Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MUTN F1B  (Read 382 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:07:31 AM »

This is my new F1B based on the Vivchar Suprima from 2003 but with shorter straight tips, different pylon and rudder. No wing wiggler just auto rudder and VIT using a set of W Hobby F1B bits I bought nearly twenty years ago. The spars are carbon fiber fishing pole tubes as is the tail boom,the motor tube is made from two layers of 180 g/ sq mt carbon-kevlar I had laying around and the joiner was molded around the end of a tuned pipe because it just happened to be the only thing I could find the right shape and size. The reverse Montreal front end and the prop is a hand me down from the late Guy Bateman which will have to do until I make up a Hiborks front end to suit. Perth is the worlds most remote capital city with a very small number of free flight flyers so unfortunately we scramble to get the numbers to make a contest in rubber events and with F1B getting so expensive and technical only Paul Rossiter takes it seriously on this side of the continent. I only fly F1B for fun hence the acronym MUTN, making up the numbers.
Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
MUTN F1B
MUTN F1B
MUTN F1B
MUTN F1B
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:36 AM »

Sandgroper:

Looks great!  I can't believe you kept a tuned pipe mold after all these years. Good repurposing!

Please let us know how it flies.

Louis
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »

I meant I used a tuned pipe as the mold. Grin I bought a MDS 15 ( Utkum 15) with tuned pipe for $29 years ago and never really found a use for it until now. I am not using mylar or vacuum bagging only wrapping the carbon - kevlar with cloth bandage hence the rough outer surface which gets a rub with wet and dry and a couple of coats of dope. I make up small sections of carbon fiber tubing to join things up and for local reinforcement by using sockets of different sizes as molds and putting them in the oven to speed curing. Not very professional but it gets the job done.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: MUTN F1B
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:42:40 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Sandgroper;

One thing that might work for future molding of CF/Kevlar parts is to use plastic tape of some sort as the first wrap. The tape needs to be non-adhesive and have a small amount of stretch. I've heard of people using wide tape from old video tapes, strips of heavy-weight drop cloths, or shrink tape. The only thing I've used was some heavy clear plastic sheet cut into about 15mm wide strips. If you blot off as much resin as possible before wrapping, it will save a bit of weight and reduce the amount of resin "ridges" after the epoxy hardens.

Louis
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »

Louis,

thanks for the tip, I have plenty of old VHS tapes. As you can see my experience working with carbon fiber is rather limited but it's fun learning. We are just getting into summer here so unless we score a few cool days we will not be doing any flying until early March.

Phil
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:34:17 AM »

Sandgroper;

One thing that might work for future molding of CF/Kevlar parts is to use plastic tape of some sort as the first wrap. The tape needs to be non-adhesive and have a small amount of stretch. I've heard of people using wide tape from old video tapes, strips of heavy-weight drop cloths, or shrink tape. The only thing I've used was some heavy clear plastic sheet cut into about 15mm wide strips. If you blot off as much resin as possible before wrapping, it will save a bit of weight and reduce the amount of resin "ridges" after the epoxy hardens.

Louis

I've heard a couple things about VHS tapes based on many posts on RCG's HLG forum (posts about "roll your own DLG fuselages").

1. There is a difference between the sides of the tape ... one side sticks, the other side does not.

2. Some brands are better than others.

Point here is that you should probably experiment a bit with VHS tape prior to committing to a build.

Regards-
Dave
dephela
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »

Regular electrical tape works fine, it has a good bit of stretch to it. Apply with the adhesive side out, no problem after the first wrap to secure it.

Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: