Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 03:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pistachio scale Vought F4U Corsair  (Read 4135 times)
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 102

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 03:57:25 AM »

I hate to get a little off topic but, Richard, your I-16 design was a hit at the last WESTFAC in Arizona. A father-son team of George and Jonathon Nunez took your balsa peanut plan in a 1994 issue of Aeromodeller and enlarged it to, I think, 20"span. They decked them out in Spanish Civil War colors and flew them very successfully. The show stopper flight was an impromptu mass launch between the two and they circled together trying to get on each others tail right in front of the tents----it was very cool. Jonathan got flights of 55 seconds after some initial trimming challenges and was a serious competitor. Interestingly, both planes were very spirally unstable until a couple of tricks were pulled. Jonathon glued a small clear plastic vane right at the front of the cowl which cut down on the effect of the vertical tail. His dad, George, cut down on the actual vertical tail itself and from that point on they flew like piper cubs. You can see the cut-down sheet balsa rudder on George's. In looking at the side view of the airplane itself with that big cowl area ahead of the CG, you would think that it would need a BIGGER vertical tail rather than a smaller one but not so. At any rate, they were tickled with the results as it is a lot of fun to see models fly in spite of themselves.....and it is so gratifying to astound the peanut gallery of experts too!
Wow! Thanks for this news Tom. I'm chuffed George and Jonathon have got such pleasure from this little design. I too remember being amazed at how well my little peanut model flew, and for that matter the foam Pistachio too. None were built with any real hope that they would fly well, but more so because I liked the looks of the full size. As you say they just seem to fly in spite of themselves!

Richard Crossley
GRB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

Its built using the carved foam technic that I pioneered with others about 20 years ago.

Interesting thread.  Where can I find more information about the carved foam technique?

Thanks
GRB
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 04:03:13 AM »

At long last, some more progress on my Vought Corsair. This is booked in for the big indoor comp in Nijmegen in November. I've got a few of the fiddly bits done, like making up the small nose block assembly, and carving a ridiculously small pilot. I had to use a bright desk lamp and couple of pairs of glasses, giving me +5 magnification to to this. Current weight of all the components is 1.72 grams.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Pistachio scale Vought F4U Corsair

Richard Crossley
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 04:37:26 AM »

Looks like another winner on the way, Richard  Smiley

I have to admit having a dabble with two pairs of glasses after watching the clock repairer on 'The Repair Shop'.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »

No! I'm sorry but that pilot is impossible!  Grin
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 162

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »

Hmm! - You'll need to make another pilot - his nose is out of scale  Cheesy

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 06:30:14 AM »

I’m afraid I don’t believe the pilot photos either. It seems far more likely that you’ve simply found a way to greatly increase the size of your fingers.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 39

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »

I agree, Pete, there is definetely some foul play there.

I suspect he first made s couple of huge fingers and then the pilot, in order to fool us... That is why we do not see the rest of the hand. He thought it would be enough to get away with it...

scale free flight & micro RC
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »

You’ve been rumbled mate!
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »

You guys! Wink

Richard Crossley
Andrew Darby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »

That’s Handy...boom boom!

Wow Richard truly amazing!

Andrew

Klunk
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »

Hi Richard,  I think I actually bought your how-to guide back in '97 or '98.  Would you please describe how you got that nice finish on the Polikarpov?  I'm working on a foam Cessna C-337 peanut right now.  The foam I am using is pink flooring insulation that is similar to the Dow blue foam.  It sands well but not any smoother than a matte finish.  Thanks, Marlin
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »

Hi Richard,  I think I actually bought your how-to guide back in '97 or '98.  Would you please describe how you got that nice finish on the Polikarpov?  I'm working on a foam Cessna C-337 peanut right now.  The foam I am using is pink flooring insulation that is similar to the Dow blue foam.  It sands well but not any smoother than a matte finish.  Thanks, Marlin
Hi Marlin. If the foam is the right grade, you should be able to finish with 1200 grit paper. You need to make sure that you keep the model dust free, the final sanding is almost more like wiping. I just airbrushed quickly a very light base white on the Corsair, to act as a primer, but I do remember the white areas on the little Polikarpov were just the white foam, and not painted. After spraying it can be 'wiped' with the 1200 paper, and then its ready for the rest of the paint. Sounds complex, but really only takes a few minutes, particularly if you spray before assembly. Practise on a bit of scrap first. Having a white base is a good starting point before spraying the colour. When I used the Blue Dow Floormate foam, I would only build military stuff as the camo colours went on fine over the blue base. Personally I wouldn't attempt a civilian 'white' aircraft out of anything but white foam. I remember some folk were tissue covering the foam to get a better surface. This is defo not the way to go on a small model as it stops the foam flexing, and is very heavy. Hope this helps, Richard

Richard Crossley
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »

Thanks Richard, that helps a lot.  Are you using acrylic paint?  Nevermind, I went back through the thread and see that you are using Tamiya acrylic.
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 06:06:24 AM »

I started working on painting the wing last night. The Tamiya acrylic sprays beautifully with my airbrush, coverage was good and smooth. The Tamiya colour range is limited, so the Intermediate and Sea Blue shades need mixing up from other colours, but thats pretty easy as mix ratios can be found on many plastic modelling websites. I think the blue tones will look quite pretty when finished, and will contrast nicely with the red bordered 1943 US insignia I'm using. I need to take the texturing and weathering further, as can be seen by the photo of the real one, but its a start.

Richard Crossley
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »

Made a bit of a cock-up with the US National insignia on the Corsair wing. I used a mask to cover the white foam whilst I sprayed blue paint, then painted in the insignia detail with a 'OOO' brush. When I went to paint the blue disk I found the star would not line up properly with the white part of the bars. After lots of head scratching, I realised my mistake - I'd never noticed before, but the bar extensions on the side of the Insignia sit slightly higher than centre. Not knowing this I'd placed the mask on the wing the wrong way up, so if the star was to fit would have to have faced backwards! Doh! I have managed to bodge things and it doesn't look too bad. I've built lots of US aircraft with this type of marking, so I can't imagine why I had not noticed it before.
Photo shows a Typical Insignia of the period, against one I have inverted so you can see the bar sitting slightly higher than centre. I've checked a few other sources which are the same, so I don't think its just the artwork I used.

Richard Crossley
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »

Hey!  It looks good from my house!
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »

Well spotted Richard, that's a valuable observation. At least you didn't continue the red circle right around, like wot I done on my F6F of last year. The American readers of my thread were too polite to point this out - I hope it didn't make them cringe too much.

Beats me how you can work at this scale. Incredible.

Stephen.
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

Well spotted Richard, that's a valuable observation. At least you didn't continue the red circle right around, like wot I done on my F6F of last year. The American readers of my thread were too polite to point this out - I hope it didn't make them cringe too much.

Stephen.
I like it though Stephen!
A bit more delving and I found the attached...

Richard Crossley
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »

Stephen.

It beats a great many decent folk how both of you can each work at the scales you do!  Grin
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »

I put the National Insignia on the underside of the wing last night - and it got it the right way up too! I also did a bit of line work with my Rotring.

Richard Crossley
Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »

There you go with that giant ✋ again !!!

On a more serious note. Do you use any sort of filler ( e.g. microballoons ) in your paint, or do you just spray on the bare foam ?

Always a pleasure and an education to see one of your builds  Smiley
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »

There you go with that giant ✋ again !!!

On a more serious note. Do you use any sort of filler ( e.g. microballoons ) in your paint, or do you just spray on the bare foam ?

Always a pleasure and an education to see one of your builds  Smiley

Ha ha. Thanks for the compliments. No, no filler at all just finely sanded. These little jobs need to be ultra-basic to keep the weight down. There is really not much too them.

Richard Crossley
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »

I managed to get the basic blue shades on the fuselage last night. The white areas are the raw foam, and were simply masked over with Frog tape.
The dash was a tiny paper print-out.

Richard Crossley
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »

That is looking good.

I found a good source of graphics for those of use who are less artistically gifted. The old PC flight simulator IL2 contains artwork for the skins of most WW2 aircraft including their instrument panels. The resolution is fairly low but good enough for up to peanut size.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: