Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2017, 10:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Foam Core Plan Oddity  (Read 222 times)
kukailimoku
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »

Aloha all,

I'm going to be cutting down an old Zagi wing to scratch build a sloper, my first foray into the world of foam cores. The plan has this funky tab fore and aft that I can't seem to figure out the purpose of. Any seasoned vets have an idea?

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Foam Core Plan Oddity
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:57 PM »

Lead in and lead out ramps for the hot wire (foam cutter).

Don't think those templates are for the Zagi. It looks like one would use wood LE and TE to extend the foam core. Those templates look like they are from the Airster.
http://pulling-gz.blogspot.gr/2012/08/rc-modeller-plan-and-article-golden.html?view=flipcard

You don't want to use EPP. Rather use EPS (expended or extruded works fine).

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
kukailimoku
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Yup, the Airster, I'm going to give the Zagi foam a shot with some extra stiffening and sheeting the thing. If it flaps in the wind I'll try something else!
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »

Its been a while, but I recall the Zagi having polypropylene wings. There is no laminating glue that I'm aware of that will bond to polypropylene. To save you heart ache you might want to go to your local hardware store and get some foam insulation sheets. Ether expanded or extruded EPS (white, pink or blue) will work. And as there is a flat datum on these sheets it will be a lot easier to cut straight true wing cores.

As it looks like you are starting to work with foam I'd like to recommend this book.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=644

It will pay back dividends a 100 time over from its $20 asking price. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

BTW: I loved my Airster, built it in the 90's, and the follow up ship the Freedom.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: