Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Waco SRE 18in Peter Rake design  (Read 867 times)
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:25:55 AM »

Hey Guys,

after building the Tiger Moth last year i`ve had a craving for stick and tissue Cheesy I also started another build project, something much larger and the size of the project is so daunting that i needed some in between build thats relatively quick to complete to keep my building motivation.

SO i decided to get a Peter Rake WACO SRE short kit from Manzano Laserworks, for the 18in version of his SRE design.
It`s designed around the Parkzone mirco "brick" RC system and their micro P51 geared drive. I`ve previously built a lot of foam micro planes with similar equipment so i have a parts bin full of stuff waiting to be put into a plane again.

due to the precision of the cut parts the build progresses rapidly, the only issue i have is that here i can only get metric sized balsa and sticks and it`s allways not quite the right thickness, so i`ve usually gone to the slightly thicker material.

Basic framing of the wings, fuselage and tailsurfaces took about 4-5 evenings.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Waco SRE 18in Peter Rake design
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:56:17 AM »

some more pics of the build, quite happy with how the covering of the wings and tail surfaces turned out, as much as i was dreading to do it before Cheesy

Then started adding the balsa blocks to fair in the area between cowl and square fueslage, that cause a serious DUH moment, as i was lacking the patience and tried to do it with a disk sander.. worked real well for the first half, during the second half i touched the upwards going part of the disk and CRACK pieces of sticks flying everywhere i completely destroyed teh rear part of the fuselage... was good therapy rebuilding that... i`ll not do hat again thats for sure Cheesy
Re: Waco SRE 18in Peter Rake design
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »

Finally slaughtered an old Foamy Sukhoi for the BL engine and ESC and the "brick" and after much Hemmm-ing and Haww-ing cut into teh bottom fuselage to make a hatch for access to the brick and battery space.
i`ll probably mount the hatch with small magnets and use the cowl flap to pull it out when changing the battery.

Weight of all parts including RC and battery so far is 55g 
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »

Coming along well and good weight, especially considering the generous wing area.  Love the "slaughtered" foamy donor part. Grin The BL setup with a "real" ESC is my preferred setup, which you appear to have here.  Reprogrammed one of the Spektrum bricks to drive a BL ESC years ago for a Guillow's Rumpler, before the BL version came out. 
Batton
Bronze Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:09 AM »

It's going well so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses. Keep the updates coming please.
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »

Well not too much progress yesterday night, only got the wheel pants made and the gear legs excluding the gear wire yet.   It installed the brick with hot glue and put the pushrods in. I’ll still need to make up
A motor mount (am debating if I should 3D print one Wink )

As my motor, ESC and Akku are not per design I’ve mocked the whole
Plane up with everything in place to see if it would balance and so far it does quite ok. So onwards and upwards, but unfortunately I’ll have a assignment to fly for the Swiss Army for next week so I’ll have a bit of a building pause.
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »

Ok here goes some progress report..

I´ve returned from a switzerland and got my motor mount printed and installed. With that out of the way i started doing teh rest of the covering jobs. like wheel pants, and fuselage.
Covering went well, just that the top of the fuselage between the wings is a large open bay and i didn`t consider that shrinking the tissue might pull it in, which it did a bit and that`s going to cause a gap between the wing rib and the fuselage side. Well i`ll try o think about how to fix that, maybe i`ll just make a paper fillet and cover with tissue to hide i Wink

last thing today way covering the cowl, I tried to cover it witha single piece, which works ok at the flat part. I then made radial cuts in to curv it around teh nose ring, but got relatively large overlaps... any way on how to prevent that for future builds ?

cheers
Phillip
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »

Phillip,

I've had some luck using an online cone calculator to size arcs of tissue for covering the curved front of radial cowls - see post #197 on my FF Waco SRE thread for some pictures and narrative. 

Thread is here, post with the cowl tissue is towards the bottom of the page:  http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=21454.197

Hope this helps - your Waco is coming together nicely!

Cheers,

Mike
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »

Wow mike that is one beautiful Waco ! I think i`ll have to go through that whole thread, so much amazing building o look at! I`ve still got the 28in Waco to build so i can use a lot of inspiration from your build later even if i might not be able to do as well in the small one Smiley

Saw the pics with for the cowl ring and it makes a lot of sense! i`m pretty new to tissue covering, it`s just my second tissue plane after the Tiger Moth and its actually the first time i tried wet tissue covering, and here i`d like to know how wet is wet ? Cheesy

i misted the tissue then laid it over the cowl but it seems that the tissue is drying very quickly, do you guys keep misting the tissue  throughout, does it have to be nearly soaking ?
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »

Thanks Phillip.  When covering wet I'm just misting the tissue with a spray bottle - my experience has been if I get it too wet I'll end up tearing it.

Cheers,

Mike
Tiger Tim
Copper Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »

Covering went well, just that the top of the fuselage between the wings is a large open bay and i didn`t consider that shrinking the tissue might pull it in, which it did a bit and that`s going to cause a gap between the wing rib and the fuselage side.
Assuming the wings get glued on, use a glue that shrinks a lot like Ambroid or Sigment.  You might get lucky and have it pull the gap closed as it dries.  I know of people leaving similar gaps on purpose on larger models just so that the drying glue pulls the tissue drum-tight.
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »

Thanks for the tip I’ll try that. If not I’ll just make a gap cover with paper maybe.
Still plodding along slowly with finishing.
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 10:43:04 AM »

Got the side trim finished too and the cockpit glazing (just didn’t make a picture yet. Now only the numbers missing and some small details and she’s ready for assembly Smiley
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:14 PM »

Nearly there, just missing the numbers. But ready for maiden!
Canopy flying didn’t go as well as I hoped but oh wellesson learned..

Final weight a porky 69g don’t know where I picked up the last 9g..
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »

What a pretty little model with an office top itself.
Bet you can't wait to fly that.
Merry Christmas
John
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »

I couldn’t and I already did Smiley in the free of dawn with no wind.
Flies great! Slow and stable turns extremely nicely, am absolutely happy with it !
Batton
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 04:18:30 AM »

Fabulous job, really well done (again). A video of it flying would be nice too!  Smiley
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 05:32:39 AM »

It looks really nice. I have a CO2 Micro X version powered by a Gasparin GM63, of about the same span that I took out flying last Sunday (3 Dec) and is now starting to perform. Just a small amount of right side thrust required. The weight is about the same as yours and is in the green and yellow scheme. Pictures to follow when I get back to NZ as I am currently in the UK for Christmas.
Ricky 
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:58 AM »

Great looking forward to that, funny enough I was just yesterday browsing the Gasparin page and I have to say RC-ing a CO2 powered model is intriguing Smiley I’ve read they have a control valve, I’ll have to see if I can get some specs.. what kind of run time do you get of the air pressure tank? And is the weight given including the tank?

Cheers
Phillip
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 06:42:05 AM »

Lovely Waco Phil - and yes please videos  Grin

The weight figures for Gasparin motors include the tank.  It it certainly feasible to use one to power RC, but you won't get anything like the ease, reliability (especially in cold humid weather) and motor run than you will with an electric/battery setup.  Don't know anything about the throttle-regulator mechanism, but with the additional weight of RC gear (and with a full liquid charge) you'll likely be needing to fly on full power almost all the time, and so duration will be very limited.
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »

The throttle regulator is simply a lever at the bottom of the cylinder. Moving it the cylinder screws in/out and alters the compression and therefor the rpm's.
IIRR there was only the GS 300 with RC throttle included.

Your Wako SRE is a beauty Phil, compliments  Roll Eyes Tongue

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 03:14:18 AM »

Thanks guys i`m really happy with how it came out. This forum has been a tremendous help with finding information on covering etc. i haven`t done in 35 years or so.

Anyone know what kind of font they use for the Numbers on the wing ? thats the last bits missing and some scale detail (exhausts, pitot tube) then she`s completely done.
Flight video will have to wait its currently extremely windy here unfortunately i`m itching to fly here Cheesy
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

So made up the decals for the tail with printable watersliding decals and the N-Numbers from black tissue Smiley
They are not super straight but I’m happy with the result.
Got also 2 little exhaust stubs on and decided to leave out the pitot and antennas as they will for sure break off during transport.

So she’s finally finished !

Next flying video as soon as the storm abates
meatbomber
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 03:30:33 AM »

And finally a flight video Smiley

It’s flies extremely well. I get about 3:30 minted from a 2S 110mAh Lipo.
Initially I was a bit chargrined to find out I had reversed the moto mounting plate which has a slot to give some right thrust.. my motor is installed with no right or maybe a slight left thrust, but I needed not worry the model flies completely straight with zero trim required. If your looking for an easy build micro plane that flies extremely well right of the building board this one is for you Smiley

https://youtu.be/nNVvBnotpbY
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 04:32:25 AM »

What a lovely little model!  Smiley Well done Phil.

So is that a 5g outrunner?
And what prop are you using?

Jon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: