Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Das Splat Jr. build  (Read 288 times)
bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

I've dug out an old unfinished fuselage of a Das Splat Jr. that I am going to complete to relearn and hone my RC flying skills.  I even located the original plans - slightly yellowed after 20+ years - but in good shape.

I'm hoping to keep the build fast and simple so I can get the plane in the air soon and with limited emotional attachment to the construction  Smiley

Question for everyone:  motor and battery size??  the original was for a .049 and I'm going to go electric.  I have a Park flyer 180 motor and 300 mah 2S lipo I can use, but it might be too small.  I would appreciate any advice.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Das Splat Jr. build
Das Splat Jr. build
Das Splat Jr. build
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:51:08 PM »

I'd say the 180 is way too small.

I think most would put the Cox .049 at about 100 plus watt of power. A good one like the TD might be just a bit more.  

I'd look for a "Speed 400" to 450 motors (9 amp to 12 amp) on a 3 cells 910 mAh to 1300 mAh battery. As she has ailerons go for the upper end of the power spectrum. And as this is a Reese design I'd add a bit more power.

But to size an electric it is very helpful to know the AUW and wing area, this pretty much the same with glow

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 02:44:36 AM »

That should be a neat plane.   I tried to do the same, but instead of flying I go on to build the next model.  I did get a foamy in the air, flew it three times.
My goal is to start flying some of my completed scratch built's this fall.  Good luck!
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »

I'm glad I kept all the old scrap wood from my RC days 20+ years ago.  I am often able to use what I have vs. having to buy wood.  I have 4 large kit boxes full of FUN!!

As of EOD yesterday, I have the first wing almost completed.  I also hit my local hobby store and bought a Park 450 brushless outrunner for my first motor, an assortment of props,  three new servos for the standard Spectrum receiver and new 25amp ESC - plus and bunch of other items. 

Quick question:  what's the difference between Monokote and Ultracote?  Is one lighter?  I picked up two rolls of Ultracote just based on color.
Re: Das Splat Jr. build
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »

Huge! Monokote is a high heat film. It shrinks a lot less than UltraCoat (Oracover), making it more difficult to apply wrinkle free. But it is a lot mote rigid when shrunk. Monokote produces a lot more trapped bubbles when applied over balsa sheet and itself. Unless you are covering a 10cc pattern plane I'd stay with some of the light weight Oracover (UltraCoat). There are three major iron on covering firms that I'm aware of Top Flight (Monokote), Solar Film (Tex, Nelson, SoLight) and Oracover (UltraCoat).

For our size ships I like R.A. microlite. It has the thermal stability of the better films and lighter in weight than Solite.

http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=31

bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

Progress is very slow.  Lot's of little details to figure out and projects around the house have added up to not much noticeable work.

I did get the elevator cut and hinge slots cut as well.  I got the motor mounted and the hatch made.

I'm playing with placement of the servos and battery to see if I can not add any additional weight to achieve balance.  I'm contemplating mounting the elevator/rudder servos on the rear fuselage.  This seems to be a popular technique these days.  The connector is long enough to put the receiver in the main compartment with the battery and then I'll put the ESC in the front compartment.

I enjoyed the Eclipse this morning.  Very cool.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »

A quick shot of my servo mounts in the rear fuselage.  Reinforced with 1/64th ply on the exterior and interior and a shot of the wing hold down dowels installed.

And one shot from work today. We are shooting a TV commercial in my Post Production facilities main conference room.  Beautiful Arri Alexa camera, under slung on a speed rail riding a full fisher dolly.  Huge crew (40+), trucks and enough food to feed a small army!!  And we are just shooting hands working a green screened iPad (professional 'hand' talent flown up from LA).  The person in the shot is Todd M., our Director of Photography for this shoot.
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »

All done  Smiley  Building time is over and now it is crashing time  Grin  yes, I have very low confidence in my flying ability.  Oh well.

Here are some shot of the final plane.  I tried two different servo connectors.  I think I like the simple, clean metal the best, but I'm not changing out the other.  I have continually told myself not to over build this plane so I feel fine flying it straight into the ground  Cheesy
bgrove
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »

This was my first ultracote/monokote job in a long time.  My heat gun still does the job from the 1970s!!!

Also, I'm cleaning up for my next build (I don't know what yet) and I had to laugh at myself for my stock of glues!!!  I obviously don't like to run out  Smiley
Konrad
Platinum Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »

All done  Smiley  Building time is over and now it is crashing time  Grin  yes, I have very low confidence in my flying ability.  Oh well.
Do spend some time on a simulator. Even going to the local hobby shop and spending 15 minutes  relearning about control reversal with direction of flight, will buy huge benefits.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: