Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brown A-23 CO2 motor- how to mend blown filler-valve?  (Read 308 times)
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »

Picked up a lovely little Brown A-23 recently, never been used in a model.  I lightly oiled it and it ran beautifully for a couple of gas charges.  But when I tried a brief liquid charge, the valve in the filler-nozzle failed as soon as I withdrew the bottle and the pressure blew straight out!  All subsequent gas charges now also blow.

Having looked at an older thread on exactly the same issue, it appears that the valve in the Brown nozzle is some sort of tiny cone of unknown material, maybe some type of rubber?  Something light brown in colour can sometimes just be glimpsed below the pin which spans the threaded inside of the aluminium nozzle-part, but I haven't yet summoned the courage to try to drift the tiny soft aluminium pin out.

I assume that, once I've removed the pin, I'll find a shrivelled or fractured cone, which will need replacing with something to hand.  (In fact 'shrivelled' makes sense, as I presume the factory-fitted cone would have been big and firm enough to seat correctly and not rotate or jam.)

Then I'll need to replace it with something to hand.  I assume a steel ball-bearing isn't suitable (might distort the aluminium?), but what about the  black rubber ball-valves supplied in the spares packet of most Gasparin motors?

Or any other suggestions?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Brown A-23 CO2 motor- how to mend blown filler-valve?
Brown A-23 CO2 motor- how to mend blown filler-valve?
GM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »

You are entirely correct. The valve is a tiny cylinder or cone of rubber. I cannot remember if the bore is cylindrical or tapered.

The liquid charge being very cold shrank and freeze dried the perished piece beyond the point of no return.

The Gasparin rubber ball should work fine or just a small cylinder cut from an o-ring. Either way you will not hurt anything by trying.

danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:38:29 AM »

If the ball doesn't work, I have some replacement bung material.

Dan.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:51:03 AM »

Thanks guys.

Will first drift out the pin, then see what I can use ready-made, or what can be fabricated by way of an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot cone  Shocked

Dan, I assume your 'material' is some kind of plastic with a rubbery give?
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 03:03:55 AM »

Yes, it's a small diameter flexible rubber type stuff. Possibly neoprene, but it worked well in a couple of my Browns that suffered from the same problem as yours.

Dan.
danmellor
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:32:43 AM »

Have you tried the rubber ball yet?!

Dan.
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »

Not yet Dan.  Its on the job's list... after I've finished the bottom-up rebuild of the Bristol Scout  Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: