Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 25, 2018, 04:46:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 58983 times)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 41

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: July 13, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »

'T was a Spitfire.....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: July 13, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

NEW ONE PIECE WINDSHIELD / WINDOWS / SUN ROOF

NEW WINDSCREEN   0.005"  thick

Adjustments were made to this practise W/S.  It was too tight around the LE wing bend, and I tried to widen out that portion  with barber scissors, and made a mess - looks like crinkling.   I had to also cut a thin slice off of the side window panel.   Time to make another New W/S.   M & B found some  0.005"  thick clear plastic sheets, amongst the mountainous wall shelves, full of kits and supplies.

Pic #1     9935    Mandrake and Bloodroot trace out a  new W/S white paper Template from the real "Practise Windscreen",  in order to make a better,  NEW W/S.

Pic #2     9939     This is the  "Draftsman"  result of M&B  tracing the practise W/S,  and then adding the  3/8"  larger outline.

Pic #3     9941     The practise W/S is no good because I carelessly wrote permanent ink on it, without first checking to see if a solvent can remove it without blemishing the clear plastic.   Also, the Template was too tight around the Leading Edge wing bend.
     So then I bought a small  $4  Cuticle scissor with curved tips,  and a  similar, slightly heavier duty,  $6  Nail Scissors with curved tips,  at Dollarama.  Shopper's Drug Mart wanted  $21  for each alone !!

Pic #4     9947     Here M and B cut out the  3/8"  larger outline of the Template.

Pic #5     9948

Pic #6     9949     Here the white paper Template is scotch taped to the new clear  0.005"  thick plastic sheet, and now ready to cut the true outline of the W/S,  and out should pop the new W/S all cut to shape.

"FUR ELISE"  by Ludwig van Beethoven played by Igor Zavadsky on his  'Bayan'  accordion  -    3 1/2   min video here   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=FUR+ELISE+BACH+ACCORDION&&view=detail&mid=93C4FB5DBD4A5E8351DB93C4FB5DBD4A5E8351DB&&FORM=VDRVRV

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 159

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: July 13, 2018, 08:17:34 PM »

The old girl is being given a lot of care there Richard.

BTW I got hit with a virus warning when I tried to open your music link.

John
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: July 14, 2018, 12:18:30 AM »

I got most of the building done for my test build of my Surpriz Kit (Rene Jossien Wakefield from the 60s). It weighs 93g as is, so with the prop and shaft plus DT hardware I am thinking 120 ready to cover. That leaves 60g for covering and finish etc. AUW needs to be 180g so that she will be at 230g with a 50g motor.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: July 14, 2018, 12:53:08 AM »

That's really nice, Bernard.

Gliders are a part of me.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: July 14, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »

That looks really neat BG, just like a giant Ailbass !
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: July 14, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »

Yes, I do like that one.  Half size would be nice too?
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 125

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: July 14, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »

Sweet lines on this BG, reminds me a little of the HE-64, the later one with squarish tips. Its got all the features that really turn me on.

Hey LASTWOODSMAN, I see you have been looking around in the beauty accessories section at Dollarama! Our secret is safe I won't tell if you don't! Roll Eyes

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: July 14, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »

" I bought a small  $4  Cuticle scissor with curved tips,  and a  similar, slightly heavier duty,  $6  Nail Scissors with curved tips,  at Dollarama.  Shopper's Drug Mart wanted  $21  for each alone !!"  Sorry - not Dallarama, but Wallmart for those little scissors.  Really good hard steel on these little scissors (if only they would make the finger holes a bit larger).    Buy them now as I see the tariffs on imported steel are going up ...   Undecided Huh

BG your  Surpriz Kit (Rene Jossien Wakefield from the 60s)  is really smooooth looking !

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: July 14, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

Finished the 2 fuselage sides on the upsized Banana Fritter. Sides are now in the process of being joined and construction of the rudder has started. Pictures to come.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: July 14, 2018, 01:40:33 PM »

Quote from: Jack Plane
Had a little evening fun with my Auster Arrow...
Still a bit disappointed I didn't get to see that one airborne back in May. Smiley

Been indulging in a little aero modelling archaeology this last couple of days in between nipping outside to see what's flying at RIAT.  Got two sides of the Walthew and its stabilizer so far.  Have a suspicion, utterly unfounded, that this may be the first Walthew MK II built in the UK in over 40, maybe even over 50, years.

A few more pictures here.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: July 14, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »

Here we go. It feels good to be building again. As I often do, I got the tail of the fuselage misaligned, but this time I caught it before I had glued in a dozen more cross pieces. Whew.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:40:14 PM by Bargle » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: July 14, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »

Nice work Lurk, Bargle and BG. A Walthew lurk? interesting.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: July 14, 2018, 10:52:23 PM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

NEW ONE PIECE WINDSHIELD / WINDOWS / SUN ROOF

NEW WINDSCREEN   0.005"  thick

Pic #1     9952     The new W/S is cut out, and Mandrake and Bloodroot are now  "masking tapeing" it up, the same way as the "Practise W/S".

Pic #2     9954     One at a time -  the left window arm of the W/S,  and its masking tape,  are pulled off the window frame,  and the window frame is painted with  5  min Epoxy glue,  and the W/S  window arm is laid back down and taped stretched flat.

Pic #3     9955     Now the Right hand side window arm, of the W/S,  is glued and taped down in place.

Pic #4     9960     M and  B mix up more  5 min Epoxy glue, for the Skylight Roof.

Pic #5      9971     The sun roof and the side windows are now all glued up and drying.   The brand new, clear WindScreen,  reflects the white lines of the vertical Venetian blinds, revealing the wavering  imperfections of the see-through plastic.

Pic #6     9976     The side windows appear to be glued fairly flat, and the windshield seems well contoured.   In the background on the wall - - left to right   Nicolai Rimsky Korsakov  1844 - 1908 Russian 64 yrs,  Antonio Vivaldi (The Red Priest) Italian 1678 - 1741  63 yrs,  Frederic Chopin (The Poet of the Piano) Polish 1810 - 1849  39 yrs .

Mandrake have been working very diligently, but I hear rumors of discontent in the workforce -  Mandrake and Bloodroot want equal pay for equal work,  for Cyborgs,  and they want to be able to pay for their own recharging of their batteries, with their own money ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:04:20 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: July 15, 2018, 05:31:58 AM »

Good on the workers - power to the ... er?HuhHuh??

Having stripped  the rubbish tissue off the Lone Eagle, with no chance of getting some Esaki before I am off to Liverpool (Mr Woodhouse is away) I continued with the cylinders which are now ready for painting.  Having got them ready for painting I decided to give myself a rest from micro work and start a Peanut.

Photo shows laminated tips for fantom - templates for Waco and bits for Lone eagle.

My first choice was a Fairly Fantome by Les Brunning.  But that looks a little complex to trim so also downloaded a Stahl Waco. Long time favourite. Thought I would start the Waco first by cutting out the templates for the wingtips and tail assembly.  Then put on the laminations.  Then realised I had cut out the parts for the Fantome! The parts on the Waco are remarkably similar!!! Never mind.

If any one has done a Fantome it would be nice to hear about it...........please.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: July 15, 2018, 06:06:39 AM »

David
        I am impressed. The Fantom is a very elegant machine and the moments look quite good. I will watch with interest. My activity today was further repair work on the Comper Swift that has had a new O ring on the GM160 piston and seems to have improved matters by running longer on a normal charge. The bottom tissue is ready for water shrinking tomorrow and the half of the elevator requires resetting. The Avetek Tiger now has a new front bulkhead out of ply and the new set of wings with revised strut mounting has also progressed as well. All the fiddly stuff. As it was raining hard this was very theraputic.
Are you going to the Nationals in August? 
Ricky
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: July 15, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »

Thanks Ricky.  Not definite about  Nats - wil chose my day I think depending on weather and what scale event is on.

Surprisingly we could do with some rain. 
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: July 15, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

FINISHING THE CRASH REPAIRS       GETTING FLIGHT READY

Marching Orders have come down from above for Mandrake and Bloodroot to get the Speedster flight ready.

Pic #1     9978    Three views of the W/S .     The 5 min Epoxy glue did not work well at all - the test strip really stuck right away   Undecided   and I did not wait a full day to find out that it also did not work.   Embarrassed

Pic #2     9979     M and B decide to try a quick fix.  They decide to insert, into pre-drilled holes in the W/S frame,   some small  1/32"  wire pegs to hold the W/S in place,  with a micro-drop of thin CA glue run down the wire.

Pic #3     9980

Pic #4     9988     Drilling the  1/32" holes for the  1/32"  music wire pegs.   These three pegs should hold the W/S in place, hopefully.  The 1/32" drill bit is glued into a 1/32" hole in the  1/8" wood dowel handle,  and points to a silvery wire peg sticking out (better than sticking inwards towards flailing rubber).    Shocked Shocked

Pic #5     9990     M and B have tied up a 3/16",  four strand,  each strand 13.5"  (prop hook to rear peg is 15") motor, with medium size Crocket hook, and a length of white string.   The rubber motor "Pushing Stick" head sits on the balsa block in front.

Pic #6     9993     The Pushing Stick is loaded up with the Rubber Motor, the white string is stretched and then masking taped tight, and is now almost ready for insertion, as M and B move it into position.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: July 15, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »

Rearwin SPEEDSTER 30"  Repair

GETTING FLIGHT READY

Pic #1     0002     Mandrake yells "Whoa - right there" - Bloodroot stops pushing - Mandrake then inserts the aluminum tube rear rubber motor post.

Pic #2     0008    Mandrake and Bloodroot install the removable noseblock.  The hook of the prop wire is now connected to the Crocket Hook of the Rubber Motor, and the string is cut off.

Pic #3     0013    Setting up for a test run of the engine - it has been five weeks   Embarrassed   since the Speedster flew ...    Mandrake says "Ready ..."

Pic #4     0021     "Contact" - and Bloodroot spins the prop with one sweep of his overly muscled, rippling forearm, and the engine fires up to life ...

Pic #5     0022     Balancing the Speedster with modelling Clay.   Mandrake says "just a little more weight" ...

Pic #6     0025      The Speedster is now balanced on two round head pins taped to the tops of two coffee cans.

The 30" Rearwin SPEEDSTER rises from the ashes like the Phoenix, and is now READY TO FLY yet once again     Smiley  ...  time for some test glides ...    Grin    Oh Oh -    Huh   just weighed it  102 grams all up weight AUW  wing area is 136 square inches   Wing Loading =   0.75  grams per square inch of lifting wing surface   .......   Huh Huh Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: July 15, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »

If that's with the rubber included - it should be fine Richard, in my humble opinion.

John
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: July 15, 2018, 11:44:14 PM »

Did the canopy framing on the T-28 today.  Not my favorite thing to do, especially on bubble canopies...

Mike
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 80

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: July 16, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »

beautiful canopy framing Mike
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: July 16, 2018, 01:22:01 AM »

Wow, Mike that looks very clean!!
Is it just paper or how did you do it?

Roman
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: July 16, 2018, 01:47:20 AM »

Cor, spiffing!!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: July 16, 2018, 05:22:42 AM »

Outstanding work Mike. I can't imagine what it would look like if you enjoyed doing it Smiley

John
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: