Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:41:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FAC Contest possibilities in the Pacific Northwest Discussion  (Read 255 times)
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:21 PM »

This is a new thread that came out of several posts in the Half Sized Wakefield thread which you can read here:http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=6701.msg213182#msg213182

So how about a FAC contest in the PNW?  One thought is to check with the Willamette Modelers Club brass and see if we can add FAC events to one of their contests or run an FAC contest concurrently like the FAI guys do.

Any other thoughts and ideas?  Lets brainstorm a bit!

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
TRuss
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

There are maybe one or two squadrons in the PNW.  As far as I can tell there was one here in Salem at some point, but not any longer.  There is another one in Washington somewhere and it appears to be headed up by the guy who who handles the WMC website.  I don't think there is much to starting a squadron, I think there is a minimum number of people required, but it isn't very many, maybe fewer than 10, I can't remember.  I'm not sure how interested the club brass are in handling FAC events or even what their opinion of the FAC is, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out.

Travis
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

I sent an email inquiry to the WMC brass. I'll report on my findings.

How much room does an FAC contest need? I have access to a sod farm just north of the Tri-Cites in WA. Challenge is it consists of 8-9 center pivot irrigation circles. Lots of nice green sod with a slow moving semi-permeable wall Grin   

Satellite picture attached.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: FAC Contest possibilities in the Pacific Northwest Discussion

Derek
flyfac
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »

Travis, Derek, and PNW FACers,

I'm the nominal squadron leader of Western Oregon FAC #31, which is basically a group of one. I've been in touch with a few other guys in the area who are building, but we haven't come together to fly as of yet.

If you're able to gather a group of fliers interested in FAC events, I think FACGHQ would recognize and support the effort.  If there's a quorum for FAC-legal events, someone willing to act as the contest CD, and event sheets filled out and sent to the keeper of the kanones, I'm guessing that would qualify as an FAC contest.

Best,

Scot
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »

Bob Stalick from the Willamette Modelers Club responded to my email query.  He said he would bring the idea up at the next WMC club meeting which is on November 4th. We shall see.

Derek
SBlanchard
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »

Just a note to anyone wanting to CD contests. You may already know this but you do need to be members of the AMA and the CD must have CD status with the AMA. It is a very simple process to become a CD. Just go on the AMA web site and look up the information. There is a test and forms to fill out. The best part about being a CD is that if you run contests and fill out the CD forms for the contest, you will get a break on your AMA membership dues.

Steve
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »

Is AMA membership required to fly in FAC contests? Doesn't apply to me because I'm a member. Just wondering.  I know AMA membership is required to participate in Willamette Modeler Club.

Derek
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »

I think you have to remember that the FAC and AMA are two different organizations. The only reason you would need an AMA number at an FAC contest is if whomever is putting on the contest wants all entrants to have the liability insurance in order to use the field. There is no FAC requirement that you belong to the AMA to have a contest nor be a AMA Contest Director. There is no FAC requirement that an FAC contest be sanctioned by the AMA and on the calendar. AMA insurance coverage still exists---even for funflys. AMA membership for FAC flyers is almost always for liability insurance purposes.

FAC membership is OR is not a requirement of whomever is running FAC events. Many FAC CDs are happy to have any non-FAC members fly in a contest but their wins are not recorded on the FAC records book for the various ranks. They get the local glory for a win but no Kanone is recorded.

Having said all that, most FAC contests or club funflys require at least AMA membership for liability. At WESTFAC, the premier west coast FAC contest, (which all NW flyers are most sincerely invited) all that is required is AMA membership, either Regular or Park Flyer level. How anybody can live without the FAC membership and newsletter, I cannot comprehend, but it's OK!
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »

I think you have to remember that the FAC and AMA are two different organizations. The only reason you would need an AMA number at an FAC contest is if whomever is putting on the contest wants all entrants to have the liability insurance in order to use the field.

Thanks for the reply Tom.  I do know that they are different organizations.  I also know that WMC requires AMA membership for liability purposes so that would apply to any FAC contest using their field arrangements. 
I don't know how picky they are about sport flyers at WMC sponsored contests.

Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: