Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2018, 02:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 24345 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »

"AIR CAMPER"  DUMAS KIT #231"   FREE FLIGHT

I worked on my 18" Dumas "AIR CAMPER" today.  I glued up the nose former and stringer that was cracked,  and I cut the old ripped tissue out of the front top of the nose.   I will infill plank these four slots on top of the nose, for a stronger nose.   Also, the nose block was getting too loose, so I started gluing in, and sanding, some small balsa slices to get that really snug fit, that prevents the noseblock from popping out every time it lands.  This little "Gypsy" has been so good to me, and is without a doubt, my very best and most dependable flyer (my record  62 sec  flight).   Many crashes and repairs and she still flies like a Champ.  Now that I know how to braid a rubber motor, I think I will experiment, to try to get a new endurance record.  I am also going to recover the rear half of the fuse with new tissue.  It is chock full of transparent Scotch Tape !!    Undecided    -  from all those crashes !!     Embarrassed   -  and quick field repairs ...   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2018, 07:48:41 AM »

Got the Banana Fritter painted. On to trimming.
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »

"AIR CAMPER"  18 "  DUMAS KIT #231    FREE FLIGHT  RUBBER

Well, I worked some more on the Air Camper this AM. 

PIC #1    8557
This last extra sliver of balsa, for the nose block, has dried over night.

PIC #2     8558
The nose block is removed from the pins and blocks.

PIC #3     8559
Now the extra sliver on the noseblock is sanded even down to the block edge, and now the inside face has been filed with a Jeweller's file, and the Tenon is also shaped, for a snug fit into the cowl Mortise hole.  Way tighter than it was before.

PIC #5     8561
The four new infill  planks, for the top of the nose, have been cut out and sanded, and fit just right into their slot holes, and are ready for double white gluing.

LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »

Grin finishing up the p40Q hopefully in time for flight testing  span is 19 inches.
then should it warm up i shall be pursuing the fur trout (they have fur to keep them warm in the cold weather. as TROUT SEASON OPENS TODAY  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

JIM Grin
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »

Yeah!!! Fresh Fish!!! We have a tourist season here, but we aren't allowed to shoot them.  Grin
ian
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2018, 10:03:24 PM »

"AIR CAMPER" REPAIR  18 "  DUMAS KIT #231   FREE FLIGHT  RUBBER

Well, I got some more work done on the Aircamper, to get her ready for the rest of the season.   PIC #     8573
     The four infill planks on the top of the nose are now glued up and dry, but not sanded down even yet.  I coated the nose block face and "Tenon", and the front former face and "Mortise" hole, with some lightly brushed on, super thin CA glue.  
     Then I decided to strip off all of the fuselage tissue covering.  I really hadn't realized how much Scotch tape was covering almost the whole fuse, or how many uprights and longerons and crossmembers were really broken.  Clear Scotch Tape really helps for immediate field repairs!
PIC #     8562  
     This shows a lot of missing balsa pieces in the fuse, after I cut and sanded the old tissue covering off.   So I started little by little, gluing in a couple of small balsa pieces one at a time, and letting them dry overnight.
PIC #     8571  
     This shows it coming along slowly, with a few pieces glued in so far.  Also note the small piece sitting under the fuse that I had to glue up first also.  This work is hard because I am working in thin air, mostly, to glue on these pieces.
PICS   # 8569   &    # 8570  
     We had a freezing rain storm over night.  View of Jackson Park across the road, from my icicle spike, "stalactite" laden, apartment balcony, top and bottom, horizontal railings.

LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:13:45 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »

Unseasonably cold in the American Mid-West - my mates in Two Rivers Wi. report 10" of snow and a blizzard warning.  Supposed to be spring!
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »

And it is still coming Mike - this is the big one - a monumental ice and snow storm up north - lots of power outages and it is still headed East ... this map shows a further  12" to 24" for your friends in the state of Wisconsin, USA just under Lake Superior - lots of rain and flooding here in Detroit,Michigan/Windsor, Ontario area.
LASTWOODSMAN
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:36:42 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:25 PM »

Er.. that's Mike, not John!  Looks like around the 6" mark for Two Rivers, being about 2 hrs North of Milwaukee on Lake Michigan close to Manitowoc (Where they built the subs in WWII).   
LASTWOODSMAN
Silver Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:25 PM »

Sorry - Mike  Mulholland ZK-AUD  (Seniors moment - please forgive me ...) it is bad all the way across to the Eastern Seaboard.
     Yes Mike -  right you are - I found Two Rivers on the map, and it looks like they are only getting 6 inches of snow (probably on top of the 10" of snow they already have ...).
Richard
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:50:55 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »

Grin  went lying last nite flew the he 100d and it works fine.  the p40Q GOT TESTED AND DITTO.  NOW THIS WEEK I'LL INSTALL THE FIDDLY BIT DETAILS.

FISHING.  its cold here in NB (37 degrees)  4 of the 5 places i fished were totally lifeless ( water temp must be over 50 degrees F ) the last pool actually had trout.  i had 6 hits and they were looking about 8 or 9 inches not too shabby. if i had dropped a worm i'd be eating trout today. yes they still had their fur coats on.

jim
pedwards2932
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2018, 09:08:37 AM »

Beautiful weather in the mountains......flew my Cloudbuster when the winds weren't gusty.
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »

Mike, your Me-262 jetcat from reply #348 looks like fun.  I had not actually been aware of the jetcat class.  Looks like a quick and simple build with the opportunity to add a bit of scale color and detail.
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »

Mike how did your 262 work out?

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

Mike how did your 262 work out?

Didn't get to work on it much over the weekend as I was camping with the Cub Scouts.  Got tissue for the flying surfaces printed and applied last Friday before leaving.  Hope to finish covering it this week.  Forecast is pretty windy so I'm not sure how soon I'll get to put it in the air.

Cheers,

Mike
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: April 17, 2018, 01:54:34 PM »

Lurker Industries' Aero Division is reviewing it's preference for NMF aeroplanes following very strong representations regarding materials costs made by the Chief Accountant to the Head of Production.  In other company news the company's doctor says that the Head of Production's scars will heal, in time, but he'll probably always walk with a limp and the Chief Accountant's bruises will fade fairly quickly but the remedial dental work will be quite involved.

Or....

Placed a bulk order, well 6 sheets, for Ag / Al tissue with VMC.  Failed to get a decent result on first go at the Swallow's wing; have a dekko at the attachments for an object lesson in how not to cover a wing.  Wee bit narked about it, but it is (ha ha) a recoverable situation.  I will get to grips with working with Ag / Al tissue if it bankrupts me, which doubtless it will.
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

Press inquiry to the head communication officer in charge at Lurker Industries' Aero Division.

What the @?!#§&£ you mean with "NMF aeroplanes" ?

Please use a non cryptic wording talking to poor foreigners. Thank you  Wink

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »

We're foreign here too but I think it means No More F..... aeroplanes!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2018, 03:58:41 PM »

What the @?!#§&£ you mean with "NMF aeroplanes" ?
Please use a non cryptic wording talking to poor foreigners. Thank you 

Never mind 'poor foreigners'- I've no idea what he's talking about either, Urs!  Cheesy
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: April 17, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »

All on a NTK basis chaps...  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »

Good. I'll CBU my rock and GBT sleep then.
TheLurker
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: April 17, 2018, 04:25:41 PM »

Lurker Aero Industries Communique 18/4/A-034/q

Clarification.
It has been brought to the attention of the Division's Public Relations Dept. that a recent announcement was insufficiently clear.

NMF - Natural Metal Finish.

We hope this communique rectifies this terminological confusion.

Sorry chaps.   Stray jargon from "Airfix" world. Smiley
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »

Phew! glad about that.  You can see how the antipodean mind works however!! Grin
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 103

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »

Got tissue for the flying surfaces printed and applied last Friday before leaving.  
Cheers, Mike

Mike that tissue looks like you took our your watercolors and had at it. It looks so hand made, great job!

The Threadkiller!
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »

Thanks Crabby!  Remaining parts are covered, Wile E. is strapped in the cockpit, and the garage is full of the sweet smell of nitrate...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: