Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 11, 2018, 05:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anybody have a winder with a built-in torque meter, that they'd like to sell?  (Read 403 times)
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »

I've heard mentions of such a thing on this forum. I currently have one of the board-mounted torque meters from Dave Ziegler that works well. But to use it we'd have to disconnect both ends of a motor from the plane, mount it on the torque meter, wind it appropriately, then disconnect both ends from the torque meter and re-mount it on the plane. It might need two O-rings, one on each end of the motor, and I'm trying to avoid putting any more weight on the plane (especially near the tail) than I have to. Plus it might take extra time we don't have at a contest with the clock ticking.

I understand that some winders with torque meters built in, were made some years ago. But they seem to be out of production now, and I haven't found any on eBay, craigslist etc.

Anybody got one that you could bear to part with, for suitable compensation?
Little-Acorn
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if I could modify Ziegler's board-mounted torque meter so I could hook the back and of the plane or motor stick to the meter, while I wound up the front end of the motor, and let the plane itself rotate the meter as torque increased...? Hmmm....
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »

I've heard mentions of such a thing on this forum. I currently have one of the board-mounted torque meters from Dave Ziegler that works well. But to use it we'd have to disconnect both ends of a motor from the plane, mount it on the torque meter, wind it appropriately, then disconnect both ends from the torque meter and re-mount it on the plane. It might need two O-rings, one on each end of the motor, and I'm trying to avoid putting any more weight on the plane (especially near the tail) than I have to. Plus it might take extra time we don't have at a contest with the clock ticking.

I understand that some winders with torque meters built in, were made some years ago. But they seem to be out of production now, and I haven't found any on eBay, craigslist etc.

Anybody got one that you could bear to part with, for suitable compensation?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wilder+winder+with+torque+meter&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=cag1o3wNmI6hiM%253A%252Cn05-MPW_uYasRM%252C_&usg=__gE1SVJ-fgDqURWXQuU-GUXlkMpE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih7PS0lt3YAhURRKwKHf59AiUQ9QEIUDAD#imgrc=UBGhzDg9_lw2vM:

This is what you are looking for, Wilder with integrated torque meter.

Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »

Acorn wrote---
Hmm, I wonder if I could modify Ziegler's board-mounted torque meter so I could hook the back and of the plane or motor stick to the meter, while I wound up the front end of the motor, and let the plane itself rotate the meter as torque increased...? Hmmm....

I tried something like that. Bent a piece of music wire into a long "V" with loops on the ends. Another piece of wire went through the loops and the rear peg tube. The point of the "V", which extended some distance past the tail was hooked over the torquemeter hook. In theory, it should have worked, but in practice it was really awkward and the experiment was abandoned.

art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: