Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 05:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D printed jigs, fixtures, etc.  (Read 944 times)
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »

It was suggested that a topic related to 3D printing should be started to collect information in one place.  This isn't a thread to discuss 3D printing as many other websites dedicated to this topic already exist.  My goal is to create a thread with links to indoor specific 3D printed parts.  I've already posted two indoor related projects on Thingiverse, and I'm working on two more.

jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »

3D printed torque meter
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441787

This design is largely based on the FliteTork meter by Bill Gowen.  It's still marked as work in progress on Thingiverse because I plan to post a second version that uses PTFE tubing instead of ball bearings.  I've also created a version with a magnetic lid that I'll post soon.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »

3D printed brake for Wilder Winder
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2432694

This is a simple brake that allows turns to be added while the brake is engaged.  I find this useful when I'm trying to add those last few turns.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »

Jake,

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been a bit of a slacker the past several weeks on my meter and have not gotten past the buying the scales part. Too much golfing these past few weeks and RC flying. When Wayne Johnson was making wire torsion torque meters he was using bearings and I found on lighter motors the break away friction was enough to cause repeatability issues. Have you noticed any such issues on the bearing version you made?

Don S
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »

I don't have enough experience with it to say for sure, but it's better than the meter I was using that has no bearings or bushings.  At this point I've only done a handful of test winds and it seems to work well.  I'm also building a second torque meter that uses Teflon tube bushings instead of the bearings, and I'll do a comparison once it's done.  I'll keep whichever one I prefer and donate the other one as a prize at Kibbie next year.  I've been meaning to publish the file for the Teflon version, but I got busy with other projects.  I'll see if I can get that file up tonight on Thingiverse. 

I'll also be publishing 2 more projects after Lakehurst.  One is a model stand, and the other is a set of prop blocks in different pitches.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »

I finally got all the new files up on Thingiverse for the torque meter.  I included a version that uses 1/8" x 1/4" Teflon tubing instead of the bearings.  I also added versions that use 1mm x 3mm neodymium magnets to hold the top on.  I'm using these magnets on mine, and I prefer the ease of access to the load cell and batteries.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:40:17 PM »

F1D Model Stand

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2494757

This allows placing and removing the model from the stand with one hand.  This is sometimes beneficial, and it's the reason I like this design so much.  I believe I found the original in a photo or sketch from Cezar Banks.  I've been using a handmade aluminum version of this same stand for several years, and I will probably never switch to anything else.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »

Jake,

I was going to post some build photos of my torque meter build in case others want to make one. Not sure if I should post it here or make a new thread for the build that way this thread can be more for links to various files etc.

Don
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Maybe you can start another thread, and post a link to that thread here.  That makes it easy to find everything in one place, but doesn't clutter up this thread.

I'm also getting ready to publish Revision 'C' of the torque meter.  I made some changes that I think will reduce the friction.  I finished assembling a prototype last night, and I plan to do a bunch of test winds this week to verify if it's better.  The original works fairly well, but I did notice enough friction to affect readings by as much as .03oz/in.
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

I have finally got my 3d printer up and running.....mostly printing improvements for the 3D printer.  I am going to start to do some tools and fittings but I do outdoor freeflight so I am not sure everything I do would pertain to indoor.  Should I start another thread for out door?  Some of the tools I am going to make would work for either.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Topic starter
1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »

If you design anything that could be useful for indoor, go ahead and post it here.  If it's something very specific to outdoor, I'm not sure the people that might use it would see it in this forum.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

Here is my torque meter build thread.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: