Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:37:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Motor Length  (Read 244 times)
SWAT1057
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »

I have built a Square Eagle P30 and it is ready to fly. Everything per original plans barring the Gizmo Geezer
prop assembly. Upon making up the motors (10 grams FAI 1/8), I have questions concerning their length.
Nose to motor peg measures 20 inches, 6 strands of rubber measures 19 inches (approx.) and 4 strands
measures 28 inches (approx.). The GG prop assembly does not seem to want to freewheel with 6 strands
and at 4 strands it seems to leave a large amount of turns not expended at freewheel. Is this normal?
Gizmo Geezer instructions recommend not braiding the motor.How much extra motor length past the nose
is typical? Should I move the rear motor mount fore or aft to accommodate? Other solutions?
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:12:20 PM »

If using the Gizmo Geezer, your Square Eagle should be fine with the shorter motor (6 strand).

This will not work if using the prop with the bent shaft and plastic tooth as shown on the plan. If using the latter, I would move the rear peg location forward until the prop is able to free wheel (using 6 strand).

The Square Eagle, BTW a very good P-30, was designed almost 40 years ago. Back then 6 strands of the available rubber (FAI black) was slightly longer.

Don't forget the 10g motor includes the lube.

Norm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:08:52 PM by NormF » Logged
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48:28 PM »

Use the 6 strand motor.
If it won't freewheel---- move the rear peg forward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: