Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 12:59:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Light weight poles  (Read 589 times)
Skymon
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
fly it

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »

Does anyone have any favourite recommendations for steering poles??
I'm looking for something lightweight and cheap Smiley
Ebay seems to have hundreds, so a particular brand would be a great start.

Best regards
Simon
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »

Simon
You should be able to find something suitable in the UK. In the US pole fishing hasn't caught on and there's literally nothing available here. I think a put over pole is the way to go. The price goes up exponentially with length so probably your first move should be to decide what length will work for your flying sites. Mine is a Maver Blue Vega 11m. I see them listed in a few places but I thought it was discontinued a few years ago. Price with shipping was around $250.

I don't think many people have been happy with telescopic poles.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maver-Blue-Vega-GT-1100-11m-Pole/263028654392

I stand corrected and the price is much less than I paid.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »

If you're willing to wait for shipping from China, you can get carbon poles fairly inexpensively from Aliexpress.  I bought the 13 meter pole at the link below.  The price has gone up about $15 since I ordered, but it's still pretty reasonable.  It does get a little whippy at the end if you fully extend it, but overall it seems to be a nice lightweight pole for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultra-Long-Hard-8-9-10-11-12-13-Meters-Stream-Hand-Pole-Carbon-Fiber-Casting/32817165706.html
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »

One thing I did to help with tip whippiness was to buy a pole a little longer,  then take out the tip section. I have a 13m pole I bought from Aliexpress a few years back for about $100 USD shipped and it is nice but I don't use the last section. When looking look at the pole specs look at the base diameter and tip diameter. The 13m I have is around 44mm at the base and original tip I do not recall but wiht that tip section taken out it close to 4mm. This pole is about 1 m long collapsed so the 13m is really around 12m with the tip section removed. So basically buy 1m longer than you need. I recently just bought this 16m pole for use at Rantoul which is just a little higher than I can comfortable reach with my current pole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescopic-fishing-rod-8m-18m-99-carbon-superstrength-sensitive-fishing-pole/182524338697?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It has a 44mm base and the tip is 1mm but I removed that section so the tip is now around 4mm so now it is around 15m long. This pole was pricier, about $170 USD and have not tried it yet with a model, but will try in a few weeks when I go to Rantoul.

Don                        
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »

I don't think many people have been happy with telescopic poles.

The only thing wrong with them is others borrowing them and not knowing how to treat them.
I.E. Whipping them against the floor to open up/extend them.
Or not extending them enough so that they come crashing down under weight when held vertically.

I'd recommend at least two meters longer than needed and remove the top two pieces.
And as wide as possible for stiffness. Add heavy foam to the bottom for when they do come crashing down.
And clean them after a few sessions to remove any/all oils/silicone.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Olbill
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »

I will lend my pole to others if they ask but I try to never borrow a pole.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »

I recall Ray Harlan has a really nice telescoping carbon pole. Not for sale,  just his personally. You could ask him what kind it is. Just don't short out anything electrical with a carbon pole! It may be a good strategy to use something in a non-exotic material, but somewhat oversize, for the first few feet of the pole. Ought to save some money that way.

Outside, I've used a really horrible but very long fiberglass pole that was really heavy. Best with three people to handle it.

Here's his web site:
http://www.indoorspecialties.com/index1.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: