Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2018, 04:37:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 47023 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: July 04, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »

"pansy-slap fight"

Thanks Crabby - another one for the note book.  Like it.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: July 04, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »

Converting wood from a Guillows #26 kit Eagle glider to Ray Kierna's Kayaba KA-1 Autogyro. I boiled the wing and pinned it down to dry to take out the dihedral. I stripped wood from the fuselage for the square stock and used the flat stock for the rotors and formers. Fuselage weighs 0.75 g, rotors weigh 1.3 g.
I converted one kit to a Cat-launch glider and another to a rubber-powered plane.
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: July 05, 2018, 06:45:51 AM »

On the 4th, I...
made progress on the enlarged Banana Fritter fuselage.
made up and lubed 2 motors for the Gollywock.
patched the wing on the Gollywock.
glued the loose wing half on one of my Sleek Streeks.
finished the prop for the Sparky (finally).
and just generally enjoyed myself.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: July 05, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

WING ATTACHMENT   -    FOUR REINFORCEMENT CHANNELS

Pic #1     9808     Mandrake and Bloodroot set to work sizing and fitting the balsa  "CHANNELS"  (troughs)  that will hold the broken spar stubs -  the stubs on the root rib at the fuse center section, to the spar stubs at the first rib on the wing.  ( The stubs stick out far enough, from the rib, in order to glue channels to them. )    The channels will be filled with spar balsa after the channels are glued.

Pic #2     9811     The first channel is done and filled with  1/16"  X  1/8"  spar balsa.   Mandrake and Bloodroot here are working on fitting the second channel.  These spars are  1/16" square balsa, that will fit side by side in the channel, filling it up.

Pic #3     9813     M and B  examine their work on the second channel, which is now glued in place and filled with  1/16" square balsa spar material.  The two flat files, (with blue handles), hold the channels in position to dry, with upward pressure from the weight of the sanding bock,  and the leading edge acting as a fulcrum.   Two more channels to go  -  one more  1/16" channel on the top of the wing,   and one more  1/8"  square channel on the bottom of the wing.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
playtime222
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: July 05, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »

Balanced a Guillows FW190 for rubber power - took 2 square inches of lead and doubled the weight - going to have the sink rate of a meteor...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: July 06, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30" Repair

WING ATTACHMENT   -    FOUR REINFORCEMENT CHANNELS and TISSUE PANEL

Pic #1     9818     Mandrake and Bloodroot have final sanded the top three channels that were filled with balsa for added strength.  They now examine their work looking for imperfections.

Pic #2     9824     Another view of the "filled" channels, and on the screen is one of three newly fledged Cooper's Hawk ( 28 inch wingspan ), babies, from the nest high up in the middle of three white pines, between the flower garden and the replica Spitfire and Hurricane in Jackson Park.   

Pic #3     9817     Before taking the plane out of the jig to install the channel on the bottom side of the wing,  M and B decide to cut out and glue in one  "top of wing"  tissue panel.  Bloodroot holds the steel rule steady while Mandrake uses the Exacto knife to cut the tissue panel to exact size.

3 pics from the video:
Pic #4     Watchfires
Pic #5     Choppers
Pic #6     Skyraider

Mandrake and Bloodroot are very patriotic soldiers.  This is their favourite song-   4:44  min video  "BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC" here  https://www2.bing.com/videos/search?q=BATTLE+HYMN+OF+THE+REPUBLIC&&view=detail&mid=08609C5E0403350BB19A08609C5E0403350BB19A&&FORM=VRDGAR

lyrics here  https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/16026763

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: July 06, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »

Grin  found the plans to "orange Crush" on the internet yesterday its called Cruuiser from Air trails dated 1949
I printed it off @11 x 17 to build an indioor version for fall as well as flyable in my back yard

plan will be posted.

JIM Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: July 06, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »

Putting the finishing touches on another fuselage for the King Harry. About to rig a dt for it. The rest of the king is still ready to go.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: July 08, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »

Finally1 got started on the Walthew MK II.

1 - It's only taken 45 years, but hey, there's no rush. Smiley
Tony B
Nickel Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: July 08, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »

Today i started doing some 3D design for my new long term project.
can't say what yet as i need to see if it will work first.

Tony B
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: July 08, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

WING ATTACHMENT   -    FOUR REINFORCEMENT CHANNELS and TISSUE PANEL,  DECAL,   STRUT WIRE SUPPORTS

The last two  -  1/64"  support wires are glued into the right wing strut attach point on the fuse.

Pic #1     9828     After the new tissue panel on top has dried,  Mandrake and Bloodroot size up the rough-cut,    "N"  decal,  that was salvaged from the crash.

Pic #2     9837     The top two black tissue panels have really difficult contours, so Mandrake and Bloodroot took measurements and eventually cut out two exact size paper templates for the tissue shape.

Pic #3     9836     M and B prepare further.  They cut out the tan tissue panel ahead of time to apply later, after the new one piece  windshield/window/skylight  fitting.

Pic #4     9832     M and B use their Cyborg Robot strength to lift the Speedster with its newly attached wing, out of the jig, that is has been tied down to with elastics, just like Gulliver. 

Pic #5     9838     The decal has now been trimmed and ready for gluing, and the very last  4rth  channel (that goes on the bottom wing side),  sits on top of the decal.   The top three channels are complete and sanded -   I think it is a pretty strong fix, as I compared wing "twisting" on both wings ...

Pic #6     9840      DIHEDRAL AND CROOKED NOSE SHOT Straight on view  -  the dihedral seems to be pretty close, and you can see the crooked nose pointing to the left (port) a little bit - will the propwash hit that nose and force the plane to the left ??   (The same as adding left turn rudder ?)  The prop wire is parallel to the fuse datum line.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: July 10, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »

WING ATTACHMENT   -    FOUR REINFORCEMENT CHANNELS and TISSUE PANELS

Pic #1     9844     The channels are filled up with balsa.

Pic #2     9884     Closeup of the underside of the four channels.     

Pic #3     9870      Shot down the wings to check the straightness.

Pic #4     9866     Mandrake and Bloodroot lay down and stretch tight  the tan color tissue panel for the top of the wing.

Pic #5     9886     M and B cut out the top cabin roof, black tissue panels, from drawn up, and cut to size, white paper templates,  that were masking taped over black tissue and a cutting mat. 

Pic #6     9891     Here  M and B are making new panels, as the first two ended up with bad  Huh Huh Huh  center line wrinkles (ie - don't press on them until the glue is dry).

Getting pretty close ...

23 min video  "SWAN LAKE"  by  Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovski  - full orchestra here   https://www2.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tchaikovsky+Swan+Lake&&view=detail&mid=95173D570BE9C3471D3095173D570BE9C3471D30&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »

Not only do we get updates but an education in music as well Smiley.Thanks Richard.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »

WING ATTACHMENT   -    LAST BOTTOM OF WING TISSUE PANEL and  FUSE TISSUE PANELS  and  "N" DECAL

The black tissue roof panels have been glued in, and several small patches of tissue are glued over the fuse holes.   Been gradually working on the windscreen on the side.

Pic #1     9894     Mandrake and Bloodroot are gluing the decal call letter "N"  using  UHU glue stick.

Pic #2     9896     M & B are stretching tight, the last glued tissue panel on the right wing root bottom.

Pic #3     9900     At the end of the day,  M and B  are   Grin  overjoyed and  Grin celebrating too soon  -  they forget that the hard part is yet to come -  the one piece "Windshield/Windows/Sun Roof"  windscreen   Angry    must be fitted and glued in, before shoving a rubber motor down the throat of the fuse.

Pic #4     9902     Ready to fly except for the windscreen ... and a motor ...  Camera view distortion shows crooked wing leading edges - an optical illusion - just like the "moon illusion".

Pic #5     9905     The fuse has several patches over ripped tissue holes from that last braided motor flight, full bore into thick canopy branches and leaves.

Pic #6     9906     Underside view.

M and B are going to try to selectively spray one coat of Krylon Clear Gloss rattle can on the new wing panels, onto that new tissue to bring out the color match to the old tissue.
     I am fighting the temptation to do some test glides with out the windscreen.    Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »

Good.  Now stay away from the trees this time eh? Smiley
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 121

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »

I think the windscreen is going to make some difference in the glide.

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: July 11, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »

I agree - the windscreen came off my little Bostonian Rearwin Speedster and the trim was totally altered - it had done a 2 min plus flight out doors and the behaved like a stroppy pig with gout. 
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: July 11, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »

"Stroppy pig with gout" David ?  LOL    I have decided to wait until I have the one piece windscreen glued in before I test glide the Speedster.  I can wait.   Undecided    The ground in Jackson Park has become rock hard and the grass has grown dormant in this drought and heat wave.
     There is a good flying field in Southwest Windsor that used to be called "Titcombe Park" that was named after the Indians who lived here, and sat beside the protected "Ojibway Prairie" complex of protected park lands.  The park had a baseball diamond, hockey rink, and playground equipment, and has been abandoned by the City for a couple of decades now, in order to let it grow back into wild "Tallgrass Prairie" Flora and Fauna.   It is really grown over with grasses  2 1/2 feet to  3 1/2 feet high - yes, the mythical grass ...  These 3 pics are from decades ago - it is all a big field now - no baseball diamond or playground equipment - yes, this was the park we all grew up in.
      The one piece Windshield attachment for the Speedster, has become quite the ordeal, having to size up everything and have it all taped in place an set up for gluing ...   Undecided   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

NEW ONE PIECE WINDSCREEN  (WINDSHIELD / WINDOWS / SUN ROOF)

WINDSCREEN TEST FIT

Mandrake and Bloodroot wake up early ... anxious and eager to get at that WindScreen, WS.
     First,  M and B use large  2"  green masking tape to tape up the fuse real well for handling.  
     The final plan is to tape up all three arms of the WS in place first, temporarilly untape and lift off, one of the window arms of the WS, apply the 5 min epoxy glue on the window frames,  then lay the "window arm" back down on the window frame, and  "stretch"  tape it up flat and let it dry.  Then do the others one at a time.  The front bottom of the WS is not glued to anything  -  it just sits snug on the nose, with the wrap-around curvature of the top of the nose.

Pic #1     9907   The new  one piece 0.005"  thick clear plastic Windscreen (WS) sits on the table in front of the nose.  Large Green masking tape is ready to cover the fuse with.

Pic #2     9914     M and B have now covered the fuse with big strips of masking tape and have lifted the plane into the Jig.  The fuse is held in its Jig with elastics.  They are now raising the WindScreen into place for a test fit.  The WS has lots of long thinner masking tape strips, that can be pulled taught and taped down, to help hold it into position for fitting and gluing.

Pic #3     9917     There is a single wider strip of masking tape holding the sun roof arm in postion.  

Pic #4     9920    Here M and B stretch out the masking tape strips that are half taped to the clear plastic window arms, and tape down the  "window arms" for a test fit that will hold these WindScreen window arms flat to the window frames while drying.

Pic #5     9921   M and B adjust the tape for a flat tight fit.

Pic #6     9928     The top of the "sun roof" part of the windscreen is centered also with a piece of masking tape.  Now M and B can examine the fit of the WS WindScreen, and make adjustments.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: July 12, 2018, 03:18:10 PM »

Had a little evening fun with my Auster Arrow, during which a Spitfire flew over!

At least I think it was a Spit...  it was a distance off, downwind and at the limit of my normal vision, but that was deffo a Merlin I heard.

And it was a real 1940's sunset sky!

Cheesy
MKelly
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: July 12, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »

Beautiful picture Jack Plane!  There's nothing like having a warbird fly over - a few weeks ago an F7F flew over mid-afternoon, gave me goosebumps.

Today I got the walkways and no-step lines on the T-28 wing.

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 148

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: July 13, 2018, 04:02:00 AM »

Richard - it's almost ready to take on the trees again :)M&B should get a raise. Nice work.

Your Auster is the jungle Jack - that must be wartime Burma? Very atmospheric shot of the sun and clouds - a god cover shot. The Auster looks raring t go.

Mike typically neat - it must be boring not having problems Smiley

John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: July 13, 2018, 06:50:36 AM »

Started the repairs after the Trans Tasman Scale event last weekend. The Avetek Tiger Moth needs a new front bulkheadafter another arrival due to a some what boisterous wind that was not quite as bad as Barkston in May.
The GM160 in the Aerographics Comper Swift has been stripped and the piston O ring replaced as well as being cleaned that I hope will improve performance that appears a little down. Also a longeron has been repaired and the undercarriage on the port side needs repair.
 Finally there is the Auster AOP9 that needs some covering repairs after landing and catching the port wing on a hard packed mound of earth the resulted in a strut puncturing the wing. The bonus was that I have found a stable trim and the model flew well in a breeze.
Ricky
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:49 AM »

Took all of the covering off the Lone Eagle as the rubbish tissue I was stupid enough to buy just did not work.  Am I naive because I consider that model goods suppliers should have little integrity where modellers are concerned?  Will now be a short delay whilst I purchase proper stuff.  And visit Liverpool.     
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »

Grin baby cruiser is almost complete. 

jim Grin
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: