Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 24, 2019, 12:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 75722 times)
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »

Grin  achtung mein pictures, ya!

jim Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »

Well it was yesterday rather than today... but what I did was maiden my Middle Phase slope soarer which I've just finishing building from the Chris Foss kit with aileron wings.

A bit of a change from stick and tissue, and took considerably longer than I expected, but I was on a learning curve doing lots of things for the first time - foam-cored wings, 1/4" balsa, iron-on film, aeroply and the suchlike.

The colour-scheme is a bit shocking, but it jolly well works!  And the maiden session of three flights was a complete thrill!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:59:53 PM by Jack Plane » Logged
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »

Chris Foss gliders look so good in the air .... envious of your slope soaring adventure.  Smiley
Something that I have done for far too long now.

Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2018, 06:43:19 AM »

Got the tip angles set on the Banana Fritter wing. A little sanding and it'll be ready to cover.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »

Chris Foss gliders look so good in the air .... envious of your slope soaring adventure.  Smiley
Something that I have done for far too long now.

I agree on all counts.  Where was that - on the Ridgeway?  Very nice pictures Jon. Norfolk does not really have any hills to get in the way of rather scenery so a bit limited locally - some chaps fly off the cliffs as do the microlite people.   I have a Sonata somewhere - may get it up and running - they're good on a slope and do not need a load of puff.  At the moment I am a bit immersed in the little FF scale stuff.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2018, 11:53:21 AM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
...maiden my Middle Phase slope soarer which I've just finishing building from the Chris Foss kit with aileron wings.
A very nice aeroplane indeed, but really; is that any sort of hat for a gentleman to wear whilst flying?  Tsk, tsk. Wink

In other news.  Lurker Industries have received a series of stiffly worded memoranda from both the Ministry of Supply and The Board of Trade expressing their joint displeasure at the low rates of production currently being achieved. The Board of Directors have replied most forcefully that unless the shop floor staff and skilled tradesmen are permitted to continue taking tea breaks at 11 o'clock in the morning and again at quarter past 3 o'clock in the afternoon all production would cease entirely.  Which is why it has taken a good seven days to produce a single wing.  Of course if the drawing office hadn't mucked up the rib plans it would have taken only 5 days.  Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »

My post should have read 'something that I have not done for far too long' ... but I think you are still with me David?
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »

David,
Never got around to flying there but I did used to see slope soaring off Corton beach ... into Suffolk a bit so I suppose you wouldn't be allowed over the border?  Wink
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »

Russ - I do find slope soaring to be an almost meditative thing to do, being in the natural elements of landscape and wind, a bit like sailing.  The Middle Phase is my first 'proper' RC build and I love the weight and penetration of it - versus the lightweight ARTF foamie I first learnt on, useful at the time but horrid to hold and behold.

David - you're spot on, it is Uffington White Horse Hill on the Ridgeway.  The bowl faces NW and on Saturday the wind was in exactly the right place, 16mph gusting up to about 23.  Video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iQsZY7SIqZyVvDus2

Lurk - I'm afraid I was indeed wearing my 'players' headgear... the 'gentlemen' version would have been airborne and over the Downs into Berkshire before I'd even switched on the transmittter!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »

.... Of course if the drawing office hadn't mucked up the rib plans it would have taken only 5 days.  Smiley

Oh dear.  Remind me, are you building from plans or a laser-cut kit?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 172

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »

That was a nice flight Jack. What a nice scenic slope - no trees, no rocks,boulders etc - only the occasional walking obstacle Smiley
Variety is the spice of life - enjoy all forms of flight.

Bad luck the design department have led the Board of Directors of Lurker industries into dispute with the Ministry of Supply and Board of Trade. What has the Minister of Finance said about all this?

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2018, 02:08:19 AM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
Oh dear.  Remind me, are you building from plans or a laser-cut kit?
Ah.  It's a "scrit" build.  Officially it's supposed to be a kit (die crushed ribs & some 1/8" router cut sides & formers) but it's turned into a scratch build.  The die-cut ribs weren't usable, some of the supplied sheet was made of corrugated tin and quite a few lengths of the supplied strip wood have been replaced with my own strip; especially for the stab. & fin.  I think the part count of kit bits is now well under 10.  

FWIW the replacement rib profiles are from my noddy SVG aerofoil plotting util *waves hand in general direction of plan gallery* and more or less NACA 4412 but instead of taking the spar slot positions from the plan for the first set I took them from the kit die-cut sheets.  Twit eh?  Smiley  I wasn't too upset as some of the slots I'd cut in the 1st set were not as square as they should have been so it gave me a good reason to redo them.

That all sounds like a tale of woe, but it's been fun rescuing (trying to rescue - hasn't flown yet) what is a rather nicely designed model.

Quote from: OZPAF
What has the Minister of Finance said about all this?
Fortunately it's a private venture (PV) project.  So the Treasury doesn't get a look in. Smiley
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2018, 09:39:27 AM »

Lurk, why didn't you just move the bottom spar to line up with the slots you had cut?
Ron
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »

Quote from: cvasecuk
Lurk, why didn't you just move the bottom spar to line up with the slots you had cut?
Ron
Ahhh, that would have been a bodge too far even for me and even when the wing is covered I would know it was bodged and it would have niggled and niggled at me. Smiley  

There were a couple of other reasons.  A good number of the other slots weren't cut acceptably square/tight enough which would have lead to weak joints - see example in the attachment - and I wanted to use the kit supplied root and tip rib. These are the only usable ribs in the kit.  They're router cut from 1/8" and slotted to match the plan. Moving the spar would have given an awful buckle at each end of the wing.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 131

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »

Lurk, I have kept worse Roll Eyes Embarrassed

The Threadkiller!
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

I'll second what Crabby said...

A possible, satisfying solution: assemble all the parts, then draw the corresponding "as built" plan!  Voila, everything matches.... Roll Eyes

Works especially well if I end up with a few leftover parts.

Just joking around here Lurk. I really do admire your craftsmanship.

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2018, 06:30:06 AM »

Yes, also but it is odd as you say Lurk that hidden errors niggle and niggle.  I have often left them only to go back later and when it is more difficult to remedy.  Swear a weird buck.  I like you humour by the way - typically English.  Whereabouts in this little Isle are you - I sense not down south?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »

Grin repaired my p40Q and p37  both had minor structural damage. more repairs are on the way. gotta get Jonah's and Kier's air force ready for the park.

jim Grin
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: April 08, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

Got the Banana Fritter covered other than the nose block. Still need to glue on some alignment bits for the wing and stab. Noseblock is glued up and ready to shape. My attempt at a stylish nose decoration flopped, but it's not so bad that I'll redo do it. You can't see it in flight anyway. Tongue
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: April 08, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »

Grin  continued organizing Jonah/Kier's aie forces  I now have around 60 planes to fly for the boys in the park. 

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
PS they're on their way over so they'll get a quick peek at what is waiting for them.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: April 08, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »

Grin took Jonah downstairs to the museum/flight center.  The kid's eyes lit up as he surveyed his air-force.  he has some definite preferences in mind

JIM Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »

Finished off the main build this evening so probably about a week to ten days to completion.  Couple of long(ish) shots so you can't see the flaws. Smiley

Bare bones weights are :
Stab & Fin3.97g
Fuselage23.24g
Wing19.68g
46.89g

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: April 11, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »

Grin  started to rebuild my P40Q for the tenth time  also balanced the HE 100 D

JIM Grin
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »

Finished up the woodwork on an Me-262 jetcat.  Plan is to print tissue for covering.
Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »

Finished the wing structure for my VMC Cessna 140.  Ready now for light sanding/shaping.  Very satisfying build; not breaking any speed records, but after all it is being done during leisure time!  Thanks Andrew D for designing this neat-o model!

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 54   Go Up
Print
Jump to: