Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2018, 05:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Waco SRE  (Read 3646 times)
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »

The ATC number for the Waco E series is 714 so they will appear in U.S. Civil Aircraft, Vol. 8 by Joseph Juptner.
Juptner provides a 1, 2 or 3 page description of each aircraft but he may not mention the construction of the ailerons or elevators.

You asked what the book I mentioned looked like. See the first attached image. The second image is another book about the cabin Wacos. It does not improve in the first book in the case of the E series Wacos. The third image is the dust jacket of my copy of U.S. Civil Aircraft, Vol. 6 by Joseph Juptner. Other copies may look different.

Paul
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Walt Mooney Waco SRE
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:56 PM »

I have just ordered Juptner volumes 7 & 8 via Amazon to expand my collection, (don't need vol 9). Expected arrival is December 21st 2017. I will see what further information is available from Vol 8 if you can wait until then.

Paul
abl
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »

I have just ordered Juptner volumes 7 & 8 via Amazon to expand my collection, (don't need vol 9). Expected arrival is December 21st 2017. I will see what further information is available from Vol 8 if you can wait until then.

Paul

No problem, I've got enough to build from and it won't affect anything other than final decoration. If there is any more information, I can add it to the drawing and get it re-validated.

I'm 99.7% certain that the elevators, rudder and ailerons are constructed from ribs and fabric because there are enough photographs available to show the ribs and/or rib tapes. I don't know about the flaps, though, and I don't know how the ribs are arranged (spacing-wise) on the ailerons.

Hoping to get the tail surfaces built very soon, but we're away for much of the weekend which might put a spanner in the works.
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 50

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 08:00:12 AM »

This is late, but I asked the National Waco Club about the wings of the SRE (all E-series).  They confirmed what you ahve suspected:  the wings are sheeted with plywood, then covered with fabric.

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
abl
Silver Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

Have finally done the horizontal stabilizer; as seen here it weighs 0.18 grams which is a little bit disappointing, I think the outline laminations might have been made with some wood that was a little bit on the heavy side.

I had a go at making the fin and had just got the outline finished when it was pointed out to me that the drawings didn't match the photographs in certain important details - in fact I had a list of observations and errors about a page and a half long. So it was clear that the drawings would have to be updated, and then I was going to have to re-draw Walt Mooney's original fuselage because it was a bit too long and the cowl was a bit too big in diameter, making it look a little bit (if you close one eye and squint) like a Mister Mulligan at the front.

The scale drawing in image #3 is almost right - and it took hours and hours (days, even) of measuring and tracing photos; it needs the following changes before it can be re-submitted for validation:
  • Rear cabin windows are still not quite the right shape
  • Spats are nearly right but need a little bit taking off the top-front quarter
  • Needs a thin pinstripe at colour boundaries
  • There are quite a few avionics antennas and the like to be added to the bottom of the fuselage

The last two images are the revised fuselage plan, and they look about right to me; still not decided what to do about the prop shaft, I might use an adjustable nose bearing if the weight penalty isn't too severe.
abl
Silver Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »

I've discovered an adjustable nose bearing (see picture) in the dark recesses of my toolbox and it turns out that it's only about 0.5 gram heavier than a standard nose bearing, so I'm going to give it a go; I thinking of a large balsa nose plug that's big enough to allow a fully-wound motor back into the fuselage and then a small box from 1/64" ply that the adjustable plug fits into; should be able to slide it out for thrust line adjustments which are done from the back of the unit.

I'm waiting for the fin/rudder shape to be verified; I think the new drawing is probably OK I don't want to make a new outline and then find that it's wrong because that would be the third attempt!... Smiley I think I'm probably looking at a response from the STC after Christmas just because of how things have panned out, but that's OK because it means that I can start my Christmas build a bit early this year.
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 02:02:27 AM »

Any news on this build ? Smiley

Im wondering how well the original Mooney SRE is suited for a first peanut scale model ? I’ve built a 19in SRE RC and am looking for a candidate for micro RC and I just love the SRE.
Cheers
Phillip
abl
Silver Member

Topic starter
Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »

Sorry, it's all going a bit slow at the moment because updating the scale drawing to a standard where it can be certified by the STC is turning out to be a much bigger task than originally anticipated, and to be completely honest I've yet to summon up the gumption to finish it (the drawing) off. And as it's summer (just) other things have intruded. I will get back to it in a few months, though.

WRT how well the original Mooney SRE is suited as a first peanut scale model, looking at the plan I don't think there's anything difficult about it although unless you're careful with wood selection and covering they do seem to turn out a bit heavy.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »

I am building the Mooney one (it turns out) and no problems really - but building a peanut is a new experience!  Have fun then - a picture of mine is in this section. so far nudging the 10 gramme mark - but a little sanding to do still - plus prop and motor and covering. So I am way past the 7.9gms line. 
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 124

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »

Great looking build!

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »

WOW ! Crabby - that is one sharp looking Shocked  biplane Waco SRE peanut (12"?) model. (I assume that is your model Crabby)    Cheesy    What size rubber motor do these little peanut bipes fly on?   How many strands, size, and generally how many winds on the rubber motor approximately, and about how long of a good average flight would you expect?   Maybe the Peanut size model is the way to go for a small park flyer like me ...   Good pics too Crabby!   Smiley
Looking forward to your build David and abl  !!!
LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:10:50 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 124

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 08:24:22 PM »

Guys I didn't mean to post those pics here, I had mistaken this SRE thread for another. By the time I realized my screw up it was too late and I had to say something, and I forgot to dump the pics. So I accidentally hijacked this thread, then I did it all over again the right way on the other thread. I am sorry abl! I was just trying to show snaky stringer the obscene amount of ballast and downthrust it took to fly an otherwise pretty light model. Oh well back to your masterful build thread!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:41:08 PM by Crabby » Logged

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: