Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:46:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scratch built slowflyer for Hobby Zone Champ guts  (Read 202 times)
Jonoton
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »

Hello,

Over the long weekend I sketched up and built a little slowflyer. I have an old Bleriot model somewhere that dates back to the geared 280 and NiCd days, and this plane took that loosely as inspiration.

The airfoil is a free hand sketch, as are all of the tailfeathers and moments. I found a sheet of 5.5 lb balsa at a craft store, and all the wood other than the fuse stick came from that.

AUW with the HZ Champ guts is 31g. I think the Champ weighed in the 52 or 55g range. I still need to to up landing gear, but it has flown. Too much wind, though! If the leaves are moving, this and is getting bounced around.

The wing twists too much to fly in a predictable manner with the wind. Some flying wires may ne necessary, but it may stiffen up once I shrink and dope it.

The tail feathers are a friction fit to the fuse stick, which has a slot cut in it for the lower half of the vert stab. The wing pylons are attached to the fuse stick with rubber bands.

Particulars:
Span w/o winglets: 33"
Chord: 5.5"
Total wing area: 165 in^2
AUW: 31g
W/l: .95 oz/ft^2
Esaki tissue. Not shrunk or doped yet.
Jonoton
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:20:02 AM »

Here is a picture:
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Scratch built slowflyer for Hobby Zone Champ guts
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:46:43 AM »

Nice light flying weight.  Should have walking speed landing.  Really enjoyed the Slow Sticks many years ago.
Jonoton
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »

Bill,

Thank you. It does fly at a brisk walk outdoors, but the smallest breeze upsets it. I hope to fly it indoors soon to see what it can really do.
The construction is very slow-stick inspired. The reflex airfoil, wing tips, and wing pylons all came from my recollection of SlowSticks (which I built many of  Smiley )

Jonathan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: