Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 23, 2018, 08:03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 33790 times)
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »

Quite lucky, really, and could have been a lot worse.

Sudden section changes are always bad.  Hope you get the little bits the right way up.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »

I'll build a new back end and graft it on. In fact that's how Peter Rake designs them
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:34 PM »

Printed off the Comet Curtis P-40C (18” WS)
The PDF is immaculately re-draw by Paul Bradley and came up as suggestion on my weekly email up date from Aerofred

Printed 2 different sizes. One 16” WS and one 21” WS.

Now to make a decision??.... 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
knapster
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2018, 02:14:25 PM »

I finally repaired a 20-year-old Guillows Fairchild.  In the same vein as above, one side had been crushed when it was nearly finished.  But it was so light I saved it....for 20 years and a cross-country move.  Turns out when your kitty climbs up onto the boom-box stereo to avoid the fleas plaguing the poor beast, the whole stack can become unstable.  And then it (and probably kitty) fall precisely down on top of the model in work.  I finally gave it a better inspection and found that, contrary to my belief, the fuselage structure wasn't completely compromised.  So I removed and repaired the smashed wing and repaired a few joints in the top of the fuselage.  Hope to re-cover the wing later today.  Then on to removing old warps, building a cowl/noseplug and probably wheels.  It won't be pretty, but if it flies as well as I think it might, then I'll build another.
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »

...Anyway, here it is. Quite lucky, really, and could have been a lot worse. I was impressively restrained.

Ahhh, that'll buff out. Smiley
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »

Still got my phase 6 from the 80s

Funny .... I got the Phase 6 out for a look yesterday .... I decided the fuselage had seen better days and scrapped it after all this time!
(having a purge.)

...Anyway, here it is. Quite lucky, really, and could have been a lot worse. I was impressively restrained.
Bill,
I've had a couple of models that just seem fated .... repaired them just for something else to happen.
The worst was my Sig Cabinaire .... opened a top cupboard door only to have something javelin out and stick right in the middle of my newly finished model  Sad

Had a surprise this evening .... I thought my old GM120 had tidied itself up ... then realised it was a completely unused one I don't remember buying!
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:48 PM »

Had a surprise this evening .... I thought my old GM120 had tidied itself up ... then realised it was a completely unused one I don't remember buying!

Gosh I feel suddenly better... now that I know I'm not alone!   Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:25 AM »

Grin re p40  21 inches i did it at 27 and it works.

jim Grin
modler
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

FAC member

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »

I just got back from a 4300 mile trip to the King Orange International in Florida, then to a memorial service in Texas. At the  KOI I took 2nd in Embryo Endurance, Jet Catapult, and P-30, and 1st in the P-30 mass launch!

My Partner and I also Square danced in two states to add to her ambition of dancing in all 50. Life is good!!!  Roll Eyes

Old model building joke: "Build two identical sides!!!"
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 133

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2018, 11:13:52 PM »

Not bad, good on you.

John
abyssdncr
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:48 PM »

Not sure if this counts as "doing" anything, but... Last week I found where Office Depot will custom print pdfs on demand.  At first, I was only going print the Martinside Buzzard and Spad XIII, but that was 2 $5 prints and $10 shipping.  Since it was free shipping on orders over $25, I did some more shopping.  Once I got there, I saw that orders over $30 got 30% off...  Then, I figured since I was at it, I might as well load up on peanut plans. 

The big brown truck arrived today! 
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »

Getting there with the Comet Stinson 105 landing gear 0.65grams and spinning nicely on their bamboo axle and mounting dowels.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »

Not sure if this counts as "doing" anything, but... Last week I found where Office Depot will custom print pdfs on demand.  At first, I was only going print the Martinside Buzzard and Spad XIII, but that was 2 $5 prints and $10 shipping.  Since it was free shipping on orders over $25, I did some more shopping.  Once I got there, I saw that orders over $30 got 30% off...  Then, I figured since I was at it, I might as well load up on peanut plans. 

The big brown truck arrived today! 

That is interesting because our local copy shop (a mile or so away) and quite small takes pdf.s by email and will print them off for collection - A0 size is about £4.00 and I think a Peanut plan which will fit on A3 paper is no more than a pound.  So it is nice to see that lour local shop is not loading the prices - yes OK I know you are in the US but I think I know what I mean?   

This is  not good news in a way because temptation to get lots of plans copied on the pretext I will build them is pretty irresistible.  Because building even half is unlikely!  But then having software like Splitprint etc. and the ability to print them at home easily if you want is not good either.

That is a nice collection of "paper" by the way.
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2018, 05:07:47 AM »

Progressing nicely with Comet Red Racer.  Very large landing gear on this little thing and the a balsa prop (neither made yet) will probably add another 2or so grams. In theory, you could say this plan was scaled to suite the nail gun gas canister supporting the bones in photo 1. I used it form the cowl. Wingspan 12.5”
This will be a another good subject to see how my ezedope/surgical spirit mix work for finishing and controlling shrinkage.
Dieter
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »

I rolled a 1/16" tube for a Satellite 320 fuselage,,,will laminate a 1/32 tube over it. ..then cover with polyspan. Worked real well on my 450.
Denny
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »

We had our monthly indoor contest today and it worked out well for me. My Hangar Rat did 2:55, 3:01, and 3:23. It’s a keeper, and a very well behaved Rat Pilot helps a lot.
My Bede 4 Peanut shook off some repairs I just did, and did :38, :51, and :51. Personal bests for me in flying a Peanut Indoors. I need to dial in the motor size/length until I can easily break a minute. Starting to figure out the rubber winding thingy!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2018, 03:58:18 AM »

Well done Dohrmc. What mods if any did you make to your HR. They are good times.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:39 AM »

Grin  while working on my Italian job i'm also re skinning a planer i inherited called the chieftain. looks like a good flyer. its a cabin type model

jim Grin
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 230

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

I don't usually come on this thread because most days I don't do anything and if I did I would have forgotten before I have time to write it down. However on this occasion my arthritic fingers jogged my memory about the little baskets that Bernard on his Hummingbird thread used to pick up his magnets. I thought I could do something like that so I got some of my favourite material (old cerial boxes) and my fovourite tool (sharp kitchen scissors) and got to work. After about twenty minutes I took the photograph below. The first thing I made is on the right. I cut a strip of card and creased and bent it to a right angle, cyanoed a stiffener across the corner and put a magnet underneath. Bingo! first time. I could pick up the magnet by just lifting the card, put it down on top of, of beside things and the magnetic pull was not noticeably reduced. The next item along is virtually the same but the corner stiffening is changed to better hold the magnet. The third one along is just a bit of 'doodle' thinking.  I just put a magnet each side of the bottom of a vertical strip. That can move two magnets at once (no great benefit in that ) and holds the strip vertical(no benefit in that either because it is easily pushed over ) but it lead me to try a horizontal strip with four magnets on the bottom which actually does give a firm vertical edge at each end. This is not intended as a solution to anything, just a thought provoker.
John
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »

Interesting and quick source of jigs John. I have followed your advice of some time back and bought a cheap metal notice board and some small magnets. I haven't tried a build  on it yet.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »

For what it is worth I am committed to magnets as they have so many uses.  Wonder how I did without them.  They are a form of universal clamp and the wider your imagination the more you will find a use for them. 
DWCollins
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »

Today the P-51H got finished, all blue foam and 1/24 scale "about 19" Short flights today before the wind picked up were promising.
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2018, 04:05:41 PM »

I did a 0.6 g spring activated opening for my hlg 's battery opening.  It has  14 individual parts...
Jens.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2018, 01:13:47 AM »

I'd like to see a picture of that Jens! Sounds interesting.

Very nice P51H DWC.

John
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

I did a 0.6 g spring activated opening for my hlg 's battery opening.  It has  14 individual parts...
Jens.

Is that just the opening mechanism or the whole hatch?
Yes a picture would be great - of the whole HLG as well as the opening detail.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: