Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 11:59:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Multiplex Funray anyone?  (Read 118 times)
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »

I've been enjoying my Multiplex Heron so much the new Multiplex Funray has my interest.  Some nice touches to this new foam warmliner include plug in wings and a hard plastic leading edge on the wing and I think on the horizontal stab as well. It has the same wing attach system used on the Heron which has proved to be very robust. It's not available yet in the USA but the RR price might be $450 which is pricey for a foam glider however I have read the servos an upgrade over those used in the heron(carbonite gears and ball bearing support). A higher Kv motor and better esc. The funray should be 4s capable although I'm sure most will fly it on 3s.. Has anyone from across the pond purchased a funray? If so can you give a report? 
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »

Haven't seen one yet!

But wow, $450 for a foamy 2 meter! Even made by Multiplex it sounds like it wouldn’t be a good value. Particularly when one looks at what is available in the $300 to $500 range at higher end vendors like Soaring USA.  I think they might be priced out of the market.
https://www.soaringusa.com/Whisper-2M-Sailplane-with-Ailerons.html
https://www.soaringusa.com/Ion-W-Flaps.html
I hope the street price is below $300 USD.

Sounds like the HS 65 servo. http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/micro-and-mini-servos/analog-micro-and-mini-servos/hs-65hb-mighty-karbonite-feather-servo/product
For $450 I’d like to see HS 5065 or better servos.
Note that Mr. Park owns both Multiplex and Hitec firms. They are not the same firms but are owned by the same man. As such if the business model warrants it, Mr. Park has no issues rebranding products across the various brands. Mr. Park is a Chinese businessman and has a very good social relationship with the owner of, Zhuhai Huamai Electronics and Model Co.  This is why we see Himax outrunners in the Multiplex RR offering, rather than Hacker or Kontronik.

Tiny S = HS 81
Nano S = HS 55

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »

If the funray had a hacker or kontronic motor in it, I'd feel better about the price.. The $450 price was a guestimate based on what they are selling for in Europe. I agree at that price point, it's time to look at something better than foam.  I think the heron at $269 and free shipping for the RR version was fair. I believe when the Heron first came out the retail price was $375. Most likely after the Funray has been out for awhile the price will drop substantially
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »

...I believe when the Heron first came out the retail price was $375. Most likely after the Funray has been out for awhile the price will drop substantially
I keep hearing the words of my grandfather; "Do not be the first on which the new is tried!"

I too think that the Heron RR in the sub $300 range is a great value! And the kit in the $170 range is a fantastic price.
I haven't added up all the cost getting my kit flyable. But I'm very happy with the performance and cost of the final product. The only blemish on my Herron experience is my choice of the DX-9 radio. But I knew this when I choose it over the Fr-Sky (Open Tx). I'm using the Herron to try to get my head around the master slave concept of radio programing.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Heron pilot
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

Well, there may be a reason the soaring community as a whole has not embraced Spektrum as a go to radio system. I don't know of any F5B pilots that use Spektrum. The only F5B pilot I know was warned NOT to use spektrum, did so anyway with a new Yuri models virage and lost link resulting in a totaled airframe. You can read about that mishap over on RCGroups. This happened maybe a week ago. I'm by no means a radio expert so I don't know what exactly happened but he said he had time to hold the radio over his head and yell "I don't have it" before it went in at over 100mph
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: