Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: flaps for senior telemaster  (Read 178 times)
L. NITZ
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:24:09 PM »

building a Senior Telemaster and would like to add flaps. is there a % that can be cut off the ailerions that is recommended?
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »

There is a youtube vid of flaps on a Telemaster here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQtVe5G4LY
ian
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »

I've found that the Senior Telemaster was weak in roll authority. I would not cut down on their size. I assume you are staying with the strip style ailerons. But is you do cut them to add flaps. I would go with a 60/40 ratio, 60 being the aileron. And then mix the flaps as ailerons to try to maintain whatever aileron authority the original had.

From a flight perspective I can't think of why you would want to add flaps other than to land backwards in a slight head wind. Roll Eyes

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 124

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »

IIRC, the Senior and Giant Telemaster's had inset (barn-door) ailerons - at least the ones available in Europe.  I was at a fly-in back in the '80s where I observed Max Merkenschlager put a giant version - with a gasoline motor - thru a nearly complete RC1 pattern, plus knife-edge passes from one end of the field to the other.  He even performed a knife-edge loop, some high-alpha near stand-still "hovering" and other wierd (for that time-frame) maneuvers with it.

Yes, it had flaps, and while the rolls were not on the order of modern 3D planes, it did not indicate any "lack" of roll authority.  Max's show ALMOST convinced me to buy one.

Konrad's recommendation for the splitting ratio is good.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »

The Senior Telemaster kit as imported into the USA by Hobby Lobby had strip ailerons.  I think the US made kits also had strip ailerons. The Giant Telemaster  had large barn doors. Both had very pronounce adverse yaw. If flying aerobatics add or reinforce the wing strut attaching points! To get any effective roll control with the Telemasters I had to add a lot of rudder. Without rudder input the Senior Telemaster would rather yaw (adverse yaw) and go the opposite direction from the roll (aileron) input. This is what I define as "Lack of Roll Authority".

WOW, knife edge loops! heck I couldn't keep her on heading in knife edge. Undecided

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
L. NITZ
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »

thanks to all for the help. i'll give thought to your suggestions before I proceed.

L. Nitz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: