Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 12:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mystery Modeler/Coupe designs  (Read 399 times)
dohrmc
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »

Largely through the efforts of fellow Club member David Mills, Jim Walston’s Collection of models, engines, kits, supplies etc., is being sold off to clean out an outbuilding, and get his wife as much money as possible.
I ventured over there Saturday morning with a pocket full of cash, and brought home some goodies.
Most interesting were 3 beautiful model boxes. I was told they were made by a club member in the early ‘80s. He was a cabinet maker, and they are very nice. As the story was told to me, his wife left him, he built a sailboat, sold his business and disappeared.
When I opened one of the boxes, I was amazed to find two Coupes. One is complete, the other is a fuselage/prop only.
The modeler’s name is/was Wales W. Thomas, and he lived in Decatur, GA. The coupes are superbly made and covered.
The complete model has Lil Turkey on the fin, and the larger one has Nympho II on the fuselage. I believe them to be original designs.
However, in case they are not, I am asking if any of you have ever known this man, or perhaps have knowledge of the designs.  The fuselages have High pylons for cross sectional requirements I think.
I would like to fly them, and build a wing and stab for the Nympho if I can find info on the design.
Lil Turkey has never been flown, no warps, tears or damage at all. The workmanship is at the highest level.
Any help would be appreciated.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »

I do remember Wales from Georgia.  A real craftsman.  No info on the plans though.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »

Thanks, Dean. I figured it was a really long shot.

You are spot on about his craftsmanship.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:47 AM »

Some photos pf these gems would be nice. Wink

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
dohrmc
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »

Never flown Coupe, so I know nothing about these planes. I will post a picture of the one with the larger fuselage later. It had a 10 strands of 1/4” rubber in it. Black rubber. How long ago would that be?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Mystery Modeler/Coupe designs
Re: Mystery Modeler/Coupe designs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: