Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 24, 2018, 05:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 34114 times)
Andrew Darby and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 133

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

Rich did you use small brass ferules on the rigging of your SE5A? 13 yrs old? it's hard to see!

John
Rich Adams
Bronze Member

Kudos: 92

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »

John, I use small ferrules from a local store that sells jewelry making supplies. They are silver plated brass and come in two sizes. I use the smallest size (0.032 ID) for single wires and the next larger (0.047) for the double wires. I pre-flatten the larger ones and spread the wires out as I install and crimp them with either needle nose pliers or the crimping tool they sell. Handy little things since they can be used wherever you need a small bushing for standard music wire sizes.
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »

Thanks Rich - I'll store that away in the memory banks.

John
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: May 16, 2018, 06:13:30 AM »

Well Richard your SE5 is way up the scale - smashing!  Or as we used to say '"absolutely spiffing".  And thanks for your pictures Crabby - thankfully many aeromodellers took good photos and I never tire of looking at them. Bring back such memories.  Didn't we have fun?
Rich Adams
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »

David, thank you. This is one of two models I have built where I went overboard on the details and realism. The other is a Vought F4U-1 Corsair. Both are airplanes I love and so I felt they deserved the full treatment. My next one may be a Camel in honor of my father's passion for the plane and WWI aviation.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:57 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER FLIGHTS May 16 2018

Well, Trapper and I just got back from Jackson Park at  9:15 PM - we were just walking around and laying around, enjoying the last couple of hours of light on this beautiful summer day.   Sure enough, they mowed the grass in the Cricket Wicket in the afternoon after we were done our Speedster flights from   11:00 AM  until   1:00 PM.   Good thing we got our flights in,   Smiley  because I don't know if the plane would have survived the "full song" cartwheel crash into the shorter grass.  Sad  
     That is two evenings in a row now that I have not seen any bats flying around - very puzzling and disturbing ... we did see one "Common Nighthawk" - 23" wingsapn - flitting and fluttering and darting around, and maneuvering acrobatically, with its buoyant and erratic flight, high in the sky eating insects, though.
      Here is the best pics of today's Speedster flights, including the "money shot" (finally), when it flew right over my head as I was panning with the digital camera.  I thought I had missed the pic from the "beep beep" of the camera catching the image, but I did get it.    Cheesy

30 sec video of Nighthawk calls and dive bombing "BOOM" here https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Common+Nighthawk+Wing+Sound&&view=detail&mid=219819EE6A0D256C0472219819EE6A0D256C0472&&FORM=VRDGAR

Full REARWIN SPEEDSTER Flight Report here starting on Reply #23 to Reply #25 here
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=23134.0

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
vintagemike
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:15 AM »

I suppose you had to put the camera down while you measured the 23" wingspan of the Nighthawk! (LOL)
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:17 AM »

I noticed the insect just in front of the Night Hawk. Nice pics.

John
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 110

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2018, 04:01:33 PM »

This is a pic to show confess what a quack airplane surgeon I am. Everyone who reads my posts must know how fond I am of this little MIG 15. It is the younger more buxom sister of the pistachio version I built 10-15 years ago. The younger sister was a pain to deal with but after some profanity and a Lou Gehrig type launch I got her flying in a consistent manner, albeit a screamingly scale mach+5 manner. She lived for about 20 years before she left home. This one is no different, twice the size, and when she is good she is very good when she is bad, she is just f'n awful. Last time out I made a series of adjustments and had her finally acting ladylike, and after a fantastic 2.5 min flight, I got a call to get home. When I inspected her I found the whole front end was about to fall off, held on only by bits of tissue. Here is my scab fix. It's X-rated, but this bird is gonna be able to take what is dished out. I just could not perform euthanasia, after that last flight. My sadly neglected Tripehound looks on while I dabble with my past love affair!   KEEP ON TRUCKIN, LASTWOODSMAN!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:56:57 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: May 18, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »

Well, Crabby - if you can repair your   MIG 15   jet like that, then I should be able to do the same with my 25" WACO "N" Bipe.     You inspired me to  finally do some exploratory surgery    Tongue  with my Scalpel ... (lousy weather for flying for the next few days).   The wings are not broken - just one side of the fuse - infill sheet planking time ... ?  Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Indoorflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: May 18, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »

Uh oh.

Quackery, euthanasia, scalpels, triage, exploratory surgery, etc. seem to be be showing up in a lot of HPA build/rebuild threads lately...and a few alarms went off.

I'm used to setting dihedral with a stack of quarters...

I just went thru my wallet to review my various credentials.

I think "we" (the editorial one) are gonna have to go back and get "board-certified" if "we" plan on staying in this free flightus obscurus specialty.
The good news is, I'm half way there already. (certifiable).

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: May 18, 2018, 11:42:25 PM »

Greetings IndoorFlyer !!   Cool     I assume you have already smashed one up pretty good.    Grin   And if you have bravely rebuilt it, and discovered that it still craves the flat earth, you are HALF WAY THERE.  Then go to the trouble of more self punishment, and the painful exercise in futility,   Undecided   of reconstructive surgery once again,  and if it still does not stay airborne this time,  THEN you get the following medal badge of honor, and a lifetime honorary appointment to the Board of Governors of the "Free Flightus Obscurus" Flat Earth Society.   Wink   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Indoorflyer
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: May 19, 2018, 02:57:17 AM »

That is excellent, Richard!
A hard earned badge of honor that would look good as a "nose art" emblem on a particularly challenging reincarnation.

Sorry for the thread "drift"; LWM and Crabby,you're being paged in the ER!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:08:15 AM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:36 PM »

Sanded the cowl on the T-28 I'm building...
flyfac
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: May 19, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

Is that T-28 from Dave Rees plans?

Scot Dobberfuhl
Forest Grove, OR
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: May 19, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »

Is that T-28 from Dave Rees plans?

No, this is a prototype build for William Scott's PT Aviation.

Mike
Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: May 19, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »

Exquisite work Mike!  The opening for the nose block looks to be finished with something shiny??

I like the repair on the Mig Crabby.  'When in doubt, make it stout'.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: May 20, 2018, 03:21:27 AM »

Quote from: David JP
Well Richard your SE5 is way up the scale - smashing!

That's what I thought when I saw those pics too. Very lifelike.

Rich, no, I've never had wingovers from my F6F (well except once when I left off the propeller boss, which is also the noseweight, and it zoomed into a full stall. . .) but it hasn't flown in windy conditions with anything but 150 turns or so - it's such a flyer that even a slight breeze plus lots of turns would mean a lost model in the flying space I have available.

Stephen.
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »

Exquisite work Mike!  The opening for the nose block looks to be finished with something shiny??

Thanks Don - what you're seeing is the laser burn and the remains of a tab that held the waste in the sheet during laser cutting.

Mike
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: May 21, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »

Grin  the p40 is now assembled, balance looks pretty close (needs weight in the nose and i need to do the fiddly bits. wife still has camera.  I will build it as an F model.

JIM Grin
Rich Adams
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »

Prosper - the reason I ask is that my Hellcat flies much like yours and has broken the 2 minute mark on several occasions. However, If launched into a fairly stiff breeze with the nose pointed slightly off to the left, it will sometimes just roll over on it's side ending in a full bore wreck. Of course, this is with the thing would up to about 1400 turns so there is a lot of power involved. If I launch to the right of the wind there is no problem. Probably just a misplaced torque issue.
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: May 22, 2018, 11:56:47 PM »

Finished shaping the carburetor and oil cooler intakes and ducts.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 69

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: May 23, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »

Very neat Mike!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »

just about finished the p40F  i put on an 8 inch prop and the extra weight helps the balance . i need to cover the rear add canopy and i'm done.

jim Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »

Grin p 40 is now finished and i got flight tests in before the ran.  YEAY!!!!!!!!  the plane weighs in at 70 gm so it is pretty solid.  it does behabve fairly well.  I need a bigger stretch to shake it down.

I would call this kit ADVANCED because although GAR simplified it you have to understand what the parts are and what the drawing tells you. you also must take it in stages to get it right.

i would do this as a scratch build and try to lighten the structure by shaving down the thickness of the tail and simplify the belly.  you need an 8 inch prop. not 7 as supplied with 2 loops 3/16 rubber.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: