Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2018, 06:43:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?  (Read 65390 times)
Beazld and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: October 08, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »

Grin  installed a bigger prop in my 18 inch mustang.  may need  new motor to give it the oumpph it needs. design is based upon the F106 X WHICH HAS A DELTA WING AND A CANARD.  it glided in a slight dive  b indicating its nose heavy but guess where the pusher prop is going.  i'll have a photo when it is fully assembled.

i'm off to the sister in law's for turkey (poor yanks u have to wait another 7 weeks!!!!!) and then i'm off to get in touch with my inner biplane for a couple of days.

jim Grin Grin Grin
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:05 PM »

I haven''t flown anything yet, but I now have a DHC-1, DHC-2 and DHC-3 ready for their trim flights. The Chipmunk is the 17" Guillows kit, the Beaver is the 30" Dumas kit, and the Otter is from the Pres Bruning plans on Paul Bradley's site and an awesome set of laser cut parts from Dave Cowell at Areowerks.

Today I converted a hand drill to a winder, so no more excuses, I need to find a suitable field with suitable non-breezy conditions and see if these will really fly.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: October 25, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »

In an effort to combat forum withdrawal over the past two weeks I've been busy in the shop. From the plans gallery I built the bbPusher, the Phantom Flash and have almost completed the Bostonian Porter. I have test flown the bbPusher and the Flash, with very encouraging results.

I also built the Acme-Uneeda Balsa Stripper and upgraded my balsa guillotine with a stop fence.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »

Neat Dan. Those big wooden buttons you have under the adjustment screws caught my eye - well after reading the notes that is Smiley
Lots of building there.
John
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: October 27, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »

Grin  whaty didn't do airplane wise over the last two weeks?

let's start with i visited OWL'S HEAD TRANSPORT MUSEUM.  this place is located near camden maine and houses prehistorical airplanes and cars,.  it is very interesting and i tried flogging my book there . they liked it to a point and unfortunately for me they had all the books they can use.

SHAMELESS PLUG  GRANDPAW'S BIG BOOK OF AIRPLANES IS AVAILBLE FROM ME  via mail for $15.00 bucks all up in Canada you send Canadian funds and in USA its $15.00 US.  the difference is because of postal rates to usa

this would make a nice xmas gift for young children and grand kids to get them enthusiastic about airplanes and visiting museums.  if you are interested, send me a PM

NOW BACK TO OWL\S HEAD

I HAVE SELECTED 6 PICS FOR YOU.  THIS PLACE IS WORTH A VISIT IF YOU ARE IN OR GOING TO MAINE.  IT IS OPEN ALL YEAR 
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: October 27, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »

Grin MORE OWL'S HEAD
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: October 27, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »

Grin  the other thing was i built a 30  year old guillow's sopwith camel.

i did substitute coffee sticks for the balsa struts, and landling gear, i replaced the plastic nose with two sheets of 1/4 balsa to bring weight forward. and i doubled upo the struts to provide proper support to the wings.  i've flown it in my basement and its almost there.  oh yeah a bigger prop is a must. oh yeah  top spars to both wings were added

jim Grin
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: October 27, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »

rest of the pics.  i show how i built, secured in position and covered the wings then fit the landing gear.  the wheels wire is not secured to the l g struts to allow for movement.

jim

ratz  tafter a post the screen reports an oops but you do in fact post

jim
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: October 27, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »

Put back together a 20+ year-old Guillows Typhoon and took it out for some fun.  Moved the peg 2-1/2" forward, put in 2x17" loops 3/32" rubber turning a 6" Peck prop.  After a couple trim adjustments it was putting out steady 40-45 second flights on ~1300 turns.  Great fun till the wind changed and it smacked a chain-link fence across the parking lot...

Selected video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRGIFFT60g&feature=youtu.be

Flew the Tempest also to check out a 7-3/4" Igra prop.  Worked very well - put the model on the roof of a nearby store when wound to 5.5 oz-in!  The local security guards were very helpful, unlocked the ladder and retrieved the undamaged model from the roof.  Alas, as the gentleman on the roof handed the model off to the gentleman on the ladder, the wing and tail got crunched...  Oh well, it was about due to be re-covered anyway.  At least I have it back!

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: October 27, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »

Sure do need a bigger field to really fly um.
TheLurker
Gold Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: October 28, 2018, 05:43:11 AM »

Been boring ABL (who's fault this is, sort of, indirectly, if you squint just right and need someone to cast nasturtiums at) and Jack Plane with this for a week or three now.

Lacey M-10 (Peck-Polymers' kit).  Like the Walthew this is unfinished business from a while back; started on the free plan that was dished out with Aeromodeller in late '76, never finished it.

Build log here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41392773@N02/albums/72157672544311417
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: October 28, 2018, 06:07:37 AM »

A very productive day repairing a number of models starting with the Hacker Piper Cub that now has the new spat in place and just needs the yellow flash. This is a black with Yellow trim. Not a YHWM.
A Comet Avenger now has the new tailplane painted and repair tissue on the fuselage drying, the new Eaves Cougar peanut has competed painting while new wings and struts for the Avetek Tiger Moth are now finished ready for rigging, and the nose block of the Aerographics Moth Minor is now painted completing the paint as is the new nose block for the Ol Ironsides peanut. Clearly a lot of trim work now needs to be done on all of the above and a recovered Comper wing as well. All in all a very good day. The new compressor from Aldi is working well. The auto cut off is a nice feature as is the ability to regulate pressure easily.
Ricky   
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 58

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »

I've spent the last week or so building Peter Rake's Mini Bluebird as a first foray into indoor RC for the winter season. I've changed one or two things to suit my building style, in particular the laminated wing and tail tips. Lot's of parts to cut out as I presume it was designed to be laser cut but it came together quite quickly after all the cutting was finished.

Jon

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/6/3/7/9/5/2/a11312132-35-WP_20181101_10_24_20_Pro.jpg
What Did You Do Airplane Wise Today?
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: November 10, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »

DH 60 GIPSY MOTH 30"    - Plan Sheets

My big winter project will be another  30"  wingspan Jumbo rubber powered model.   It will be the Dumas DH 60  "GIPSY MOTH" biplane,  and will be flown, hopefully, for 15 second standard flights,  and for 30 second flights max, in the small confines of the Cricket Wicket  of Jackson Park.
     The two big  36" X 24" plan sheets were getting too much trouble moving around, so I made up two larger poster boards to fit them on,  from Ross Craft white foam board  3/16" X 30" X 20".    My "Mastercraft"   36"/100 cm  steel rule came in handy,  along with the square and  the cutting board.  I used a lot of clear scotch tape for the foam board pieces, and I used  "binder clips"  to hold the plan sheets to the Ross Craftboard.
     Now I can stare at, and read, and study, both plans at the same time, as they sit one above the other on the sofa chair (no complaints from Trapper ... lol    Smiley   ).
     Now I just need to photocopy those two big plan sheets at Staples, so I can scissor them up, and photocopy the laser cut balsa sheets, and instructions, and decals, and ...
     I found a couple of pretty good color schemes.  It will be traditional translucent tissue covering.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:31:58 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: November 10, 2018, 05:53:00 PM »

I have done absolutely nothing, I'm afraid. Got a bit sidetracked…

Cheers!

Dan.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: November 11, 2018, 01:01:04 AM »

We all knew you’ve done “nothing” Dan - which is also good!  Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:06 AM »

Breaking my,  "Only one build at a time." rule and it's all Mr. Fardell's fault.  Although if we're being picky about it; if I hadn't shown MrsLurker the film* of the ornithopters she wouldn't have wanted one in the first place.  Smiley

One Freebird. 

Stats: 
Weight without motor : 5.37g
Motor                        : 1.55g
Plan says typical weight quarter of an ounce (7g) so just squeaked under at 6.92g.

Max turns: Plan says 220 (lubed motor), using Ross' figures for 1/8" strip I get an 80% max of 240 so 200-220 should be perfectly safe.

No idea how well, or if, this will fly.  Going to have to wait for flat calm and dry weather to find out.  MrsL is adamant that it's not going to be flown indoors and it's her machine so she makes the rules.

Lurk.

*Yes, yes I know; no celluloid involved at all these days it's all clever electron wrangling.
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: November 11, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »

Engine ventilation panel graphics for new SPAD

Mark
Dan Snow
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »

Apologies for no flight pictures, but I did get 3 very nice trim flights on my version of a Phantom Flash.

Flight #1 approx 60 turns, Flight showed left turn slightly tail heavy, approx 4-5 seconds.
Flight #2 approx 70+ turns, Flight slight gentle initial climb then 20' or so dia left circle, no signs of stall. approx 5-6 seconds.
Flight #3 approx 80+ turns, gentle left turn climb then descending in fairly flat 20' circle, approx 6-7 seconds.

These were done in the street in front of my house so I don;t want to increase the winds beyond a 100 so that'll be it for now.

All flights were made with the balsa prop built per the plans. Thrust bearing is a .040" dia hole drilled thru an oak button, topped by a 3/32" plastic bead drilled with another .040" hole, and a brass washer.  Power is a single 8" loop of 3/32" FAI sport rubber.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 168

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: November 13, 2018, 03:07:06 AM »

Very nice flapper Lurk. Has that gained you extra dining table building time from the managing director of Lurker Industries?  Smiley

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

Quote from: OZPAF
Has that gained you extra dining table building time from the managing director of Lurker Industries?  Smiley
Smiley

The MD is very understanding and to date I can't remember a single complaint about the workshop.  Not even when I've left fragments of tissue, splinters and dust on the newly hoovered floor. 
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: November 14, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »

Not today, but yesterday ... decided to have a clear out of old books for the charity stand at the co-op.
Tossed a few of my dad's old books on the pile and then decided to re-check the blue one. It was a 1943 copy of 'The Design and Construction of Flying Model Aircraft' by D.A. Russell. About 75 years in the family and not sure if I had seen it before!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: November 15, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »

Oops! Sidetracked again... It's amazing what not buying 20 fags a day can do for your bank balance. This is a BC Rich "Mockingbird". Maple through neck, mahogany side pieces and ebony fretboard. I've lusted after one of these since I was 17 and it's superb...

New model soon; maybe...

Cheers,

Dan.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: November 15, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »

Nice axe, Dan!  I recently acquired an ARIA ES-500 that I had been lusting after since 1982, shortly after my Gibby ES345 got stolen. Airplanewise has been practically zip due to re-arranging the flat and getting some new furniture, but I DID get to move a big bunch of planes (got to keep things on-topic Roll Eyes Grin).

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: November 15, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »

Hey Lurk,
the Freebird does fly - and fairly well!

A couple of us built it about eight or nine years ago (might be more) - it was when Bernard (BG) was still in Germany.  Mine was a porker at nearly 9 grams (IIRC) as I used whatever wood that fell out of my junk box and it still flew - not an endurance flight by any means, tho.  Lasted about 15 flights, the final (literally!) being retrieved by a clubmates pooch.  Never got any photos...

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: