Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2018, 01:10:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 41769 times)
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »

I'm getting myself organized after a nice time at the FabFeb contests at Lost Hills, CA.  The current task is to get all of my e36/F1S battery packs into storage mode. Then I will place an order for some Randolph dope so I can finish covering my new E36/F1S. Mylar is applied, all it needs is the tissue Smiley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2018, 05:01:03 AM »

I've been working on a larger size of spoked wheels ... the rim and hub construction is giving me problems.
Diameter is about 48mm and weight is 3g each.
My jigging method works well at this size though.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2018, 06:09:35 AM »

Cor, smashin'.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 143

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »

What are you using for your tyres? They look very impressive.

John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »

Grin i am rebuilding my BEAVER as a box fuselage  so the weight will be about 1/2 the original.

jim Grin Grin
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »

Something simple to keep me busy whilst I'm waiting for good weather for trimming K5083.  Back to my aeromodelling roots with another slab sided glider.
 West Wings Swallow

First wood cut today, but last weekend was given over to sorting out templates for the ribs 'cos the die cutcrushed sheets are, basically, unusable. Really wish they'd gone for print-wood for them, at least that way the wood wouldn't have been wasted.

It's a shame that West Wings are no longer trading because this is a lovely simple design and promises to be a straight-forward build, but... the kit did come with some traditional KeilKraft Oak of late and unlamented memory.  Check out the difference between the weights of the port & starboard fuselage front sections!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »

Grin  I finished the rebuild of the Guillows beaver. weight is 50 grams . flight tests tonite.  only took from Thurs nite to Sunday am.  most of time was waiting for glue to harden.

JIM Grin
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2018, 03:52:43 PM »

Not really sure where to post this so here will do!  Over the weekend I was at the beach (having taken my VMC Triplane with me as homework).  I was amazed to see a young guy there with a surfboard which had a long high aspect ratio keel with what appeared to be a modern HLG glued to the bottom.  Turns out it was a foiling surfboard.  The main foil has a boom fuselage and tailplane to aid pitch stability.    Down here in NZ we know a thing or 2 about foiling yachts but I have to admit that this was new to me.  Worth googling foiling surfboard for a look if you haven't heard of this before.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

Grin went flying last nite so things sucked. my beaver's wing broke off cause of crappy glue joints, the spitfire had its problems but the guillows fokker glider was successfully convered to power and the p37 flew nice with minor ballast adjustments. i have to go thru my planes to see what flies and what doesn't

jim Grin

ps  beaver it under repair and i am working on finishing an old stuka. the wood is lite and briitle, snaps easy.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:22 PM »

Grin i am rebuilding my BEAVER as a box fuselage  so the weight will be about 1/2 the original.

jim Grin Grin

Maybe, maybe not. I did the prototypes of both the Porter and Beaver as box fuselage models, intending 700 series not 300 series, and if you want to keep the fuselage corners reasonably scale looking you will still have formers on the top and bottom of the box and the weight saving may not be at much as you think.  It all depends on balsa density and how sparingly you use glue.  Of course you could just ignore the fuselage corners and may it a literal box like Hacker and Dumas did. Built carefully, with the current production wood, the Beaver should weigh about 44-47 grams built out-of-the-box and should fly quite well with the 7" prop supplied. If you do build a box fuselage version use the large stabilizer.  Built with the scale stabilizer it is a bit tricky to trim, and if you have too much dihedral, a degree more than the flying dihedral shown on the kit plans, it will have a noticeable Dutch roll.

I will be interested to see how you do with it.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2018, 04:14:50 AM »

Just over an hour ago I trotted off down to the local park for some final trim check flights on 2 new 12"WS CLG's. late in the day - overcast with a gentle breeze. It should be safe with over 200m+ downwind. First flight - I launched a tad too steep and the transition was a bit late.
Second flight - better angle, good transition -Ahh - it's not coming down. All the way across the park and I finally woke up and ran after it but was still not close enough when it finally disappeared into one of the trees. After a 40 min search - still couldn't find which tree! Rats! It's ok if they go out of sight vertically - not when you think you know where it is and can't even see it Sad
Off into the missing glider dimension or maybe it was grabbed by a passing magpie! Smiley
This is the second one in 3 Months! I need to come up with a DT for a 8gm 12"Ws CLG.
John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »

Grin  kittyf i built it as a true box using 3/32 wood. my weigt is 50 grams so i save nothing.  not only that the wood did not have much srtrength so handling damage has driven me to tears. win some, lose some.

i also worked on finishing the late jimmy c's stucka. built the tail feathers so we'll see how that goes hopefully the wood will take handling. i did get breaks and joint separations just sanding it.  i don't know how old the model is,.

jim Roll Eyes
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »

Wait.
You mean you didn't want it to land in the trees? Grin
Maybe a light dusting of reflective paint. Cool
Go back at dusk with a flashlight. Grin
And a pole.

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »

I'm not sure if it counts as "airplane-wise" but I learned something new about the storage of modelling materials and pain. Specifically, that it's a bad idea to keep your leftover offcuts of thin piano wire standing in the same jar as you keep your small paint brushes. Nothing like a bit of unexpected self-acupuncture to focus the mind; almost as effective as Dan's classic "Xacto knife rolling off bench straight down into foot" scenario.

(I also learned that the yellow Tamiya masking tape stems blood flow from a wound just as well as Elastoplast.)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: March 14, 2018, 01:28:42 AM »

Pete didn't you have any CA handy? An effective way of closing the wound - but accompanied with a sharp short sting! Smiley
How do your models get on with the tress in your yard Tony? Do you spray your models with "tree repulsive liquid"?
The favourite theory outside paranormal explanations is that a passing Magpie helped himself to it.

John
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:32 AM »

I've lost more in the corn field truth told...
Good to hear you're getting some flying in. Smiley
Aim for the trees next time. Grin
TR

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 232

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »

I bought a kit for a model aeroplane. The first one since before 6 May 1950. [Technically I suppose I bought a Guillows kit about two years ago when everyone was saying how much better they were.  I opened the box, weighed the sheet wood, put it all back in the box and gave it to a friend.]
John
TheLurker
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »

Quote from: OZPAF
Pete didn't you have any CA handy? An effective way of closing the wound...
Drifting OT...  I may be misremembering but I have a (very) vague memory that it was either developed for that (wound closure) and / or first used in the Vietnam war as a battlefield/front-line wound closure treatment.  However I'm too old and lazy to to be bothered to check.
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »

I thought it was developed for attaching strain gauges, been doing a bit of that recently...

Andrew

Klunk
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »

CA on  wounds, Vietnam, yes and also packing wounds with sugar, cling film for burns. I was taught this in the Royal Marines nearly 40 years ago and it all came from battle field experiences in Vietnam and I used them all on many occasions. Off topic granted but it brought back some memories!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »

You must be almost as old as me tctele.  Maggots were quite good for cleaning wounds as well while we are on the subject.  But returning to topic that is a nice picture Mike and that frame work makes it look a bit hefty but apparently it is not.  This is another design that at one time would have sent every one off to build a HWYM! 

So for your next trick can I suggest the Armstrong Whitworth FK10?  I can provide you with a four view and a bit of bumph.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:20 AM »

Well using CA for wounds was graphically demonstrated for me while one of the Australian F3B models was being repaired at the 1987 World Champs. Sean Walbank at the time the editor of the White Sheet N/L used more CA on his cuts then on the tail plane he was fixing for us.
A truly great modeller and fellow human being.
Showing my age again.

John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:27:21 AM by OZPAF » Logged
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »

Well I spent the day building a Bagatelle, vintage coupe, fuselage. No rush just sticking bits of 1/8" sq together. Then I remembered as I always do building these vintage models that the time it took I could have put together a kevlar/carbon fuselage and built the tail feathers in the same time! Then of course I've got to cover it etc etc.

Tony
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

After I lost my Banana Fritter #2 back in 2016, I started a replacement, but hit one of my building slumps about half way through. In the past week the desire has come back and it's well on its way to being finished. Today I glued on the sub fins and colored them and the rudder with yellow highlighter. In the past week, I covered the fuselage and stab and got some more done on the wing.
TheLurker
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »

Finished off the fuselage on the current build.  Jogging along nicely with no more than the usual, self-inflicted,  pitfalls.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: