Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 11:58:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alfreton Leisure Centre indoor meeting  (Read 1592 times)
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:54 PM »

This has appeared on the BMFA site's 'What's on?' page. Anyone flown there before?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Alfreton Leisure Centre indoor meeting
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:16:44 AM »

Yes! There used to be regular meetings around 12 years ago. It's not bad, as I remember, and is a reasonable size.

Dan.
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:25:09 AM »

It is very local to me, was going to go, but I am away.  I think a number of the NMAC boys will be going...

Nit been myself, but they said it was ok, and they were going to limit the RC to give free flighters a chance.

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:10:25 AM »

Count me in!

Dan.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 05:14:31 AM »

I've been on the mailing list for Alfreton for over a decade, but have still not managed to get there ....I think there used to be a lot of RC flying mentioned, that was a bit off-putting.

I don't want to spread confusion, so all I would say is to confirm the date with Nigel Monk.

I say this because Nigel used to run the regular meetings, but has recently handed the running over to someone else (Peter Blake?).
I have had an email with a full list of Alfreton meetings from Peter Blake ... this one is not on the list.
May be that Nigel is organising the odd meeting independently now?
As I say, I hope that this doesn't confuse!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »

I don't think there's any doubt about the date- Nigel Monk has posted here...
https://www.aeromodellers.co.uk/forum/modelflying-events-news/33023-alfreton-indoor-freeflight-ultralight-rc-meeting

It's about 80 miles for me, which is okay. The main thing from my point of view, with it being only a three hr session, will be to get plenty of FF time in amongst the RC stuff. I might try it and see how it goes. I daresay the more freeflighters turn up, the more sway we'll have!
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:53 AM »

That link explains it all Pete ..  thanks.

Embarrassingly,  now I have read that .... I seem to remember Nigel mentioning the possibility of more ff orientated meetings last time we met Embarrassed

Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Hi All,
I seem to already be a member of this forum although I confess I can't remember when I joined up and probably haven't posted before. Dan mailed me this morning and mentioned this thread so I thought I would see what was what.

The post on the Aeromodeller's forum has all the details. I am still in the Rolls-Royce (Derby) MC who organise regular indoor sessions at Alfreton and have done for at least 20 years, originally under the drive of the late Ray Holiday, then myself and my late father, now Peter Blake. But the sessions have become heavily shock flyer and solid foam RTF oriented and I wanted to try to encourage the aeromodelling for the region.

Anyway, we have half a dozen aeromodellers amongst the fliers at Alfreton and Doug Hunt from NMAC agreed to try to encourage their members to attend, so combined we hope to be viable (Doug has just retired back to Derby). The hall is 30x37m x8m high to the first metalwork - a bit low for freeflight but at least easily reachable with a fishing pole. It is laid out as 4 badminton courts side by side with two more across the top, all with a fair amount of space in between. Trestle tables are available. The Leisure Centre has recently been refurbished to a very high standard and has a large and airy café area (not overlooking the hall unfortunately), plus free parking, and a lift if required.

Most importantly, ONLY RC suitable for mixing with free flight will be allowed to fly. We'll have time slots if people aren't completely happy mixing.

So, hope to see some of you there. You might recognise me from skulking in the crowds at the FF indoor nats but I'll welcome everyone anyway. I'll try to pop back in to the forum to answer any questions but PM me or use nigel.bmonk@ntlworld.com for this event if you wish. It is 2.00-5.00pm and Alfreton is 5 minutes from J28 on the M1 where it crosses the A38.
regards
Nigel
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »

Thanks for that Nigel.

I am a bit gutted to be missing this as I have been travelling down to Peterborough for my indoor flying, and this is very much more local for me.

Are there any more planned?

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »

Well I think I'm sold! Thanks for organising this, Nigel- a most welcome addition to the calandar.
At Clayton they mixed lightweight RC with freeflight and it generally worked well. I think it rather depends on how many RC models are in the air at once. Two or three was the norm there and that was fine. On the other hand, at the Manc Velodrome meetings, half hour turnabout FF/RC slots worked very well too, but of course we usually had the whole day there so not really a comparable situation.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Nigel  Smiley

I have been meaning to go since the days of Ray Holiday and have expressed this to you on many occasions .. hopefully can make this one  Smiley

Russ
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 04:35:54 AM »

There's a full schedule of our regular meetings arranged between now and next summer, 3 or 4 weeks apart. The dates have recently started to be advertised with the BMFA. Freeflight is welcome at these but I always advise people with models they value, something they've spent many hours completing say, to keep them in their boxes between flights - sometimes some of the radio models are not as controlled as they ought to be and for some reason, the wall behind the tables is a favourite to crash into. That and each other mid-air. Slots are an absolute must at these meetings and recently they have been 15 minutes between changes. This means you have time to prepare for a flight without a long wait for your next slot, time for a couple of flights in your slot, then back to your bench for a chat and/or cuppa. It's not as relaxed as a whole evening without control but it has kept us viable over the years.

For this extra meeting, some of the above may still be relevant. I'm not concerned about BMFA RC Indoor scale models attending, for example, because I think they have as much time and care in their construction as a similar freeflight scale model, so I presume they will be flown with as much care. I am slightly concerned about the microaces models, they do seem to fly slightly fast, but lets wait and see if they need a slot. They certainly seem to take a lot of building. The Vapor range are completely innocuous. The Ember crosses the line. Brushless motors imply too much power. Separate servos imply too much weight or an excess of control - they can mix it with the big boys so don't need this meeting. These are my parameters and I'm happy to be guided by what people are comfortable with, but it's definitely intended for the lightest models only, stretching into RC only a tiny bit.

Will there be any more? Provided we can break even (on average), the club will be willing to underwrite further meetings - that's a necessity for the BMFA's insurance for the organiser's liability cover. Dates may be a problem - ironically, the hall gets booked for kiddies parties through the winter! which is why we've booked the full schedule ahead this year. Finding another free Saturday may be an issue. Sunday may be an option. Regrettably the centre closes at 6.00pm on Saturday for lack of demand. They used to stay open late for us but gradually 'head office' have pushed us forwards to the normal closing times. Anyway, between that and dodging Peterborough and Shawbury, we'll find a way. I'll talk to folk on the night, or chip in here, first thing to decide is whether the hall is high enough.

Look forward to seeing you there, please encourage others of a similar inclination to come along, I'll see if Andrew Boddington will put a short write-up in the AM (there was supposed to be an event notice in the mag but it possibly got lost with the recent turmoil).
Nigel
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:25:54 PM »

Still looking good for Saturday. (It is in this month's AM events listing.)

I re-measured (estimated) the hall ceiling heights last Saturday and I reckon it is the best part of 9m to the curtain rail with 1.5m to the apex. Given its age, it was possibly 35 feet. If I can manage it, this is a picture of the hall with my back against one wall.

cheers
Nigel
Alfreton Leisure Centre indoor meeting
Re: Alfreton Leisure Centre indoor meeting
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »

That looks a good size, I am really annoyed to be missing this one!  Grrr...

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »

I agree- it looks pretty good. I'm still planning to come.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »

Is there a postcode?
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

From Google maps:

Alfreton Leisure Centre, Church St, Alfreton DE55 7BD
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »

thanks
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »

Strong boxes advised for the short walk from the carpark to the centre!  There are disabled spaces in front of the building to the right.

When you turn off the A38, head into Alfreton, straight on at first traffic lights (100m), straight on at Tesco traffic lights (500m), turn left at next traffic lights (200m). You can turn in to the car park after approx. 100 yards - there's also a medical centre, hall and church just to confuse but the Leisure Centre is obvious once you find it. Please pick up a free parking slip to place on your dashboard from the reception. They will guide you downstairs to the main hall where trestle tables will be laid out. The lift is just past the toilets if required, the stairs are just beyond that.

Apart from dynamic soaring slope soarers, we may be amongst the few getting a modelling fix this afternoon.
Just time to finish an Ikara Bulldog (penny plane)
cheers
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 05:22:10 AM »

Can we drop off at the front door? I don't have a good record with indoor models, in boxes, in wind!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 05:33:50 AM »

Are there plenty of tables?
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »

They usually put out a dozen tables but we can ask for more.

I think its ok to borrow the disabled spaces which are only 10 yards away.

The foyer gets busy in the café but the reception can watch over stuff if you need to make more than one journey.
Nigel Monk
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 05:08:01 PM »

Thanks all for your attendance and making it a success. I will jump on the committee to book some more dates (in the new year now), possibly late Jan, Feb & March. Just need to find Shawbury dates to avoid those.
N
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 05:29:57 PM »

Many thanks for organising it, Nigel, and good to meet you. It was a very pleasant afternoon. I got my SE5 sort of trimmed, without drama, in the the first 50 minutes and then put it away to spend the rest of the the time happily flying my tatty old KK Arrow and even tattier old Fairchild. Because I didn't care what happened to them they flew without damage all day! All Dan's models flew as if on rails. His big red cub was especially impressive.
Didn't actually take many pics, Bill - just this snap of a couple of yours, and one of mine because it was on its maiden mission.
Got a few vids on the iPad though, such as this one of Dan's ageing but venerable previous KS winner, SE5a 'Maule':
https://youtu.be/1iM0Wa_8HBU
It's still got it!

(Other vids posted on the relevant threads in a minute. Didn't get Bill's Focke Wulf unfortunately, but it looked good.)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:17:39 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »

It was a good session indeed! Thanks to the organisers and I hope it can be repeated. I was very pleased to prove to myself that the Cub can fly in a sports hall, despite my fears. I did write 2 rubber models off, but they were both at least 4 years old and on their last legs anyway...

Pete; Your new SE looked great!

Bil; So did yours! I TOLD you CO2 was a good idea...

Tee hee,

Dan.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: