately it has been mislaid otherwise I would send a copy. My versions have all turned out nose heavy and a balsa prop is a must. Also there is a challenge of rubber bunching causing some fight variability. It is a great flier and will ROG with ease.
  Ricky    

Great, looking model, and you have a chance to get the color trim right too Wink

(Sorry, posted on the wrong thread. Will post on the correct one too.)

Atesus
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

Topic starter
aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »

No problem posting here or there Ates Wink!  I swapped out the supplied plastic wheels (0.35gr apiece) for balsa ones - 0.34gr for both.  Glazing will be from very nice cellophane, courtesy of a tasty package of "Mon Cheri".

Barring furrther catastrophies, I might be able to start painting today.

Oh, yeah... I carved a couple of balsa props - one block and a fan styles - both around 0.6 grams so far - with the reliefs still to be cut.

If that color photo turns up, please post it.

A Dedicated Convert to:

DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »

Pete,
        A piece of good fortune. I have found the colour photo of the Ganagobie and have a file of 1.7 Mb that I can send. Please PM me and I will send.
Ricky
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 04:33:23 AM »

Hi Pit, not sure if this is of help, but its colour footage from the 1950s of a Canadian version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwlstTsPnHA

Look forward to seeing the Ganagobie and meeting you next weekend  Smiley

Jon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: