Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 07:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: KK Fairy Gannet  (Read 664 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 22

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

Does anyone known please how this one performs please - have been asked - would be built from plan/and timber to choice by the way.

Many thanks.
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »

Hi David,

Andy Sephton is building a 150% one over on the aeromodeller's forum...

https://www.aeromodellers.co.uk/forum/free-flight-models/32600-150-kk-fairey-gannet-for-ff-rubber-power

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »

I have an original kit, but was/am really shocked about the wood!  There are two sheets - which are essentially the same parts - but of visibly different thickness AND weight Shocked!  One sheet is 1.6mm (1/16th") and the other is 2mm -weights are 4.33 and 7.34 grams, respectively and very rough!  Strip wood is so-so.  Printing one the "light sheet is acceptable but much too wide on the other...

When I get around to building it, the parts sheets will be scanned into my CAD program and "corrected" for use with my own wood.

Really poor QC on this kit.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

I always thought the Gannet was pig-ugly! Second only to the Skyraider. They both have lots going for them as flying models, though. KK kits were usually supplied with sheet iron masquerading as balsa, so no surprises there.

Good luck,

Dan.
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »

I have an original kit, but was/am really shocked about the wood!......

Really poor QC on this kit.

When all said and done these were pocket money kits back in the day, stacked high and sold cheap to small boys that knew no better, and were generally happy with something that looked a bit like the subject, made small hops or powered glide. The the rub is of course is that the basic designs are very sound -as myself and so many others have proved.  Roughly speaking you'd be paying £3.50 for this kit in modern times equivalent to the the original 1960's price...

The QC didn't really exist, aside from making sure that the kit contents were all there.  And to be fair I have only had one duff one in that respect, this was a sealed Veron FW190, that had the wood for the KK FW190 in it!

The wood quality went along with the paint stirrer prop, heavy wheels and super strength rubber band that smashed through all of the formers as it tore it's way through form the peg position if you would it more that 100 times (with your finger of course)

I could sort of understand your disappointment if you bought a "modern" kit at that standard, but what you got was what they actually were, 3/6 worth...it is more of a shock to open one with light wood!

Mind you Guillows still make a living from it... Grin

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »

I always thought the Gannet was pig-ugly! Second only to the Skyraider. They both have lots going for them as flying models, though. KK kits were usually supplied with sheet iron masquerading as balsa, so no surprises there.

Good luck,

Dan.

I don't think Veron was any better - When I was 12 I got a Veron Cardinal kit for my birthday - I actually snapped a plastic Swann Morton handle attempting to cut the 1/8 nose former out!
Greg Langelius
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 02:19:48 PM »

From the HP Plans Gallery:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=2074&mode=search

...and...

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=1255&mode=search

Enlarge the Pres Bruning Peanut 203% to produce 1/2" or 1/24th scale plans.

Greg

New knowledge is found by re-examining old assumptions.
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »

I built one back in the 1970s modified for the then brand new Telco CO2 motor. Once sorted it was a reliable performer, no record breaker but quit consistent. I still have that Telco motor and a Gannet kit in the stash.............

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Snaky Stringer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »

I think I have three Gannet kits in my stash and a partly built one. I have a sealed original from a good few years ago with the original price of 6.60 on it. I'm thinking of listing it on ebay. I never actually got far enough to see if it would fly but I see no reason why not. It must be based on a prototype because it doesn't look much like any of the Gannets I've seen in photos or indeed the one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton.

With contra props it would be a bit of a challenge.  Smiley
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »

I think I have three Gannet kits in my stash and a partly built one. I have a sealed original from a good few years ago with the original price of 6.60 on it. I'm thinking of listing it on ebay. I never actually got far enough to see if it would fly but I see no reason why not. It must be based on a prototype because it doesn't look much like any of the Gannets I've seen in photos or indeed the one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton.

With contra props it would be a bit of a challenge.  Smiley
Might work with the small K. Sterner unit - if he's still making them.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »

Thank you for that link Andrew - will watch closely!!  

I built a Gannet way back, in my early teens I think and typically the wood was hard and unforgiving.  Either resisted all attempts to cut it (with the standard broken safety razor) or sudden;y a soft bit and another slice of finger among the dust and shavings! It sort of flew - depending on how hard you chucked it but it was momentum keeping fit in the air - nothing else.  But the deep fuselage meant plenty to grip for a hard heave.

Not a case of great minds but I had already thought that an enlarged version would be best but maybe 125% as it might fit indoors?.  The construction of the tail parts is pretty butch and I would be tempted with laminated outlines etc. but penalties for kit scale I am pretty sure. And I am not convinced there is any material advantage in using the laminated stuff at that size.

A ten inch prop. then at 30ins span??.  And a beefy motor too - 20gms? Or electric - be nicer.

These kits off course were the only ones in Town so no choice really and because we had seen noting else we assumed they were the tops!  I am trying to remember how much I paid for mine - certainly not six pounds because apathy from being way out of my price range by the time that era arrived I knew better and was building from plans!  Pretty sure it would not have been more than a couple of bob!
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »

In the days when manufacturers dictated the selling price...

looks like more complicated ones were also 4 bob and a penny!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KK Fairy Gannet

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »

Not a case of great minds but I had already thought that an enlarged version would be best but maybe 125% as it might fit indoors?.  The construction of the tail parts is pretty butch and I would be tempted with laminated outlines etc. but penalties for kit scale I am pretty sure.

If you enlarge it by 125% then any penalty you get for laminating the tail will be insignificant by comparison!   Cheesy

(Having said that, a lot of original KK kits are available as kits at 150% so you might be fine if you went to 150%, or if built to any size for OUTDOOR kit scale as I believe is Andy S's.)
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »

I could have sworn that indoor kit scale allowed enlargements, but of course you're right, I've just checked the rule book and re-scaling isn't in the list of approved mods for the indoor class- only for the outdoor class.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »

Yes, thank you Pete - I would plan only to use it for kit scale out doors where it is acceptable at 125% - indoors would just be "fun".  But ideas are one thing; putting them into fruition something else!  I think I might try two models on the go at the same time - hitherto always felt this not a good idea.  But two will enable me to flit from one to t'other and have variation?  I don't know - I believe some folk have several on the go sometimes.  Somehow I need to recall the discipline and commitment I had before retirement.

Scorpio
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »

I built this one a couple of years ago - initially had a very old KK original kit, then supplemented with a short kit from Brankits (this was before I figured out the old photocopy and rubber cement trick).  The KK wood was indeed hard, but useful in some areas (nose formers, a jig spar that sets the anhedral and locates the main u/c).  I found the Brankit wood to be excellent and the kit went together with no real dramas.  Weight without rubber is 22gms - I fly it outdoors on 2 or 3 loops of 3/32. I'm still playing with the balsa prop and free-wheel arrangement, but it soon settled into a stable left-left pattern, nice and slow while gaining plenty of height.  This might be an issue indoors!

I made no attempt at a scale prop representation - magnets retain the nose block, which houses a KP adjustable button.  If I built another one I'd look harder for the correct shade of mid grey tissue for the upper surfaces, but that's about it.  I knew it would be a good flyer as my father still tells stories of one he built and flew while on national service c.1953 - this project was really about proving I could do it too!

You know of course that this model represents the prototype.  The third cockpit and finlets were added for production aircraft.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: KK Fairy Gannet
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »

Thanks - quite encouraging.  In fact all the posts have been helpful one way or the other and I am now motivated to have a go at one myself.  So many thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: