Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 19, 2017, 10:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Making boxes to transport models  (Read 1189 times)
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 07:16:40 PM »

...There is a catch in shipping UPS though. They charge more by size so unless you can get a lot of planes in a big box you  are better to go with more small ones. You also need to check their website and note the size limits for charges---an inch difference in one dimension can double the price of shipping. This where being able to glue up a custom size box from sheets really is nice.

I have run into this situation myself.  I designed a couple of model kits for a customer and had to ship completed prototypes to a trade show overnight.  The first time this happened they shipped me an Anvil case large enough to contain the model.  The model was suspended in the center of the case by packing peanuts.  When I sent it back, overnight, by UPS the charge was $215!  (Los Angeles to New York) I realized that that was the same charge they payed to ship the case to me.  Even though the model was surrounded by packing peanuts in a metal case they had to glue the tail back on when it arrived at the show.

I knew that I would have to do this again and decided to see if I could save the customer some money.  I had a double wall cardboard box built by a local packing company.  The next model I shipped to the customer overnight went in the cardboard box surrounded by packing peanuts.  The whole box, ready for shipping, weight 7.5 pounds.  I shipped it overnight by USPS.  The Post Office charges only by true weight for shipping not "cube weight" as UPS and FedEx do.  The overnight shipping, including tracking and insurance, came to $58. Now I do all my shipping, even internationally, by USPS.  And, I have never had anything arrive damaged. My customer has also added USPS to their shipping options.

Howard
(kittyfritters)

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
D/T
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »

What ho Big G, you've seen this stuff, is it only available in black? Web site seems to indicate so. Gavin
Gavin
It is too thin and floppy for outdoor boxes and not resistant to dropped objects. It is used to build some delta rc slopers, I believe (useless info).
Don
Big G
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 12:06:57 PM »

Ain't black, it's a kind of translucent white and not at all floppy, although I wouldn't make a box for transporting outdoor models with it. Correx is stiffer and denser. I intend to measure up what I need and get some next week - if it's no good, I won't have bust the bank.

I used to get really good-quality cardboard boxes for all manner of uses from our local Co-Op Shop, but they now have to re-cycle all carboard and paper waste, or so they claim.

G
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »

I had a Fierce arrow model built in Poland years ago.  It came in a box made of 2" thick Styrofoam covered in a sheet of about 30 LB paper glued to the surface of the foam with white glue. This was a huge box 4 ft x 3 ft x 1 ft but it only weighed about 10 lbs.  It came to O'hare on a Lot flight and my friend Bob (bear) Bearden picked it up.  It was checked on an American flight to Dallas and survived the whole ordeal just fine. They did cover the box on the inside and added a second layer at the corners.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »

Many thanks for all the advice on this subject, and for the beautiful examples of model boxes. I went to B&Q the other day but couldn't find foam boad or any other cheap and suitable material. However, on a tip-off from my wife I nipped down the road and raided the heap of fruit boxes left in the corner of the local carpark on market day. None of these boxes was big enough but I choppd them up and sort of Frankensteined them back together to make two new boxes which will hold the five models I'm bringing to Nijmegen. If you look carefully you may see that these masterpieces are neatly held together with copious amounts of gaffer tape.

(I'm a firm believer that, other than affairs of the heart, there is nothing that can't be fixed with gaffer tape. I even wrote a song about it once... https://youtu.be/O8Dq9Nw5eWo)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Making boxes to transport models
Re: Making boxes to transport models
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

Those will work! Gaffer tape rules!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek