Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 12:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/2 size Barker Hepcat  (Read 828 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »

Having built 2 full size Hepcat's, I thought I'b build a 1/2 size one to go along with the 1/2 size Gollywock I recently completed. So I took the magazine plan and blew it up started this morning.I'm not crazy about using 1/16" squares but started. It went together quickly and will start the fuselage tomorrow. I chickened out of making a folder for the Gollywock but I will try the single blade folder for this one.It's interesting that this size falls into the Embryo-1/2 size wake class of models and
hopefully will have much the same performance as them so I'm looking forward to having something additional to fly on our small field. Pics tomorrow. 
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »

I tackled a half size Jasco Thermal Traveler a decade ago and was also worried about the 1/8 framing going to 1/16. Applehoney told me to go ahead and do it, it'll be fine. He was right. It flew away early on so I never got to find out if too much rubber tension would have collapsed it.

The concern here should be that the 1/16 square members have only a quarter of the cross-sectional area of the 1/8 square. If it worries you, you might think about using 1/16 square bass for the longerons and balsa for the rest.

art.   

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 215

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »

Larger models than these have proved quite practical with 1/16" sq. structure - however have to be handled with care.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »

Not to worry...the 1/16" sq's worked just fine cause I stripped some rock hard ones...I'm just trying to get away from building small stuff with 1/16" sq's and getting away from small scale ships...my hands are losing the touch and 3/32" and 1/8" sq. seems better...built both sides this morning and will box it up later and then get started on the prop...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »

The story so far...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1/2 size Barker Hepcat
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »

So today I started to frame up the fuselage and it looks okay so far. I'm taking my time because it is so small, even smaller than the half size Gollywock. I also carved the folder for it and I'm pleased with it. I need to find a small enough spring for the front end though. Just got my FAC newsletter and I was suprised to see the 1/2 size Gollywock in there and Brian kitting it and that FAC will try an event for it. I'll bet it is without a folder. If people can put all that effort into scale models they can surely carve a folder!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »

Check out your local locksmiths - they have a variety of small springs
Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »

Make a hairpin spring. They're better.

skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »

I'll check out both because there won't be a lot of room between the prop and nose button...
Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »

That's especially where you want a hairpin.

a.

applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »

>Make a hairpin spring. They're better.

Just a matter of personal choice, Art.   I  used hairpins years ago, switched to springs and used nothing else since.

My little 'Tenspot' - 10" span -  was fine with a tiny spring

Flyguy
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »

I kind of went in the other direction, in that I used springs for about 40 years, then I tried the hairpin, seemed appropriate to mention it here because it was actually Hepcat who motivated me to try the hairpin, see here http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20287.msg189826#msg189826  I guess I've been 'converted'!

What I like about it is that, although you can buy a bunch of springs and sort through them, making the hairpin gives me more design control. For example, I've been using either .015, .020, or .025 wire depending on the motor/prop size, and you can vary the length of the arms and the number of turns in the circle to tailor it to a specific plane. It seems like you can get a smoother stop with less click-click-click before the fold, here's a demo of the hairpin with my Comet Pepper, go in to about 7:36  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYevWT6zWo
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »

You guys have got my head spinning...I've used springs all my modelling life but I will try bending up a hairpin just to compare the two...the folder came out all right and it was interesting making a 6.75" diameter folding prop...I'm pretty sure I won't add a D/T on this one but if I did it would have to be close to the CG...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »

I just finished it and it looks pretty good...13.7 grams using mostly wood from my scarp box...I was just finishing the folder and the hinge failed (my fault) so I put the 6" black plastic prop on but I'll try the folder again...
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »

It looks neat. I notice that you have added a spar to the wing was it just a bit too flexible?

John
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »

No...I added a 1/16" spar to attach the tissue better, and try to keep the airfoil profile smoother...I use extra strength glue stik on all my models to attach tissue and it seems to work okay... I usually put it on top but I didn't want to spoil the looks.....
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 207

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »

Skyrocket, that is certainly a bit of elegant workmanship in both woodwork and covering. Is it half size in wing area or in linear dimensions, i.e. only 15 inches span?  If so I take my hat off to you.  I still have a 24 inch span one I built some years ago and that was challenging enough for me.  I particularly noticed how neat your model loooked with the wing bands running straight, fore and aft!
John 
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »

Thank you John. I'm humbled to be noticed. It is always with joy to watch the full size Hepcat go up on a fully wound motor. I need to add a tracker to it but am afraid to do anything to it because it flies so well so maybe a back up is in order. Yes, the wing span is 15" and wood sizes are by a half. Now I have to stop being a wuss and go out and fly it. I may build another old British light weight but haven't decided which one. I'm limited to a small field most of the time and these small one fit just right. How about :
Cherokee
Mick Farthing 1945 from Aeromodeller
or from the US, Lamb's Climber?
Scram
...obviously, a bigger wing is better for weight/area ratio but anything under 36" span should be fair game. I do fly 1/2 size Wakefield but I'm not as enamored with them as I used to be and the ones winning now are very unappealing...I like sleek and streamlined.
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:34 PM »

Hepcat,
How did the 24" one fly?

Skyrocket,
Nice build but I just can't handle the tiny sticks anymore. Something 20-30" with 3/32 suits me better.

bill
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »

I hear ya Bill...same with me...put 4 strands 1/16" in it and I'm ready to fly the little bugger...I think I'll build the Mick Farthing 1943 design next at 20" wing span that appeared in the Dec., 1945 Aeromodeller...I did build a full size version of it but didn't have it long enough to appreciate it...lost to the corn...
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »

How about building a mini Scram? They are lovely!!

Peter
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »

I have a full size "Scram" but at 1/2 size the 14" wing scares me a little bit...that's why I have started a 1/2 size 1943 Mick instead while I'm building a new coupe...but the "Scram" is a very elegant model and I still think the "Hepcat" ticks all the boxes for me in saying "Duration" ...how about a 1/2 size "Last Resort"?...try getting a blast tube down that fuselage! funny, I've never built a full size "Last Resort" because of that fact...or how about a Brian Faulkner "Thermalier mk.1"?...the list is endless...and that's not even mentioning cabin types (like the "Rara Avis")...
vintagemike
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »

What about "Chad30"?
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »

Yep...that's a another nice one but there is a Chad 20 so you don't have to scale anything!...and there is another sweet model called "Jumping Jive", very sleek and streamlined...
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »

> a Chad 20

Built one in 2005 - nice little airplane
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print